Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

30K Service Serpentine Belt 2.0 Engine

44K views 83 replies 42 participants last post by  pocholin 
#1 · (Edited)
Made my 30K appointment yesterday, no issues. The Service Manager noted that the serpentine belt should be replaced, a 3 hour job and which as quoted brings the bill to $700. I am tempted to pass- as noted before my Stelvio is more of a long-distance runner and has never been even near the red line. The engine is being phased into other FCA mainstream vehicles such as Cherokee and Wrangler and others planned for the future. Hard to believe these would call for a $700 service at only 30K. So I am reading into this that Alfas, being classed as 'sporting' vehicles are assumed to be subject to severe hard use- in my case (and many of us) this is simply not the application of the vehicle. I am seriously thinking of deferring this service and instead having the tech do a visual instead.

That said, the dealer is excellent and has high credibility and I would usually be inclined to follow the advice, same as medical advice. First time I've ever questioned advice given from them/him. My wife will be pissed at a $700 bill on an almost-new vehicle + she will be with me as we are honing in on a 500X to replace her A4.

Has any other 2.0 owner had the work done? What potential effect on the Warranty? Why in this application and not mainstream vehicles with the same engine? What risk (other than failure) is there?

Interesting thread her for 2.0 in Giulia: https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/...iscussion/30729-2-0-belt-service-2.html?amp=1

Thoughts? Thanks as always in advance!

See less See more
Reactions: TexStelvio
#38 ·
Called my dealer for a 30K service quote on my TI. He initially said for the belt, plugs, brake oil, and oil/filter it would be 5K. I about dropped the phone, then he said oops sorry that is for the Quad!! Wow 5K is crazy, but I guess if you need to remove engine it may make sense. They quoted $900 for the TI. Still a lot.

#39 ·
In reality, if they are iridium plugs....no change needed. Most vehicles have 100K intervals with Iridiums. Belt is overkill also. Seems the Italians have belt o phobia. Modern belts last 7-10 years on everything. Brakes are just labor and with a vacu bleed could be done in less than an hour. Modern vehicles need so little maintenance, and make so few trips back to the dealer, that it seems the Italians are creating opportunities. Same with my Maserati and my dealer even told me so!!! BTW also my Alfa dealer so after 30 years, they have a vested interest in being honest with me!

#41 ·
Should be in the manual under specs.

#45 ·
Speaking of 30k service, what have folks who hit that paid? I had it done today and it was about $350 in parts and $630 in service. Ouch, but I knew what I was getting into. My 20k service was around $600.

They found a small leak in the radiator (covered under warranty). Said they've seen a handful of these on Alfas. I have to drive about 80 miles for service since the one in my city closed. The crapper is that they couldn't replace it today cause they said Alfa won't let them keep radiators in stock, so it was ordered. Will be in tomorrow, but I spent the day out of town today already so will have to wait a few more for that. Good that they caught it for me. Stinks that it couldn't have been done with the 30k service and the recall.

Sean

#46 ·
Everyone here makes interesting points however my 2017 Giulia has hit 100k miles recently and I’ve always done my own maintenance. I have never had to replace the belt and I’ve inspected it at every milestone. Just keep an eye on things such as belts and only replace when necessary. You should be checking your engine bay and major components for safety. If your not well that’s just silly…..

#47 ·
Stelvio and Giulia use 68326261AA which is the same as Gates K060730

I highly recommend Gates. We use it on all our performance builds for spinning positive displacement superchargers on tough griptec pulleys spinning them to 25k rpm.

Specifically we use the heavy duty green ones (aka tractor belts) whenever they are available vand theyre available for us...

#63 ·
I hope you are correct with the Gates HD belt. Just ordered mine today.
Thanks for the recommendation.
Mike

Reactions: GWRmotohead
#50 ·
Same belt, same engine, same tune. Many dealers are following the new schedule on the older models. More than one recent thread on this forum about a person bringing their Stelvio for the 30k and getting smaller bill than expected because of that.

New schedule calls for the belt to be checked at each oil change and replaced when needed or 150k.

Spark plug interval has changed too. Dealers are following the new schedule for that also.

This is probably because Alfa realized what many owners already have..the original maintenance schedule was overly aggressive. Which makes sense given the engine (along with the rest of the platform and factory that built it) was entirely new, so the real maintenance needs weren't known, they were estimated based on computer modeling. Now that there is several years of real world data taken from actual use scenarios, the maintenance needs are known not estimated, and as such have been revised.

Regardless doing what your manual says is just fine.

#52 ·
It is the recommended interval on page 210 of the 2021 Alfa Romeo Stelvio owners manual as downloaded from the Alfa Romeo site today...also the same on the copies I looked at last month.

You have to look at the schedule for the 2.0, not the 2.9. Belt 150k, plugs 60k.

Attachments

#54 ·
I have posted this before - I had my 36k service at my Indy alfa shop - $800 including tax. Serp belt, brake fluid flush, plugs, air filter, oil change, climate filter, all service checks for warranty compliance. System reset properly.

I was recently at dealer service for a $800 cruse control re-alignment, not covered by warranty. They told me my brake pads were separating from the backing plate and they recommended replacing my front pads AND rotors. They blamed poor quality aftermarket parts. LOL I checked it out. The Porterfield RS4 pads are perfect. And when I had replaced rotors I used OEM brembo parts. What a load of ****.

#55 ·
Never had any intenmtion of changing it. Exact same thing on my Maserati. Inspect it!. I can't remember the last belt or hose I changed, let alone none have EVER failed.

#58 ·
Made my 30K appointment yesterday, no issues. The Service Manager noted that the serpentine belt should be replaced, a 3 hour job and which as quoted brings the bill to $700. I am tempted to pass- as noted before my Stelvio is more of a long-distance runner and has never been even near the red line. The engine is being phased into other FCA mainstream vehicles such as Cherokee and Wrangler and others planned for the future. Hard to believe these would call for a $700 service at only 30K. So I am reading into this that Alfas, being classed as 'sporting' vehicles are assumed to be subject to severe hard use- in my case (and many of us) this is simply not the application of the vehicle. I am seriously thinking of deferring this service and instead having the tech do a visual instead.

That said, the dealer is excellent and has high credibility and I would usually be inclined to follow the advice, same as medical advice. First time I've ever questioned advice given from them/him. My wife will be pissed at a $700 bill on an almost-new vehicle + she will be with me as we are honing in on a 500X to replace her A4.

Has any other 2.0 owner had the work done? What potential effect on the Warranty? Why in this application and not mainstream vehicles with the same engine? What risk (other than failure) is there?

Interesting thread her for 2.0 in Giulia: 2.0 Belt service

I wonder if we are getting a square deal on required/routine maintenance! I was quoted $1100 for the 2 year/24K. When I picked up the car I was told that the belt was out of stock! I sure didn't get $700 knocked off the bill!

#59 ·
Is there any truth to the 2.0 engine serpentine belt in the manual of the 2019 being 36k replace and 2020 and newer manuals showing this change mileage as much higher mileage number? I thought I saw that in the forum once and wondered why if these engines are pretty much same with same part number for belt? And what should be accepted at the dealership? I dont know of or ever owned any vehicle that required this belt be changed so early in its life.

#60 ·
My understanding is nothing about the belt has changed for any of the model years only the recommendation for the frequency of changing it. FWIW, my local dealer inspected mine on an early 2018 model at 32k miles and indicated there were no excessive signs of wear and there was no need to change it for some time.

#65 ·

Interesting thread her for 2.0 in Giulia: 2.0 Belt service

My dealership quoted at $274. Not hard work. Only one hour job. But I am buying at website drive belt my self and my friend will
Change it for $100.
Here is the website

#67 ·
Just did exactly what you show in the video. Actually very easy. I used the Gates HD belt. Thank you…
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive fuel system Automotive design Vehicle

Product Material property Font Wire Thread

#73 ·
From what I understand, the whole front end has to come off for the Quads, including the radiator so 700 sounds like a good deal to me. Does it need to be done? I think most of you answered it. (if it needs to be serviced) Tensioner replacement maybe a good idea to do it in quad when the belt is being done. since taking it apart and replacing that cheaper part may cost another $700 down the road.

for 2.0? no. because it's very easy to get to and can be done relatively easily when it breaks.

#74 ·
From what I understand, the whole front end has to come off for the Quads, including the radiator so 700 sounds like a good deal to me. Does it need to be done? I think most of you answered it. (if it needs to be serviced) Tensioner replacement maybe a good idea to do it in quad when the belt is being done. since taking it apart and replacing that cheaper part may cost another $700 down the road.

for 2.0? no. because it's very easy to get to and can be done relatively easily when it breaks.
I saw somewhere there's a mechanics "hack" for replacing the belt on a quad that doesn't include taking the whole front end off.