Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

30K Service Serpentine Belt 2.0 Engine

44K views 83 replies 42 participants last post by  pocholin 
#1 · (Edited)
Made my 30K appointment yesterday, no issues. The Service Manager noted that the serpentine belt should be replaced, a 3 hour job and which as quoted brings the bill to $700. I am tempted to pass- as noted before my Stelvio is more of a long-distance runner and has never been even near the red line. The engine is being phased into other FCA mainstream vehicles such as Cherokee and Wrangler and others planned for the future. Hard to believe these would call for a $700 service at only 30K. So I am reading into this that Alfas, being classed as 'sporting' vehicles are assumed to be subject to severe hard use- in my case (and many of us) this is simply not the application of the vehicle. I am seriously thinking of deferring this service and instead having the tech do a visual instead.

That said, the dealer is excellent and has high credibility and I would usually be inclined to follow the advice, same as medical advice. First time I've ever questioned advice given from them/him. My wife will be pissed at a $700 bill on an almost-new vehicle + she will be with me as we are honing in on a 500X to replace her A4.

Has any other 2.0 owner had the work done? What potential effect on the Warranty? Why in this application and not mainstream vehicles with the same engine? What risk (other than failure) is there?

Interesting thread her for 2.0 in Giulia: https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/...iscussion/30729-2-0-belt-service-2.html?amp=1

Thoughts? Thanks as always in advance!

See less See more
Reactions: TexStelvio
#75 ·
Dealers quoted $ 280-350 for belt replacement. I did it myself. Took it slow and turned out to be easy. I used to work on cars a lot in the 60's-80's. Some work in the 90's to 00's. Then pretty much dealer service. I'll be doing the plugs and belt at 60K miles per 2018 manual to keep extended warranty in force with no questions.