Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

30K Service Serpentine Belt 2.0 Engine

44K views 83 replies 42 participants last post by  pocholin 
#1 · (Edited)
Made my 30K appointment yesterday, no issues. The Service Manager noted that the serpentine belt should be replaced, a 3 hour job and which as quoted brings the bill to $700. I am tempted to pass- as noted before my Stelvio is more of a long-distance runner and has never been even near the red line. The engine is being phased into other FCA mainstream vehicles such as Cherokee and Wrangler and others planned for the future. Hard to believe these would call for a $700 service at only 30K. So I am reading into this that Alfas, being classed as 'sporting' vehicles are assumed to be subject to severe hard use- in my case (and many of us) this is simply not the application of the vehicle. I am seriously thinking of deferring this service and instead having the tech do a visual instead.

That said, the dealer is excellent and has high credibility and I would usually be inclined to follow the advice, same as medical advice. First time I've ever questioned advice given from them/him. My wife will be pissed at a $700 bill on an almost-new vehicle + she will be with me as we are honing in on a 500X to replace her A4.

Has any other 2.0 owner had the work done? What potential effect on the Warranty? Why in this application and not mainstream vehicles with the same engine? What risk (other than failure) is there?

Interesting thread her for 2.0 in Giulia: https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/...iscussion/30729-2-0-belt-service-2.html?amp=1

Thoughts? Thanks as always in advance!

See less See more
Reactions: TexStelvio
#2 ·
Is the $700 the total bill for all service or just the belt?
I personally would take the recommendation. How much longer would you wait otherwise?
I don't like trekking back and forth to the dealer so I'd look at it as killing two birds with one stone. And I've got a small jaunt to the dealer compared to you if we're talking frazier. Time is money in my book.

#3 ·
It is everything complete as quoted- I was thinking of deferring to 40K. They are hot on the climate filter as well- I am pretty ure it's OK as is too. 40 miles each way for me.

#4 · (Edited)
Here's the screenshot from the owner's manual. Recommended replacement at 36k but must be replaced every 4 years in non dusty locations. Dusty locations are even shorter 18k, 2 years. I don't know what qualifies Dusty vs Non-Dusty regions...

I agree that this seems a bit aggressive in terms of required maintenance but if I was trying to maintain warranty I would just replace at the 4 year mark.

Anybody know why the accessory drive belt is so fragile in this vehicle that it only lasts a small portion of what it does in other vehicles?

I have respect for maintenance schedules on higher end vehicles but I've never heard of this short of an interval with any other manufacturer ever.

Attachments

#5 ·
I think must of us are in a non-dusty location - we drive on pavement! Really, I am not trying to make a joke, just can't see the 'dusty' part for most of us (unless is @ALFAOFFROAD, haha). I think 36K as the manual states, or 40K as @Scalewoodman says would be OK. I cannot imagine any dealership challenging that. A reasonable dealership, that is.

Reactions: Scalewoodman
#6 ·
Apparently it’s a $2k engine out replacement belt on the QV. 8 hour job and it’s supposed to be every 30k.

I’d lean toward replacing it but it’s probably fine for 40k and isn’t going to destroy the engine like a timing belt would.

#7 ·
Best possible thing to do is look at it.

Is the belt cracked or showing wear? Does it seem loose or make any noise?

Any yes means replace it, otherwise don't.

Replacing early is never bad, but can be expensive...

Yeah, I definitely qualify as dusty conditions...looking at my belt, maybe 30k, 18k??!! I'll check it then but right now it looks and feels new.

#10 ·
Best possible thing to do is look at it.

Is the belt cracked or showing wear? Does it seem loose or make any noise?

Any yes means replace it, otherwise don't.

Replacing early is never bad, but can be expensive...

Yeah, I definitely qualify as dusty conditions...looking at my belt, maybe 30k, 18k??!! I'll check it then but right now it looks and feels new.

This is exactly what I would do. I doubt it takes a mechanic 3 hours to change a serpentine belt. I do believe in doing preventative maintenance but lets not get carried away replacing parts that really don't need to be replaced. I would doubt the belt costs the dealer anymore than $50 so I struggle with the $700 quote.

#11 ·
FWIW, Lancia and Fiat recommended replacing the Gilmer timing belt on the Lampredi SOHC and DOHC engines @ 17.5K miles. As the under 2 Litre engines were interference designs that was prudent advice. Timing belts on Renault 11 SOHC also had recommended early replacement times. By contrast, IIRC, the early (1974-78) VW Gilmer belted SOHC 4 cyl. could go 60K miles before replacement.

I had a Gilmer A/C accessory belt on my Lancia fail at under 30K miles.

#12 ·
Diy

#13 ·
DYI- good idea but I am not Mr. Fixit; or put another way I know my limitations. A great theorist and fan of tech but not qualified to crank the wrench.

Timing belt I wouldn't question-- serpentine belt for a main stream engine (pending throughout the FCA line) it seems to me to be overkill. I think I will call and have the tech inspect first (and not commit to the 3 hours) until 40K... If there is an issue and it's a bad call will be heading back soon enough if the Mrs. likes the 500X. And of course if it doesn't disavow the Warranty. 36K is closer to 40K anyway and I honestly baby my vehicles*

*Sorry all of you purists; knowing the capability is there is enough for me other than the occasional 'Italian Tune-up'. I love the handling and sense of the machinery.

$700 becomes about $135.

Seriously appreciate the perspective all of you! THANKS, Rob.

#17 ·
Maybe you can get a good Indy shop to change the belt for a lot less $ that the "stealership"......

After reading this post I opened my car's hood (a quadri) and.....I just was not even able to find the belt!!!....

it is the most complex engine that I have seen in my life....and everything is cramped.....a maze of ducts, sensors and cables.....super complex.

The Macan's engine is like a Yugo's engine compared to it.....so glad I got the extended warranty....

#14 ·
Old timers would use a solid bar of soap and gently hold it against the back of the serpentine belt while the engine was running, to give a drying and slightly cracked belt a little more life. My old man was one of 'em, and i know first hand, IT WORKED. If you do it, just make sure you keep the bar on the outside and don't let any shaving get under the belt between the belt and the pulleys. Remember, easy does it. Don't need need a lot of pressure. Just enough so that the soap bar doesn't slide out of your hands.

#16 ·
It is the warranty I would worry about. If you plan to keep it for the full warranty period, I would replace. That way you are covered, with out any future questions if the belt did go and caused damage.

We bought our Stelvio, so I plan to follow the maintenance schedule to the letter until the warranty has expired. After that we'll see.

#20 ·
Made my 30K appointment yesterday, no issues. The Service Manager noted that the serpentine belt should be replaced, a 3 hour job and which as quoted brings the bill to $700. I am tempted to pass- as noted before my Stelvio is more of a long-distance runner and has never been even near the red line. The engine is being phased into other FCA mainstream vehicles such as Cherokee and a Wrangler and others planned for the future. Hard to believe these would call for a $700 service at only 30K. So I am reading into this that Alfas, being classed as 'sporting' vehicles are assumed to be subject to severe hard use- in my case (and many of us) this is simply not the application of the vehicle. I am seriously thinking of deferring this service and instead having the tech do a visual instead.

That said, the dealer is excellent and has high credibility and I would usually be inclined to follow the advice, same as medical advice. First time I've ever questioned advice given from them/him. My wife will be pissed at a $700 bill on an almost-new vehicle + she will be with me as we are honing in on a 500X to replace her A4.

Has any other 2.0 owner had the work done? What potential effect on the Warranty? Why in this application and not mainstream vehicles with the same engine? What risk (other than failure) is there?

Interesting thread her for 2.0 in Giulia: https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/...iscussion/30729-2-0-belt-service-2.html?amp=1

Thoughts? Thanks as always in advance!

Reply:

The belt can be purchased from Mopar Parts (It is less than $20). Anyone with capability to replace a lite bulb in their home should have the skill set required to install a new serpentine belt. Should require about 10 minutes of your time on the 2.0. The Quad (2.9) will take longer as you must first remove a few items to gain access. Appears From your post the price you are being quoted is likely based on the assumption you are not aware of how simple this is. I havent checked internet... you may want to research... i’d bet money the folks at advance auto or O’rileys or any other bug box auto parts suppliers would coach you and even lend you the tool required to remove tension (required to remove and install the belt).

This is definitely a DYI project it the dealer charges more than $50.

#24 ·
This is definitely a DYI project it the dealer charges more than $50.
Indeed I changed it on my 911 Turbo so I think that it should be easier on the Stelvio, the 911 is really problem with the position of the flat six. I don't blame the dealer though. If the total cost is $700 inclusive of the remaining work this is probably 450 or so, pretty much right for 3 hours of work. Employees are expensive particularly the good one.

#21 · (Edited)
Be careful how easy you think it is.
While it is simple, it is not "easy".

To me easy means little risk of messing up and causing serious damage.

However if you are a klutz and clumsy with tools...there is a real possibility of doing damage to yourself or your car if the breaker bar slips while removing tension from the belt. I have seen damage to the car's hood as well as to the person holding the bar. The job is simple but it does require a certain level of strength and co-ordination. If you aren't comfortable with that dont feel bad for paying someone else to do it for you.

The tool for removing tension is called a breaker bar, not cause it breaks the car, but because if the tech loses control of it under tension...the bar will fly up with a ton of force and break the tech and anything else it hits.

Be careful.

#23 ·
Should be relatively compared to a soft tissue or full bony impaction. Flying instruments do a lot more harm to the body!

#25 ·
Here now: report is belt needs replaced- (heat from the turbo*), plugs, filter, oil, reflash/warranty. $600. I am still skeptical but following the advice given. Brake fluid and cabin filter 40K- again brake fluid due to severe use (and again not my application). Although I love the vehicle and realize you have to pay to play it does give me some concern about the cost of maintenance vs others I have owned (including high line brands).

* when the 2.0 turbo is used in mainstream brands this would seem to me to be unacceptable.

Reactions: steelgatorb8
#26 ·
This is a performance engine and the engineers have made the assumption that all buyers will drive hard, so they wrote the user manual with that in mind. These are also HOT engines and in the long run the excessive heat will affect other things as well. Generally speaking all plastic or rubberized material will be the first to show signs of decay.
Having said that, I have never changed the brake fluid on any of my cars regardless of mileage, only topped it off.

The Macan also recommends changing the plugs early, which i really don't understand!! Some modern high performance plugs specifically made for high performance engines are rated for 100K miles!!

#27 · (Edited)
Yeah, and often at 100k heat has fused them to the engine creating alot of problems for the tech and expense for the customer come tune up time.

Maybe see if there is an aftermarket belt made from a kevlar blend. It is pretty common, the part will cost more but it will last waaay longer.

I haven't looked for aftermarket serpentine belts yet, will try to do that soon.

#28 ·
Thinking about this- assuming the electric fan runs during stop/start but when a hot engine stops, cooling water stops circulating as well and heat builds. Obviously this was considered but at least some of the heat build-up would have to be aggravated in this cycle.

#32 ·
Theoretically the engine will not activate the start/stop function if it needs cooling...theoretically...who knows how well it is implemented.

It's also not supposed to do it when the A/C is on high, but I've had that happen soo..

I think it has to do with how hot the engine runs, due to it being a pretty high strung turbo. Although I still say a Kevlar reinforced belt will last longer.

#29 ·
I sure hope we start to see a DIY section soon. I have always done my own maintenance. Dealers and manufacturers cannot require you to use them exclusively in the US unless they provide the service and parts for free. Meaning you can do it yourself or pay a local shop if they have the tools or knowledge. Also they have to prove your lack of maintenance cause a part to fail. Not changing the oil and an engine failure is an example they would not cover. But if your radio goes, still covered. Im not replacing a serpentine belt at 36k never ever had one fail.

#31 ·
A 2 liter 4 cylinder is hot enough, add a high pressure twin scroll turbo and you will get a great hot soup especially here in the balmy southwest. I always thought a shark gill air vent right behind the front wheel wells would not only look great but be functional as well. I will be content with the gills on top of the Quad hood as well.

If the wife decides to keep the Stelvio after the lease is up, I might change the hood with the one on the Quad.

#33 ·
As a follow-up, AR Customer Care provided the auxiliary (serpentine) drive belt part number for 2018 Stelvio with 2.0 liter engine: Mopar 68326262AA

IMG_1277.jpg

https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/...-romeo-belt-serpentine-68326261aa?parent=1001

To change this you must:

1) remove large air deflector below the engine compartment

2) remove 3 nuts holding a plastic shield for one of the lower pulleys

3) relieve pressure on the belt via a ratchet or torque tool installed in the belt tensioner and remove existing belt from one of the adjacent pulleys (please be sure to note auxiliary belt routing —- you might want to take some pictures before removing existing belt)

4) install new belt (routed correctly) relieving tension on the belt tensioner in similar fashion applied when removing belt in prior step

5) re-install belt shield

6) re-install bottom wind deflector

7) congratulate yourself for spending no more than 30 minutes to save what appears from this forum to be $300-$500 in dealer labor charges

8) order a spare belt for next replacement
and store out of direct sunlight as UV rays will affect these in similar fashion to tires

#36 ·
As a follow-up, AR Customer Care provided the auxiliary (serpentine) drive belt part number for 2018 Stelvio with 2.0 liter engine: Mopar 68326262AA

IMG_1277.jpg

https://parts.moparonlineparts.com/...-romeo-belt-serpentine-68326261aa?parent=1001

To change this you must:

1) remove large air deflector below the engine compartment

2) remove 3 nuts holding a plastic shield for one of the lower pulleys

3) relieve pressure on the belt via a ratchet or torque tool installed in the belt tensioner and remove existing belt from one of the adjacent pulleys (please be sure to note auxiliary belt routing —- you might want to take some pictures before removing existing belt)

4) install new belt (routed correctly) relieving tension on the belt tensioner in similar fashion applied when removing belt in prior step

5) re-install belt shield

6) re-install bottom wind deflector

7) congratulate yourself for spending no more than 30 minutes to save what appears from this forum to be $300-$500 in dealer labor charges

8) order a spare belt for next replacement
and store out of direct sunlight as UV rays will affect these in similar fashion to tires

THese are precisely the posts we need in the HOW TO section this forum now needs!! Thank you sir!!!

Reactions: Neatcars
#34 ·
It seems the dealership charges extra for parts and labor for all repairs. If you are not handy try to find a reputable mechanic who can do it for less money. The brakes seem to be expensive also I guess the rotors are disposable (cannot be cut) the usually replace the pad sensors, and brake pads costs like 700-800 at the dealer. Seems outrageous to me.

#35 ·
Someone on this forum calls his Stelvio, as Stella ....... just like a pretty, and sexy woman who will put a smile on your face when you drive, but has ISSUES and will drain your wallet and your patience .... I'm glad mine is a lease and in essence I'm a sugar daddy to her ..... i will just pick up another babe as soon as all the maintenance gets to be a pain .... Leasing is the way to go on these babies. Besides who who knows if she will even be around in a couple of years.