30K Service Serpentine Belt 2.0 Engine - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Made my 30K appointment yesterday, no issues. The Service Manager noted that the serpentine belt should be replaced, a 3 hour job and which as quoted brings the bill to $700. I am tempted to pass- as noted before my Stelvio is more of a long-distance runner and has never been even near the red line. The engine is being phased into other FCA mainstream vehicles such as Cherokee and Wrangler and others planned for the future. Hard to believe these would call for a $700 service at only 30K. So I am reading into this that Alfas, being classed as 'sporting' vehicles are assumed to be subject to severe hard use- in my case (and many of us) this is simply not the application of the vehicle. I am seriously thinking of deferring this service and instead having the tech do a visual instead.

That said, the dealer is excellent and has high credibility and I would usually be inclined to follow the advice, same as medical advice. First time I've ever questioned advice given from them/him. My wife will be pissed at a $700 bill on an almost-new vehicle + she will be with me as we are honing in on a 500X to replace her A4.

Has any other 2.0 owner had the work done? What potential effect on the Warranty? Why in this application and not mainstream vehicles with the same engine? What risk (other than failure) is there?

Interesting thread her for 2.0 in Giulia: https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/2...e-2.html?amp=1

Thoughts? Thanks as always in advance!

2018 Stelvio - Vulcano, Chocolate interior - 20" wheels + Yellow calipers / safety pkgs - Build: July 2017 - Godetevi la corsa!

Last edited by Scalewoodman; 04-26-2019 at 08:23 AM.
post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:31 AM

Is the $700 the total bill for all service or just the belt?
I personally would take the recommendation. How much longer would you wait otherwise?
I don't like trekking back and forth to the dealer so I'd look at it as killing two birds with one stone. And I've got a small jaunt to the dealer compared to you if we're talking frazier. Time is money in my book.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

It is everything complete as quoted- I was thinking of deferring to 40K. They are hot on the climate filter as well- I am pretty ure it's OK as is too. 40 miles each way for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkytoad View Post
Is the $700 the total bill for all service or just the belt?
I personally would take the recommendation. How much longer would you wait otherwise?
I don't like trekking back and forth to the dealer so I'd look at it as killing two birds with one stone. And I've got a small jaunt to the dealer compared to you if we're talking frazier. Time is money in my book.

2018 Stelvio - Vulcano, Chocolate interior - 20" wheels + Yellow calipers / safety pkgs - Build: July 2017 - Godetevi la corsa!
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 04:24 PM

Here's the screenshot from the owner's manual. Recommended replacement at 36k but must be replaced every 4 years in non dusty locations. Dusty locations are even shorter 18k, 2 years. I don't know what qualifies Dusty vs Non-Dusty regions...

I agree that this seems a bit aggressive in terms of required maintenance but if I was trying to maintain warranty I would just replace at the 4 year mark.

Anybody know why the accessory drive belt is so fragile in this vehicle that it only lasts a small portion of what it does in other vehicles?

I have respect for maintenance schedules on higher end vehicles but I've never heard of this short of an interval with any other manufacturer ever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	maintenance.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	14729  
Scalewoodman likes this.

2019 Stelvio Ti Sport AWD - Vulcano Black / Chocolate

Last edited by steelgatorb8; 04-26-2019 at 04:29 PM.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:12 PM

I think must of us are in a non-dusty location - we drive on pavement! Really, I am not trying to make a joke, just can't see the 'dusty' part for most of us (unless is @ALFAOFFROAD , haha). I think 36K as the manual states, or 40K as @Scalewoodman says would be OK. I cannot imagine any dealership challenging that. A reasonable dealership, that is.
Scalewoodman likes this.

TI Lusso 22X-Trofeo tri-coat white/Cannelloni crema leather-Assist Pckgs-SR-8.8" 3D Nav-HK-20" wheels-ACP. Arte e prestazione Italiane
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 05:21 PM

Garage
Apparently it’s a $2k engine out replacement belt on the QV. 8 hour job and it’s supposed to be every 30k.

I’d lean toward replacing it but it’s probably fine for 40k and isn’t going to destroy the engine like a timing belt would.
Scalewoodman likes this.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport: Misano Blue with yellow calipers

Performance pack, leather dash, sunroof, CarPlay/AA, HK upgrade (-3 fade +7 bass -3 mid -4 treble)
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 06:59 PM

Best possible thing to do is look at it.

Is the belt cracked or showing wear? Does it seem loose or make any noise?

Any yes means replace it, otherwise don't.

Replacing early is never bad, but can be expensive...

Yeah, I definitely qualify as dusty conditions...looking at my belt, maybe 30k, 18k??!! I'll check it then but right now it looks and feels new.
Scalewoodman likes this.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:06 PM

I have a lease at 15k a year. I probably do a 3 year total of 40k miles. If you are leasing, I would pass. I never replaced a timing belt ever.
Scalewoodman likes this.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 PM

No doubt this an expensive car to maintain to maintain and that's when everything is working...... bottom line, leasing is the way to go.
Scalewoodman and harvest like this.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAOFFROAD View Post
Best possible thing to do is look at it.

Is the belt cracked or showing wear? Does it seem loose or make any noise?

Any yes means replace it, otherwise don't.

Replacing early is never bad, but can be expensive...

Yeah, I definitely qualify as dusty conditions...looking at my belt, maybe 30k, 18k??!! I'll check it then but right now it looks and feels new.

This is exactly what I would do. I doubt it takes a mechanic 3 hours to change a serpentine belt. I do believe in doing preventative maintenance but lets not get carried away replacing parts that really don't need to be replaced. I would doubt the belt costs the dealer anymore than $50 so I struggle with the $700 quote.
Scalewoodman likes this.

2019 Stelvio QV

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page