Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Speed LImiter

13K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  1265 
#1 ·
Sorry if there is already a thread...could not locate.

Does anyone one know if the 144MPH is electronically limited?

#6 · (Edited)
Have not heard from Marzio lately. My guesstimate would be it is power limited as 144mph has nothing to do with any tire speed ratings such as 130, 149, 186 etc 155 was always a german thing. Never got above 120 stock but it was running out of steam at that point and I suspect 144 would be all she wrotev now at 130 it was still pulling hard. I have my places to let'r go.

#8 ·
Highly doubt it is rev limited, given the way the car pulls and the amount of room (not to mention where the torque/HP peaks are) left on the tach once you get into triple digits. I've only tested in on the dry lake bed there is enough room there that some local "crazy" launched his own rocket to try to prove the earth was flat (can't make this up)...however I would have needed quite a bit more space to get above 130mph, as it was slowing down enough before running out of room was scary.....

Note: The dry lake bed I go to is on public land - bureau of land management - which legally has no speed limit and I can see any other cars or obstructions, 360 degrees for miles before they could affect me. Do not drive triple digits on a public road in CA, screw danger - The ticket will change your life for the worse...not worth it, not worth it at all. Speaking from experience here you do not want cops looking up your record and seeing a 100+ mph ticket, they don't become your friend, ever. You are public enemy #1 for life, literally every time I see a cop on the road I get a ticket now, last one was a couple months ago for 5mph over the limit...no ****. 5 effing mph over the limit so 60mph in a 55, yes, I was going downhill at the time. Should have given me some candy and said good job...nope...$200 ticket. I spend more on traffic lawyers some months then I do on gas and my insurance premiums are the stuff of nightmares since I literally have had 2-3 points on my record every year for well over a decade since I get pulled over and given a ticket for any minor infraction (in Ca, when I had an AZ lic...no problems) once the cops run my plate...don't do it. Seriously I got the ticket over 15 years ago...somehow cops still see it and treat me like an *******, every time. Before anyone thinks I deserve the tickets, could be dangerous...over a million miles under my belt since I got my license, and I have never been in even one accident. None, not my fault or someone else's. Not one, I drive very safe, just fast the 2 are not mutually exclusive. Regardless the best advice I can give anyone ever in terms of driving is stay below 20 mph over the speed limit like you life depends on it. You don't want that ticket. [

#11 ·
Where do you legally Speed?

Being a good citizen is sometimes difficult. We have cars that can easily pass the 100 mph mark, we build super highways, and have to drive 70-80 MPH. Something's wrong with that picture, for sure.

If you are in the US, or anywhere else for that matter, where do you drive faster than the 70/80 MPH speed limits, LEGALLY? (@AlfaOffRoad - The dry lake bed I go to is on public land... for example...)

#13 ·
Legal speed...

You bring up a good point - track speed is different from top speed, and being able to put a car through a curve at speed can mean going from 70 to 20 in a short distance, and is just as much the fun as upshifting onto a straight...

Who’s next?

#16 ·
You bring up a good point - track speed is different from top speed, and being able to put a car through a curve at speed can mean going from 70 to 20 in a short distance, and is just as much the fun as upshifting onto a straight...

Who’s next?
On that note, has anyone tracked one of these with the manufacturer's brake fluid or should I not take a chance with it and just put in the good stuff before I go out?

#14 ·
So, on Interstate 80 in Northern California the speed linit is 65, but you will be run off the road if you doing less than 75 - 80. California Highway Patrol seems to ignore under the "flow of traffic" argument, unless you are driving like a A....hole. I have been passed by Macans/Cayennes/Audis/Land Rovers doing 90 routinely. I have the Stomboli Gray TI Sport, so I blend in rather nicely (mistaken for a Mazda or the like)

#15 ·
Got that! Living 30 minutes from Richard Petty’s birthplace, we tend towards a general racing attitude in our cars, and to add, have some fine highways to drive: Not to say that our counties do not benefit financially from the investment and attitude.

#19 ·
Do a search, @Marzio has threads about tracking his Stelvio with some videos.

If I remember right he did have an issue with the car throwing lights due to brake overheating...not sure if it was the fluid or the pads.

With the way the AWD/traction control works (even in the QV the brakes are used in the front for torque vectoring side-to-side), and how the electric brakes compensate for brake fade...so there are sensors, warning lights, etc, because without them you could theoretically overheat the pads/rotors to the point of failure and not know it until you press the pedal and get nothing.

I *think* even changing the fluid will only have nominal effect....I *think* that is where those ceramic brakes on the QV come into play with the far superior heat handling capability.

Guessing based on knowledge of the systems involved, could be easily be wrong.

Hey, wish I knew where a person could actually drive fast and not worry about cops. Part of what I enjoy about the Stelvio is I don't have to be doing triple digits for it to be entertaining. Nothing about driving close to the speed limit makes me happy, actually it took almost 5 years of serious work for me to learn how to deal with driving slow (part of why I got rid of the Porsche and had been driving gutless economy cars - FIAT, Jetta - for the last few years till I could control myself). Seriously...and yes I use the cruise control...and repeat mantras and use meditation techniques to not floor the gas every time I get passed.

#20 ·
Ha Ha......agreed, I do succumb to the ego thing at times (no way that Audi is passing me) Kind of ridiculous. The triple digit deal is really superfluous, what is really great is pulling out of a freeway on ramp in "D", dropping a couple of paddles and fly right past everyone. Acceleration is not a crime :).

#21 · (Edited)
Neither is simply not slowing down for high speed sweepers.....or much of anything else....I mean at 35 you can basically just turn right with a good tap of the brakes to drop a few mph and transfer the weight before turn in...

..wish it were just Audi's... A stupid way of thinking for sure.

#22 ·
If one knows his roads, like the 1 mile uphill power run I have enjoyed for 25 yrs when road is empty, or the mile long straightaway where no one can hide. We can't afford choppers here. the key is not being an idiot in traffic. Sunday at 6AM is also key

#23 · (Edited)
Yes, the 2.0 has an electronically limited top speed.....
I know because tuner Squadra in The Netherlands removes it as part of the tune, setting the limit to 270 km/h (approx 170 mph) for the giulia 280, and 255 km/h (approx 160 mph) for the stelvio.
https://www.squadra-tuning.nl/chiptuning/alfa-romeo/giulia/veloce-2-0-t-280-pk/

from their site, giulia 2.0:
Snelheidsbegrenzing
Als eerste is de Giulia begrenst op topsnelheid. Op 240 km/uur. Terwijl de hele Duitse industrie op 250 km/uur begrenst. Onbegrijpelijk. Wij verhogen deze begrenzing naar 270 km/uur. Houdt wel rekening met de snelheidsindex van de banden.

translation:
Speed limit
As a first for Alfa, the giulia has a limited top speed of 240 km/h. This whilst all German cars are limited at 250 km/h. Baffling. We increase this limit to 270 km/h. Please take note of the speed index of the tires.

For Stelvio 2.0:
Snelheidsbegrenzing
Als eerste Alfa is de Stelvio begrenst op topsnelheid. Op 230 km/uur. Wij verhogen deze begrenzing naar 255 km/uur. Houdt wel rekening met de snelheidsindex van de banden.

translation:
Speed limit
As a first for Alfa, the stelvio has a limited top speed of 230 km/h. We increase this limit to 255 km/h. Please take note of the speed index of the tires.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.