What's the story on the optional limited slip differential? - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

What's the story on the optional limited slip differential?

My wife and I are considering replacing her ancient Saabaru with a new Stelvio base model. Given that the ability to go uphill (STEEPLY UPHILL) in snow is the primary reason for getting an AWD vehicle, the hints about some sort of optional LSD are very interesting. However, I can't find anything about said LSD on Alfa's site (which is frankly unhelpful) or any other promotional materials.

1) Is there actually a LSD that can be optioned onto the base model Stelvio?
2) What option pack is it part of or otherwise how would a dealer refer to it?
3) What are the technical details of the LSD?

Thanks guys.
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:35 PM

Find it under the "TI Sport Performance Package". This package includes the LSD and active suspension. As for the LSD there may be others that can comment on its ability to climb steep hills in snow. My 2017 Giulia Sport Q4 with AWD does not have the LSD. I can easily drive up steep hills in snow.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

OK, with that help, I managed to find it in the brochure. Bad news is that the Base can't get the Performance Pack. We hadn't planned on stepping up to a Ti due to the fact that there's nothing we want from it other than the heated stuff and ordering the Winter Package on the base is $1200 cheaper.

Is there a good reference anywhere for what the adaptive suspension in the Performance Pack actually does?
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:50 PM

See if this link to the topic in the Giulia forum helps. https://www.giuliaforums.com/forum/2...e-package.html
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:52 PM

Notice you are in Ohio. Steep hills I am referring to that my Giulia easily handles are in the West Virginia panhandle, so pretty challenging.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StelvioDLR View Post
Notice you are in Ohio. Steep hills I am referring to that my Giulia easily handles are in the West Virginia panhandle, so pretty challenging.
Yeah the "steep hill" is actually our driveway. This place was built before any sort of code or zoning enforcement in the area. Now, a builder wouldn't be allowed to build on this lot due to the steep hill against the road. Our driveway starts flat near the house but gets drastically steeper as it gets to the road. The last car-length of our driveway where it joins the road is a touch over 30 degrees (yes, degrees, not percent). Unfortunately, due to the shape of the land and the trees just off the side of our lot, you must stop right at the top of the driveway in order to see if there's cross traffic from the left. Effectively, every day we have to do a standing start out into 50mph traffic off of a 30 degree incline. In the winter, my wife's Saabaru will do it even if there's snow and slush on the driveway but my Connect (FWD only, sadly) actually won't pull itself to the top of the driveway, let alone get onto the road from a standing start, even on snow tires if there's anything but bare pavement. I have to go take the tractor out to plow the blacktop and then give the sun time to melt what's left before I can get my Connect out of the driveway. Once I'm on the road, yeah it's pretty damned flat around here so there's rarely a problem.

The entire point of keeping her in an AWD car is so that she can get out of our driveway reliably to go to work.
Gsartori likes this.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:06 PM

That is a whole different kind of steep. I can better appreciate your situation. There are a few videos on YouTube that go into more detail about the AWD capability.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 09:38 PM

with the AWD, having the limited slip is less of a "need" than if you were looking at a RWD model.
I don't have a base model, but they put power where there is traction, which is what you want.
the limited slip is appreciated by those cornering harder/faster.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost1750GTV View Post
with the AWD, having the limited slip is less of a "need" than if you were looking at a RWD model.
I don't have a base model, but they put power where there is traction, which is what you want.
the limited slip is appreciated by those cornering harder/faster.
Well, we built race cars for a decade, so corners ....
More than that, with the Q4 system being default RWD with the center diff only locking up to 40%, I'd rather have 2 rear wheels pushing than just 1.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

OK, now hang on a second.

There's a Ti Performance Package for the Ti (obviously) and a different listing for a Ti Sport Performance Package (for the Ti Sport, obviously). In one PDF I'm reading, it sounds like they both are supposed to have the LSD and the Active Damping. However, in the Alfa Romeo Brand Book PDF, the chart for features and options lists the LSD only under the Ti Sport Performance Package. Is that a copy/paste oversight or do you really have to start from the Ti Sport, not merely the Ti, in order to get the LSD?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page