Hello... and looking for new Stelvio Q4 info - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Unread Today, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Hello... and looking for new Stelvio Q4 info

Hello,

Long time car guru, builder, hotrodder, restorer, and owner of 60+ cars over the past 25 years.
And.... currently living & working in Belgium (I'm American)
which makes buying a Q4 even more difficult.

Selling my BMW 340i M-Performance model to another American living here, and getting ready to purchase a Q4. But, I have to purchase a US-Spec model, which means I have to have it shipped here from the US.... even though Italy is a 1 day drive, and there's an AR dealership 30 minutes away.... getting it shipped takes 4-6 weeks. I have to buy a US spec car, because if/when I decide to come back to the US, I can take it back with me. So, I just bought a local European Spec "beater" for 1000 Euro to get my by until it arrives. I won't even tell you what I bought... because it's embarrasing

What a PITA. Seriously...

Anyway... I know this is a "biased" forum, and it's very rare that current owners will say anything "negative" about their cars... I understand that.

I don't want you to convince me not to buy one. I've already made up my mind that I'm getting one.

I would however, like you to share any unusual "quirks" or "stories" that can help me prepare for ownership. Yes, it will have a warrantee, but much like most new cars, it likely won't need it until well after it's expired. But.. even if it did, getting a US spec vehicle serviced in Europe can be "problematic" to say the least.

What should I know? What should I expect? Anything you can tell me after owning one for several months that none of the 1000 YouTube videos I've watched will tell me?

Thanks in advance!
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Loomis View Post
Hello,
...... Yes, it will have a warrantee, but much like most new cars, it likely won't need it until well after it's expired. But.. even if it did, getting a US spec vehicle serviced in Europe can be "problematic" to say the least.
Actually, I would thing the differences between US spec and European spec are minimal......

My car : https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/g...vehicle_id=559

previous Alfa's : Alfa alfetta GTV, Alfasud QV, Spider 2.0 Veloce, 164 2.0, 147 GTA, Alfa giulia AWD 280 Hp
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

jwq2 - No, you are correct, the differences between US spec and European spec cars are minimal.... if not completely non-existent.

However, the systems they use to monitor, check, and log them... are completely different.

When I first got here, I had to pick up a European license bracket for the front of my 340i - A very simple plastic bracket that bolts to the bumper. But, they tried to scan the car in... which didn't work, because the VIN is US, so then they had to start doing internet searches on whether or not the front bumper on a US car is the same dimensions as the front bumper on a Euro car... lol

it is.... what a dumb waste of time. But, that's how things go. Oh yea... and then there is the language barrier, which complicates things even further.

Oh yea... then several of the sales people were out looking at my car (It's pretty heavily modified)... and one of them, in very broken English say "Your car is Terrible!!"

I was like "WTF man??".... I guess he thought that loosely translated to "good"?? I dunno.. it was funny... had to be there

Last edited by Matthew Loomis; Today at 09:19 AM.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:43 AM

with it sitting on docks and ships twice as long as "normal" - I will guarantee the battery will need replacing, and if you don't you will experience a variety of frustrating non- issue problems which no one should have to put up with, and depending on the circumstances can be a big issue even though the vehicle itself is fine..

and yes - the vehicle could be identical to a euro version, but if it doesn't have the "meets U.S. standards" stickers, it's an issue.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Unread Today, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost1750GTV View Post
with it sitting on docks and ships twice as long as "normal" - I will guarantee the battery will need replacing, and if you don't you will experience a variety of frustrating non- issue problems which no one should have to put up with, and depending on the circumstances can be a big issue even though the vehicle itself is fine..

and yes - the vehicle could be identical to a euro version, but if it doesn't have the "meets U.S. standards" stickers, it's an issue.
I wonder about the possibility of ordering a custom build from a US dealership, so it is a "US Spec" model, but having it stay in Europe rather than shipping it? I'm pretty sure once the cars come off the boat in the US, they are shipped to the dealer and can be turned over to the customer the same day. Meaning, there is no additional testing/verification/whatever stateside, so other than the bureaucracy of "we can't do that" I can't think of a regulatory reason this couldn't be done.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Unread Today, 11:56 AM

"bureaucracy of "we can't do that" "
you would think AR would offer European delivery plans for vacationing etc US customers , but they don't.