Issue after five hours of ownership! - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 14Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 06:05 AM Thread Starter

Issue after five hours of ownership!

Hello all! New member to the forum and to Alfa ownership after over 25 years in the BMW camp. I took delivery of my Stelvio Quadrifoglio yesterday, and after five hours of ownership, the vehicle displays a “SERVICE ELECTRONIC THROTTLE CONTROL” message in addition to a “SERVICE ENGINE “ warning. Car immediately went down on power. Of course, this happened on a Friday night and I can’t return the vehicle until Monday. I have been very diligent in following the break in instructions. This happened in city traffic. How concerned should I be that something major is going on? I was extremely anxious about purchasing the car for fears of reliability issues with the marque. Hoping this is just a minor hiccup because I really want to love this vehicle!! Thank you in advance for any insight.
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 07:47 AM

I have over 12k miles on mine and haven't had one single issue...
Gator1 likes this.

2018 Stelvio Quadrifoglio Vesuvio Grey
GLAM SHOT
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 07:54 AM

@Kctime . I am not an expert but I can easily (as you can) search the forum for the key words of the problem you are experiencing. There is a ton of information. My impression is that it is solvable (of course) and it could be related to a weak battery. If so, the problem will disappear and later come back. A competent dealer is important to get the correct diagnostic and solve the issue. Also contact Alfa Romeo Cares so they can be on your side when dealing with the dealer. Hopefully they will respond to your post. @AlfaRomeoCares
Partsguy20 likes this.

TI Lusso 22X-Trofeo tri-coat white/Cannelloni crema-Assist Pckgs-SR-8.8" 3D Nav-HK-20" wheels-ACP. Arte e prestazione Italiane
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 08:37 AM

perhaps some left foot braking in city traffic?
AR software doesn't like two pedals being pushed at the same time, except from a standing start.
Banffstelvio likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 09:00 AM

Garage
Been there, done that...

Definitely give it a chance. My Ti Sport acted up, with similar techno-break in/software hiccups, over the first few days of ownership. It was like all the programs were trying to get up and running and occasionally got blocked by other programs or something like that, or at least it seemed that way, and then it was smooth sailing and has been for 30K.

Relax. Each time I had something like that happen (maybe 3 or 4 times that first week), I'd find a place to stop, an then turn it off, give it a moment or two (20 seconds or more), and then restart - a two part process for me 1) press the start button, 2) turn off the auto start stop. In all cases, the problem would go away, either when restarting, or while driving.

(Also look up limp home - it is my understanding that the vehicle will not go over some speed, like 35 or so when you get into that mode - has not happened to me, but I think that is when the service departments get a bit more excited.)

Don’t Panic! The truth is out there.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
2004 Saab 9.3 T Convertible
2001 Moto Guzzi California Special
2005 Bajaj Chetak
19xx Vespa
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 09:00 AM Thread Starter

I never left foot brake. I’ll put a battery charger on it today. Was hoping that it would disappear after sitting overnight but no luck. Thanks for the suggestions!

‘18 AR Stelvio Quad, Vesuvio Grey
‘19 BMW X5
‘16 BMW M2

Last edited by Kctime; 04-13-2019 at 09:04 AM.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

It will travel at highway speeds, just poor acceleration. Also not able to bring up or change driving modes.

‘19 BMW X5
‘16 BMW M2
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 09:09 AM

Garage
And when that happens, can you change the drive mode? When that happened to me, it would not let me change into D or N or A - it was just in some never never land drive mode - but then, it all came back - that deal happened to me for an extended drive once, when my battery was dying - they replaced the battery and it was all fixed.

Don’t Panic! The truth is out there.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
2004 Saab 9.3 T Convertible
2001 Moto Guzzi California Special
2005 Bajaj Chetak
19xx Vespa
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Just drove it and drive modes have disappeared. I’ll let it sit for an hour. I really appreciate the support!

‘19 BMW X5
‘16 BMW M2
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 01:48 PM

No quad but when this happened to me was the bad battery problem. New battery from dealer and the problem has never returned. Charging the old battery didn't help as it was not holding enough charge or something.
Kctime likes this.