dead infotainment controls on '18 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

dead infotainment controls on '18

The menu button, rotary dial and the console mounted volume/mute button all stopped working at the same time. The steering wheel mounted controls for the infotainment system/phone still work. Very frustrating!

Our local dealer was just sold and the new dealer is just getting up and running without a fully functioning service department.

Anyone else have this problem?
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:52 AM

Did you spill something on them? Maybe one is stuck? I would think one of them is jammed down

I hate the buttons on the console area as my dogs walk all over them when I leave them in the car. (always left responsible, very short times, always running)

One thing I loved about the Stelvio is it had minimal buttons the dogs could step on, The Porsche deal was done as soon as I looked at that mess of buttons

Last edited by Banffstelvio; 07-15-2019 at 03:56 AM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:38 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banffstelvio View Post
Did you spill something on them? Maybe one is stuck? I would think one of them is jammed down

I hate the buttons on the console area as my dogs walk all over them when I leave them in the car. (always left responsible, very short times, always running)

One thing I loved about the Stelvio is it had minimal buttons the dogs could step on, The Porsche deal was done as soon as I looked at that mess of buttons
While I was traveling all the way from Fl to NS with my dog in the Macan the trip was a nightmare.....the dog's head and paws were all the way changing the car AS settings and driving parameters....

In the Stelvio once the center display went black and I freaked out.....the dog managed to press down the little volume button and turned it off the radio and display.
Banffstelvio likes this.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:01 AM

FYI I thought I had this problem - turns out it was a product of my changing the default parameters for the infotainment screen from "on during power up" to something else (or something like this. don't remember exactly what it was).

Does the screen turn on when you press the small power button to the lower right of the shifter? If so, this may be your issue.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, we have a dog that while panting will drool onto the center console, but we try to wipe it up pretty quick. If that's enough liquid to kill all the controls, that's not great. So the menu button is completely dead, nothing comes up at all when it's pressed (the main screen is stuck on the bluetooth page). The rotary wheel will sometimes move the menu choices to the left (spinning the wheel...spinning to the right doesn't work), but nothing to the left, right, up or down when pushing the wheel in those directions. Settings button doesn't work. The volume/mute/power/station changer was working for awhile, but as of yesterday also quit working.

The main display does come on when the car is turned on, but is stuck on the bluetooth page. You can change the channels and control the volume from the steering wheel controls as well as use the voice control.

Going to swing by the new dealer today and see if they have their service department up and running enough to take a look at it.
Banffstelvio likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 03:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banffstelvio View Post
My dog and I have an understanding that she's not allowed past the edge of the center arm rest for this exact reason. Haha. Even when I'm not in the car she knows better.
Banffstelvio and jwq2 like this.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
My dog and I have an understanding that she's not allowed past the edge of the center arm rest for this exact reason. Haha. Even when I'm not in the car she knows better.
She doesn't cross the center arm rest or stand on the center console but if she is panting heavily, she will drip on the console, which I can't believe would be enough to kill all the infotainment controls.
We are having other electrical gremlins as well. Shut the car off, run into a store, come back out and the radio is still on. The car will be parked in the garage and the bluetooth will pick up calls made from inside the house.
The car is going into the dealer tomorrow. They will probably tell us everything is working wonderfully and it's supposed to be this way.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheats View Post
We are having other electrical gremlins as well. Shut the car off, run into a store, come back out and the radio is still on. The car will be parked in the garage and the bluetooth will pick up calls made from inside the house.
I have had both of these problems on my last 3 cars. Did you lock the car after turning off the radio? That usually did it for me. The bluetooth was very annoying. In one of the three cas before a software update, the bluetooth I guess was always oin and when it would pick up a signal the whoe infotainment would come back alive. Very annoying because the design of m house at the time had the garage in the center of the house.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 PM

Can someone explain to me again...why all these electronics are something people want in their cars.....??

They are cool and all, but cars get wet, humid, filled with static electricity, eaten in, dranken in, sunroofs and windows left open in the rain, or while driving down a dusty road, baking hot and freezing cold..sometimes all of them in the same day...within hours even.

Then there are the constant vibrations and bumps, at 100 miles an hour possibly, definitely at 60mph.

That is every single environmental condition that PC manufacturers warn us not to subject our home computers to.

For some reason people think those exact same components in a car won't create problems. Why?

Smart people doing things and knowing stuff???

Sorry but the smart people are the ones saying it is a bad idea and should be implemented slowly.

The egotistical people who think they know everything and can out think everyone..they are the people saying this is a good idea...these people may have ridiculously high IQs and come from insanely successful backgrounds with rich glamourous families...that doesn't make them smart though. It might make them presumptuous and cocky...prone to making massive errors in judgment due to ego...

Hope your problem is minor... I have 3 dogs and am like Sweetness..they know not to cross the front seat...not even their head.

IMO dog drool might be worse than water for electronics. Sticky....filled with dirt and bacteria...doesn't evaporate away clean, and takes forever.....

If a dog drooled on your computer keyboard...would you expect it to keep working right? Those center controls are the same thing in a different format.

Yes, they should be all-weather and sealed...they aren't though.

Time was Auto manufacturers always made sure components were engineered to higher standard for cars. Automotive grade components were the highest standard for electronics.

Then Tesla stuck a cheap consumer-grade computer tablet in a car, a tablet that met (and meets) none of the traditional automotive engineering standards.

And they got called geniuses.

Revolutionary, disruptive, geniuses.

Now nobody even thinks about those standards. Extreme temps, humidity, water exposure, dust exposure, dog drool....none of it matters now.

That stuff is too pedestrian and might hold back innovation.

Sorry.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ

Last edited by ALFAOFFROAD; 07-15-2019 at 07:28 PM.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAOFFROAD View Post
Can someone explain to me again...why all these electronics are something people want in their cars.....??

They are cool and all, but cars get wet, humid, filled with static electricity, eaten in, dranken in, sunroofs and windows left open in the rain, or while driving down a dusty road, baking hot and freezing cold..sometimes all of them in the same day...within hours even.

Then there are the constant vibrations and bumps, at 100 miles an hour possibly, definitely at 60mph.

That is every single environmental condition that PC manufacturers warn us not to subject our home computers to.

For some reason people think those exact same components in a car won't create problems. Why?

Smart people doing things and knowing stuff???

Sorry but the smart people are the ones saying it is a bad idea and should be implemented slowly.

The egotistical people who think they know everything and can out think everyone..they are the people saying this is a good idea...these people may have ridiculously high IQs and come from insanely successful backgrounds with rich glamourous families...that doesn't make them smart though. It might make them presumptuous and cocky...prone to making massive errors in judgment due to ego...

Hope your problem is minor... I have 3 dogs and am like Sweetness..they know not to cross the front seat...not even their head.

IMO dog drool might be worse than water for electronics. Sticky....filled with dirt and bacteria...doesn't evaporate away clean, and takes forever.....

If a dog drooled on your computer keyboard...would you expect it to keep working right? Those center controls are the same thing in a different format.

Yes, they should be all-weather and sealed...they aren't though.

Time was Auto manufacturers always made sure components were engineered to higher standard for cars. Automotive grade components were the highest standard for electronics.

Then Tesla stuck a cheap consumer-grade computer tablet in a car, a tablet that met (and meets) none of the traditional automotive engineering standards.

And they got called geniuses.

Revolutionary, disruptive, geniuses.

Now nobody even thinks about those standards. Extreme temps, humidity, water exposure, dust exposure, dog drool....none of it matters now.

That stuff is too pedestrian and might hold back innovation.

Sorry.
The consumers today love instant gratification and electronics. I think I am going to come up with an iPhone with 4 wheels. People will buy it😆

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page