Fuel Gauge and MPG - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 15Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Fuel Gauge and MPG

I've so far only burned through 2.5 tanks of gas on my new Stelvio, but both times it's gotten down to 1/4 tank on the gauge the low fuel light comes on, and a fill up takes about 15 gal.

Anyone else seeing similar issues? Want to get an idea if it's a broken sensor or what may be going on before I call the dealer.

Forgot to add, I've struggled to get above high teens in my MPG with normal driving. Now I know I can have a heavy foot sometimes, but I'm driving it the same or even easier (due to the still low miles) than I drove my Evoque, which I never had a problem getting at least 24mpg.
Flunx and MBW like this.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport, Rosso Alfa Red, Black sport seats & interior, sun roof, HK audio system
post #2 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

picture didn't attach in original post, guess I had to resize it first
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauge.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	825  

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport, Rosso Alfa Red, Black sport seats & interior, sun roof, HK audio system
post #3 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Same for me, yellow light same position same petrol quantity.
Max economy for my 280hp 11km/liter
Flunx likes this.

Italian Stelvio 280hp owner from Padua
post #4 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 12:18 AM

2,000 miles on clock of my fantastic car averaging 23.5 mpg in UK Our Gallons are larger than US
post #5 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevStelvio View Post
2,000 miles on clock of my fantastic car averaging 23.5 mpg in UK Our Gallons are larger than US
Interesting, I've never heard of a UK gallon that is larger than the gallon unit of measure that came to the US from the UK. Perhaps you are thinking liter used by everyone outside the US and UK?

Anyhow, I have about 1600 mi on my Stelvio and, assuming the computer is correctly calculating, I am averaging somewhere between 22 and 23 mpg. I do most of my driving in N with occasional stints in D. I used A for a couple days thinking maybe I would save a few gallons eventually but then I remembered why I bought the car. In an interesting side note, I had to take my young daughter somewhere last night and she disappeared when it was time to go putting us behind the clock to get there. I was a little mad when we left the house but MAN, that ended up being a fun ride. Still wound up arriving 1 minute late but let's just say I made up some serious time!
post #6 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzohn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevStelvio View Post
Interesting, I've never heard of a UK gallon that is larger than the gallon unit of measure that came to the US from the UK. Perhaps you are thinking liter used by everyone outside the US and UK?
The UK (or imperial) gallon is 4.55 litres, about 20% larger than the US gallon which is about 3.79 litres.
post #7 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:

Anyhow, I have about 1600 mi on my Stelvio and, assuming the computer is correctly calculating, I am averaging somewhere between 22 and 23 mpg. I do most of my driving in N with occasional stints in D. I used A for a couple days thinking maybe I would save a few gallons eventually but then I remembered why I bought the car. In an interesting side note, I had to take my young daughter somewhere last night and she disappeared when it was time to go putting us behind the clock to get there. I was a little mad when we left the house but MAN, that ended up being a fun ride. Still wound up arriving 1 minute late but let's just say I made up some serious time!
that's 22-23 US MPG?

I only just rolled over 600mi, but I'm struggling to average 15 MPG driving essentially the same way as with the Evoque, where I was getting 24-26 MPG. I expected 3-5 MPG lower with the Stelvio, but not down in the 13-15 mpg range!

post #8 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDrive View Post
that's 22-23 US MPG?

I only just rolled over 600mi, but I'm struggling to average 15 MPG driving essentially the same way as with the Evoque, where I was getting 24-26 MPG. I expected 3-5 MPG lower with the Stelvio, but not down in the 13-15 mpg range!
Yes, US gallons. Something doesn't seem right. Are you using high octane fuel with 10% or less ethanol?
post #9 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Yes, US gallons. Something doesn't seem right. Are you using high octane fuel with 10% or less ethanol?
Yes, though I can't say for sure it's 10% or less, as non ethanol fuel is actually illegal in Connecticut. Most of the pumps claim to be 10%

post #10 of 84 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 03:51 PM

Have you been using premium fuel? Is the ethanol included in premium gas or just the regular unleaded? I have a little over 800 miles on my vehicle and so far have been averaging about 21.5 miles per gallon