Multiple Issues - Dropping off for service tomorrow (4th time) - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Multiple Issues - Dropping off for service tomorrow (4th time)

I've finally found some time tomorrow morning to drop off my vehicle at the local service center for the 4th time. Hoping to finally get the following issues fixed:

1. Steering column/system creaks very loudly like an old wooden door every time I begin straightening out from a turn that required near full lockout of the steering wheel such as in a parking lot. - Service center said no fault found previously
2. HVAC system has no clue what the temp is in my car making the auto temp setting useless most days (mainly thinks it's much cooler in my car therefore blowing hot air even when it's already warm in the vehicle). - Service center said no fault found previously
3. When attempting to roll up my windows they will randomly do the opposite and roll all the way down after only going up about an inch or so. Once they start doing this the only way I can get them all the way up is to quickly tap the up button so they move about a half inch at a time. Eventually I'll get them up but it takes a couple minutes to do so. - Service center said no fault found previously
4. Drivers window rattles loudly while going over any bumps in the road (this is when the window is fully closed).
5. Speakers have a popping sounds in them while music is played via USB. - Service center said no fault found previously though I do have hope for this one as I've seen the latest service bulletin about a software update that should address this issue
6. Sometimes the rear hatch/door opens just fine and other times it takes almost two minutes to fully open, almost like it's not getting enough power at times.
7. Passenger side exterior mirror makes some very loud grinding noises when while it's unfolding. Much louder than the driver mirror so I know something is wrong with it.
8. 1yr/10k service that should be free per Alfa. I'm hoping they don't give me a hard time about this since I bought from a different dealer.

Please wish me luck as I've had very bad prior experience with this service center but it's literally within a 10 minute walk from where I live so I'm giving them another shot. I'm hoping since it's a Saturday morning I can take additional time to go over the issues with them since a few of them have been looked at previously but not fixed. Also hoping they don't start getting annoyed because they list is fairly long. Now I know none of these affect the drive of the vehicle but they are all annoyances and irritate me on a daily basis and can be embarrassing when they happen while I have passengers in the car.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:09 PM

Good luck.

Try to be calm and pleasant, I know it can be hard if they are being morons. It can help to play egos too, if (hopefully) this will be a different service writer/tech. Act like the last guy messed up but you are much better...

Maybe try to get the tech to ride along so you can demonstrate the issues directly, particularly the steering column sound.

Put money on the window issues being related. Wont roll up because something is loose inside causing resistance...something that rattles when the window is up. Might effect all 4 windows because of some poorly thought through safety programing to protect the motors or something.

Might be good to write it all down too. Less room for misunderstanding, and full descriptions. Ie: the hatch...it takes up to 2 minutes to open from the button on the hatch? The remote? Drivers door? All 3?

Honestly the way you describe the sound quality of the car...I would call Alfa care and see if you can get speaker replacments authorized also. The sound isn't great but your desription sounds worse than it should be and defective speakers/amps exist...
sweetness34 and marwan like this.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 09:22 PM

Sweetness34, sorry to hear you're having issues. Have you mentioned any of this before on the forum so ALFATECH could chime in on what he might think the causes of these issues are? If not, hopefully he will now so you will be prepared before you go to the dealer. Good luck.
sweetness34 likes this.
post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
I've finally found some time tomorrow morning to drop off my vehicle at the local service center for the 4th time. Hoping to finally get the following issues fixed:

1. Steering column/system creaks very loudly like an old wooden door every time I begin straightening out from a turn that required near full lockout of the steering wheel such as in a parking lot. - Service center said no fault found previously
2. HVAC system has no clue what the temp is in my car making the auto temp setting useless most days (mainly thinks it's much cooler in my car therefore blowing hot air even when it's already warm in the vehicle). - Service center said no fault found previously
3. When attempting to roll up my windows they will randomly do the opposite and roll all the way down after only going up about an inch or so. Once they start doing this the only way I can get them all the way up is to quickly tap the up button so they move about a half inch at a time. Eventually I'll get them up but it takes a couple minutes to do so. - Service center said no fault found previously
4. Drivers window rattles loudly while going over any bumps in the road (this is when the window is fully closed).
5. Speakers have a popping sounds in them while music is played via USB. - Service center said no fault found previously though I do have hope for this one as I've seen the latest service bulletin about a software update that should address this issue
6. Sometimes the rear hatch/door opens just fine and other times it takes almost two minutes to fully open, almost like it's not getting enough power at times.
7. Passenger side exterior mirror makes some very loud grinding noises when while it's unfolding. Much louder than the driver mirror so I know something is wrong with it.
8. 1yr/10k service that should be free per Alfa. I'm hoping they don't give me a hard time about this since I bought from a different dealer.

Please wish me luck as I've had very bad prior experience with this service center but it's literally within a 10 minute walk from where I live so I'm giving them another shot. I'm hoping since it's a Saturday morning I can take additional time to go over the issues with them since a few of them have been looked at previously but not fixed. Also hoping they don't start getting annoyed because they list is fairly long. Now I know none of these affect the drive of the vehicle but they are all annoyances and irritate me on a daily basis and can be embarrassing when they happen while I have passengers in the car.

I feel for you, especially since its the 4th TIME! But honestly, as convenient as this dealer is, distance wise, you should not go to the same well if it left a bad taste in your mouth before. Try another dealer's service center if its possible, at least to see if there is a difference and let Alfacare know about it.
These quirks, as some call it, ARE embarrassing in front of passengers, especially with a NEW car.
Please let us know, what happens on this visit to the same service center and if they give you another "no fault found previously" again.
GOOD LUCK.
sweetness34 likes this.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAOFFROAD View Post
Good luck.

Try to be calm and pleasant, I know it can be hard if they are being morons. It can help to play egos too, if (hopefully) this will be a different service writer/tech. Act like the last guy messed up but you are much better...

Maybe try to get the tech to ride along so you can demonstrate the issues directly, particularly the steering column sound.

Put money on the window issues being related. Wont roll up because something is loose inside causing resistance...something that rattles when the window is up. Might effect all 4 windows because of some poorly thought through safety programing to protect the motors or something.

Might be good to write it all down too. Less room for misunderstanding, and full descriptions. Ie: the hatch...it takes up to 2 minutes to open from the button on the hatch? The remote? Drivers door? All 3?

Honestly the way you describe the sound quality of the car...I would call Alfa care and see if you can get speaker replacments authorized also. The sound isn't great but your desription sounds worse than it should be and defective speakers/amps exist...
Thanks for the input. I'm generally a pretty easy going person so being calm with them shouldn't be an issue. The ride along request is a great idea, I hadn't thought of that and I can easily replicate the steering column issue since it happens every time.

The hatch I always open from the remote, sometimes it just seems like there isn't enough power to lift it up so it takes a really long time to the point where I've lightly helped it up with my hand. I've got this and all the other issues noted on my phone so I can clearly relay this to them.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
Sweetness34, sorry to hear you're having issues. Have you mentioned any of this before on the forum so ALFATECH could chime in on what he might think the causes of these issues are? If not, hopefully he will now so you will be prepared before you go to the dealer. Good luck.
I don't believe I've created a new thread for these issues, I've only mentioned some of them within other threads which is why I created this one. I just want people to be aware of what issues I've had and how they hopefully get resolved in case anyone else has any of the same issues.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I feel for you, especially since its the 4th TIME! But honestly, as convenient as this dealer is, distance wise, you should not go to the same well if it left a bad taste in your mouth before. Try another dealer's service center if its possible, at least to see if there is a difference and let Alfacare know about it.
These quirks, as some call it, ARE embarrassing in front of passengers, especially with a NEW car.
Please let us know, what happens on this visit to the same service center and if they give you another "no fault found previously" again.
GOOD LUCK.
I did take it to my original dealer the last time which was right before I went on a 3500 mile road trip over the Holidays. They weren't any better and have since closed down. I've heard the my local one went through an ownership change recently which is why I'm willing to give them another chance. The last time I took it to this dealer they had my car for 6 days and wouldn't call me back to communicate what was going on. I actually had to call Alfa Cares to get them to contact the dealer to find out where my car was. So we'll see what happens this time.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Well I just dropped it off and decided to only focus on the most important issues to me: Steering wheel creek, HVAC system, Software update for speakers crackling sounds, and of course the 10k service. These are things that affect me everyday and our conversation was already growing long. The good news is they have definitely improved their customer service. I was able to speak with the actual tech that would be working on my car and everyone I interacted with was very friendly. The bad news is I left with no more confidence of things being fixed than when I went in. As I was explaining my issues to the service advisor and tech, they seemed to think that the main issues I brought up were normal. I still have a hard time believing this but I'm keeping my hopes up that once they check it out they will see what's happening to mine is not normal.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So I picked up my car right before they closed. 10k service done, no charge just like it should have been. Great!

HVAC system fixed! I wasn't crazy after all, there was actually a service bulletin (S1824000016) for it with a software fix and it's all good now. I set the temp to 68 and drove around for 20 minutes and it kept me comfortable the entire time. First time I've been able to turn it up past 62 without it blasting hot air since I've owned the vehicle. Excited I won't have to keep my window cracked while driving in single digit weather in the mountains. Haha

Crackling sound from speakers while playing music via USB is also fixed. Service bulletin 08-012-19 addresses this issue. Software was updated from 002.009.043 to 002.009.059. In addition to it fixing the crackling sound, I also noticed the entire system sounds better. There is more bass (still lacking but better) and some of the harshness that I was experiencing is gone. There must have been some type of recalibration or something to it with that software update because it's a noticeable difference. Almost like it was being held back and now it's been woken up. While still not amazing it's a good improvement and makes me a lot happier and much less bitter about paying for the HK upgrade.

Unfortunately they weren't able to find anything wrong with the creaking sounds from the steering column. They said there is a service bulletin (02-005-18) that addresses this issue and it's just a characteristic of the Alfa Link suspension. I still find this hard to believe as it's pretty loud inside the vehicle and doesn't sound right and I've never heard anyone else in the forum complain about this.

In addition to all this the customer service at this service center has significantly improved and I had such a better experience that I will definitely work with them again. So overall I would say this was a huge success even though I chose not to address all issues this time around. The fact that I can now sit in my car and be comfortable temp wise and play some crackle free music makes me a lot happier than I was before. I'll probably setup another appointment to address the remaining issues (and readdress the steering system) once tax season is over and I have a bit more free time.
integrale and harvest like this.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 10:27 PM

Garage
Great to hear it! Here’s hoping you keep on enjoying your Stelvio.

Mine doesn’t make any noise other than tire noise at full lock at low speed. The Ackerman angle is fierce on this car.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport: Misano Blue with yellow calipers

Performance pack, leather dash, sunroof, CarPlay/AA, HK upgrade (-3 fade +7 bass -3 mid -4 treble)