Problems continue... - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Deek1015

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Problems continue...

Just got Stelvio back at 2000 miles and it’s making the same whistle noise while driving as before and when I rev it up it’s a loud whining noise. I left a message for service that I won’t have this thing long again before the same thing happens. See work order... I’m so done with this car!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AF61D50C-A68D-4567-A3F0-107C1B2C6321_1562886549867.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	572.8 KB
ID:	15719  
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:22 PM

2018 Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Misano Blue with yellow calipers

Forza Componenti exhaust controller (model E3)
Ceramic Pro coating

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:29 PM

bad carma.
doesn't much matter if it's the dealer causing/prolonging it.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:38 PM

No new car should have a report like this. It looks more like a report on my 1975 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. IN 1975. At the same time, my new Stelvio QV, albeit with only 1600 miles on it, is problem free, and the dealer, Alfa Romeo of Morris County (NJ), cannot do enough to keep my Stelvio and me happy. I've never in 40 years had a better experience with a car dealer, and that includes, FIAT, Honda, Triunph, Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes-Benz dealers.

Last edited by harvest; 07-11-2019 at 10:42 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvest View Post
No new car should have a report like this. It looks more like a report on my 1975 Fiat 124 Sport Coupe. IN 1975. At the same time, my new Stelvio QV, albeit with only 1600 miles on it, is problem free, and the dealer, Alfa Romeo of Morris County (NJ), cannot do enough to keep my Stelvio and me happy. I've never in 40 years had a better experience with a car dealer, and that includes, FIAT, Honda, Triunph, Audi, Porsche, and Mercedes-Benz dealers.
I agree. But nevertheless this is one of 5 now in 2000 miles (most of which are miles to and from dealership) and the dealer keeps sending me home with problems. Alfa care has been useless. It’s time to escalate this to a lemon.
huskyz and harvest like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 04:03 AM

So sorry @Deek1015 .

Looks like...

What they found was a disconnected body ground (disconnected because they did not reconnect it after replacing the transmission). The tech also found the same harness that was replaced before was damaged again. The ground was cleaned, the ground connected, and the headlamp to dash harness was replaced.

Which is strange since it is the brake sensor that was burned up as noted.

There is no reason given for replacing that harness. My assumption is it was a guess repair to fix the interior electronics not turning off.

The starter is not shown as replaced. More telling...the brake sensor described as melted is not listed in the notes as being replaced. You should check the parts list on your invoice. You should see a brake sensor. If none of that is listed because it was a "free" repair...well...

...check the laws in your state. I know Ca requires all replaced parts and all diagnostic procedures to be listed whether or not the repair is warranty or full charge, or at the repair shop's expense.

More so I dont see any testing of the related electrical systems. All of which should have been checked. Having the ground arc out will cause voltage and current variations that could break any and every electrical system, as neither fuses not relays protect against that type of damage...voltage dips are as bad as peaks for longevity of any electronic system but there is no internal protection against dips.

Worse no testing for the transmission. Having the ground arc against the case is not good for any electronics inside...it could also damage internal seals, cause oxidation of the fluid which could thin it out and cause damage... Maybe not too..why it should be tested.

No surprise you still have a noise given these issues. Upsetting...very upsetting, not surprising though. Sucky.

This reeks of rushed diagnosis and probably cheap management. In other words a bad dealer making a problem worse, and then worse again...

I would highly suggest beginning lemon preceedings, as the laws in your state will require one last repair attempt regardless. *I think*.

Probably Alfa can't escalate because your state requires a letter.

Keep the letter factual, # of days in service # of repair attempts. What the problems were as listed on your invoices. Then repeat the requirements of the law, showing you meet them.

Do not talk about dealer incompetence...do not talk about emotions. Although you should include the # of hours spent driving to and from the dealer as a fact.

Otherwise, best to not complicate matters now. Keep it need to know. They only need to know the car meets the requirements for a lemon buy-back or replacement. These people are just looking to check boxes, make it easy for them.

Hope you can get an Alfa to enjoy...cause I think you really would.....and chances are you won't have this problem again.

However if that is the only dealership...get it serviced elsewhere after the free service....maybe say "screw free" and pay for the first service at a competent, independent shop.

And while I highly agree nothing like this should ever happen...a check of any manufacturer's forum shows it does happen to all of them.....too many electrical systems, all of them built by the same 3-4 suppliers.

No one wants to pay the tech for 30+ hours of testing and diagnosis to check every system and connection...they should though, long run it would be cheaper.

Again sorry. If it makes you feel better I am upset for you. This sucks.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAOFFROAD View Post
So sorry @Deek1015 .

Looks like...

What they found was a disconnected body ground (disconnected because they did not reconnect it after replacing the transmission). The tech also found the same harness that was replaced before was damaged again. The ground was cleaned, the ground connected, and the headlamp to dash harness was replaced.

Which is strange since it is the brake sensor that was burned up as noted.

There is no reason given for replacing that harness. My assumption is it was a guess repair to fix the interior electronics not turning off.

The starter is not shown as replaced. More telling...the brake sensor described as melted is not listed in the notes as being replaced. You should check the parts list on your invoice. You should see a brake sensor. If none of that is listed because it was a "free" repair...well...

...check the laws in your state. I know Ca requires all replaced parts and all diagnostic procedures to be listed whether or not the repair is warranty or full charge, or at the repair shop's expense.

More so I dont see any testing of the related electrical systems. All of which should have been checked. Having the ground arc out will cause voltage and current variations that could break any and every electrical system, as neither fuses not relays protect against that type of damage...voltage dips are as bad as peaks for longevity of any electronic system but there is no internal protection against dips.

Worse no testing for the transmission. Having the ground arc against the case is not good for any electronics inside...it could also damage internal seals, cause oxidation of the fluid which could thin it out and cause damage... Maybe not too..why it should be tested.

No surprise you still have a noise given these issues. Upsetting...very upsetting, not surprising though. Sucky.

This reeks of rushed diagnosis and probably cheap management. In other words a bad dealer making a problem worse, and then worse again...

I would highly suggest beginning lemon preceedings, as the laws in your state will require one last repair attempt regardless. *I think*.

Probably Alfa can't escalate because your state requires a letter.

Keep the letter factual, # of days in service # of repair attempts. What the problems were as listed on your invoices. Then repeat the requirements of the law, showing you meet them.

Do not talk about dealer incompetence...do not talk about emotions. Although you should include the # of hours spent driving to and from the dealer as a fact.

Otherwise, best to not complicate matters now. Keep it need to know. They only need to know the car meets the requirements for a lemon buy-back or replacement. These people are just looking to check boxes, make it easy for them.

Hope you can get an Alfa to enjoy...cause I think you really would.....and chances are you won't have this problem again.

However if that is the only dealership...get it serviced elsewhere after the free service....maybe say "screw free" and pay for the first service at a competent, independent shop.

And while I highly agree nothing like this should ever happen...a check of any manufacturer's forum shows it does happen to all of them.....too many electrical systems, all of them built by the same 3-4 suppliers.

No one wants to pay the tech for 30+ hours of testing and diagnosis to check every system and connection...they should though, long run it would be cheaper.

Again sorry. If it makes you feel better I am upset for you. This sucks.
Thank you @ALFAOFFROAD for all this - diagnostics, knowledge and support...you’ve been so helpful to me and I appreciate it so very much.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 11:48 AM

You need to stop the pain and file a lemon claim. Im in Michigan u mind telling me the dealer so I don’t go there if I need service?

http://michigan.lemonlawgrouppartners.com

Im not affiliated with this group nor have I used them but they state their services are free. I represented myself and won a lemon claim against Ford several years ago. Best of luck You will be entitled to a refund or replacement because I think your car have been in the shop for than 30 days in the first year.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page