Chirping? - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 03:28 AM Thread Starter

Chirping?

Has anyone else experienced a chirping noise coming from the right side of the dash? It is intermittent, somewhat speed sensitive, often aggravated by bumps, and is eliminated by turning off the HVAC system. Dealer thinks it's a blow motor in the HVAC system.

Not sure if related, but also have one FM channel with extra poor quality sound. Other FM, Sirius, USB and Bluetooth are all fine. Dealer is going to try an infotainment update.
post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-27-2018, 08:12 PM

Likely a bad blower motor, or something in the heater box, maybe a leaf.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 06:45 AM

It happens to me too. Here you can see it in a video. If you realize when I turn off the fan the sound goes off little by little so it sure is the fan. I have 8,500 km In the review of the 15,000 I will notify the dealer to fix it or change it.

Aqu:

STELVIO 2.0 280CV FIRST EDITION I AT8 AWD GRIS STROMBOLI
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 12:25 PM

@Cambir did you solve the theme of the chirp?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFATECH View Post
Likely a bad blower motor, or something in the heater box, maybe a leaf.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

eeekkk, that sound drives me crazy just listening to the video!

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport, Rosso Alfa Red, Black sport seats & interior, sun roof, HK audio system
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 11:26 AM

Garage
HVAC Chirping - it is a real thing & wicked annoying!

We purchased our 2018 Stelvio in Aug 2017. During the Fall months of 2017, we started noticing the chirping noise within the HVAC when the weather got colder. We notice it most when outside temps are below 40 degrees F. We have also noticed that the chirping cadence increases with acceleration. Makes perfect sense as the blower motor would get a surge from the serpentine belt spinning faster. Not sure if it is the blower motor itself or something related to the fan blades. Definitely not a leaf though so don't settle on that or let the dealer dismiss you.

Regardless, the chirping is wicked annoying. We have had the car to the dealer several times. Unfortunately, the chirping is intermittent and hard to replicate for diagnosis. We need more owners with the issue to come forward and complain to get action. Dealer tells us to 'just enjoy the car' - really hard to when annoyed most of the time...

I plan to go back to the dealer and push the blower motor/fan as the source of the issue. I will not rest until this is addressed and fixed.

As a side note, we have had the stelvio in several times for gasketing issues around windows and the windshield cowl - not impressed with the mechanics and I have had to instruct them what to look at and how to address the issues. Overall it does not seem the mechanics are well prepared for this first generation. Let this be a lesson to all buying a first generation.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-18-2018, 02:24 PM

If you're right. I still did not wear it. I'm waiting for the first review to say it. The noise is similar to yours, when it is colder it is more annoying and does not always sound. The worst thing is that I do not know that they have to dismantle to access the fan and at least disassemble the mechanics much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsnob View Post
We purchased our 2018 Stelvio in Aug 2017. During the Fall months of 2017, we started noticing the chirping noise within the HVAC when the weather got colder. We notice it most when outside temps are below 40 degrees F. We have also noticed that the chirping cadence increases with acceleration. Makes perfect sense as the blower motor would get a surge from the serpentine belt spinning faster. Not sure if it is the blower motor itself or something related to the fan blades. Definitely not a leaf though so don't settle on that or let the dealer dismiss you.

Regardless, the chirping is wicked annoying. We have had the car to the dealer several times. Unfortunately, the chirping is intermittent and hard to replicate for diagnosis. We need more owners with the issue to come forward and complain to get action. Dealer tells us to 'just enjoy the car' - really hard to when annoyed most of the time...

I plan to go back to the dealer and push the blower motor/fan as the source of the issue. I will not rest until this is addressed and fixed.

As a side note, we have had the stelvio in several times for gasketing issues around windows and the windshield cowl - not impressed with the mechanics and I have had to instruct them what to look at and how to address the issues. Overall it does not seem the mechanics are well prepared for this first generation. Let this be a lesson to all buying a first generation.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 AM
ARS

I have heard a similar noise, but only a couple of times. And only after Cambir's post, never prior. So I've gone about 3500 miles without it appearing. I agree it does sound like something in the fan housing.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:22 AM Thread Starter

@vallansa not yet...blower motor arrived this week, so will be taking it in probably next week for replacement.

They will also be replacing my warped fuel door.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-23-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Absolutely not a leaf or anything stuck in there. It is speed sensitive, temp sensitive, and super annoying. I have just over 3k miles too.

Mine was intermittent as well. The advisor came out and listened while parked and we couldn't reproduce. As I drove away, it happened again, so I drove right back and they immediately got a tech to go ride with me. They heard it, identified it, gave me a loaner, talked with Alfa who said they have had a few reports of this (I think they must have been able to isolate it because the day they returned the car to me the noise had stopped...maybe temporarily lubricated?).

Blow motor was ordered on Alfa's recommendation. Then Alfa assigned a rep to my "case" who continued to follow up with me via email and phone on the delivery of the part.

I will follow up when replaced!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page