Service Electronic Throttle Message - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
ARS

Service Electronic Throttle Message

Twice in the last weekend I've gotten the 'Service Electronic Throttle' error message. First time the accelerator pedal still seemed to work. I pulled off the freeway, restarted the engine, and the error message did not repeat. About a thousand miles later the error message appeared again. The accelerator pedal seemed to do nothing. I floored it. No response. I did that again twice. At last full power appeared. At next stop for fuel, the error message cleared as before.

Just now I read that Automobile magazine's Giulia Quadrifoglio set the throttle error and went into limp mode upon left foot braking. I do use both feet and was using that technique when the throttle error flashed on. But I have used both feet many more times than the throttle error has appeared. Is Automobile right that there is an incorrect assumption of one pedal at a time in the software?
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

are you tracking the car, or doing this in normal driving? left foot braking is generally only done on a track... Also, you shouldn't be pressing both pedals at once except for the situation where you are about to launch the car and are brake torqueing to get the revs and boost up.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport, Rosso Alfa Red, Black sport seats & interior, sun roof, HK audio system
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
ARS

Millions of drivers in the USA were trained in Driver's Education to drive with both feet. When the brake foot goes down, the accelerator foot may not release in the same instant. The car's software should not call the electronic throttle broken when this happens. Automobile magazine seems to have the same view.
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
ARS

The question is has anyone else seen the 'Service Electronic Throttle' message, and if so was the pedal working or not at or after the message, did the message clear or persist on the next start up of the car, and was it possible both pedals were depressed at the moment the message appeared.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARS View Post
Millions of drivers in the USA were trained in Driver's Education to drive with both feet.
I sincerely hope not... (In many countries doing so is actually cause for failing your driving test)

The error message isn't that odd if you look at it a bigger picture. For example Porsche does something similar, though they make it slightly more clear why / what's happening.

Also, it's pretty well universally regarded world wide as a bad thing to do (outside of racing).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-foot_braking
https://www.wheels.ca/news/the-probl...with-two-feet/

Good reasons to not do it:
  • You can't be a left foot braker and drive stick shift
  • It can result in "Two Footed Panic" in an emergency situation where the gas doesn't get released.
  • Its jerky, it takes a lot of practice to make your non-dominant foot brake smoothly.
  • It can lead to people dragging the brakes if you're constantly covering the brake pedal.
  • Constantly covering a brake in a non-ABS equipped vehicle can cause the user to apply the brakes too aggressively, causing a wheel to lock up before the vehicle can load the wheel up.
Good reasons to do it:
  • It can help overcome understeer in some cars, really something you want to keep to a track.
  • It can help eliminate the time where a car is coasting between throttle and applying the brake, which is good for improving lap times, something you want to keep to a track.
  • Its good for line locking, so that you can load up a transmission in order to get a good launch / initiate a burnout, something you want to keep to a track.
  • Simultaneous gas and brake keeps turbo pressure and reduces turbo lag, which improves track times, but wears out brake much faster.

Finally if you are still unsure why it's not considered a good idea, At 10mph stand on both pedals and see which wins. that simulates the "Two Footed Panic" situation, and if the winner isn't the gas pedal something is wrong with your engine.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport, Rosso Alfa Red, Black sport seats & interior, sun roof, HK audio system
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Never see yet
ARS likes this.

Italian Stelvio 280hp owner from Padua
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
ARS

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDrive View Post
I sincerely hope not... (In many countries doing so is actually cause for failing your driving test)

Finally if you are still unsure why it's not considered a good idea, At 10mph stand on both pedals and see which wins. that simulates the "Two Footed Panic" situation, and if the winner isn't the gas pedal something is wrong with your engine.
Amen!

Stelvio Ti Sport Misano Blue
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 04:57 AM Thread Starter
ARS

A forum is for sharing information, not bullying other members with irrelevant information.

No car should show an error message on the instrument panel regardless what input is made by the driver. Error messages should be about real problems in the car. Is my Stelvio’s Electronic Throttle defective? This is what I expect to learn about here.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 03:26 PM

So I received the same "Service Electronic Throttle" error message last night on my new (1000 mikes) vehicle.

After several restarts the error message to service engine, and the engine warning light, have not cleared, though the vehicle seems to be performing normally (except the auto stop/start is disabled due to the error, and that warning shows up on the cluster as well).

When it happened last night, it was actually quite scary, as I was on the freeway. The car immediately lost throttle response and went into the previously mentioned 'limp mode'. That is, when I pressed on the gas the car actually lost speed, dropping to below 40mph, and declining. And it would not respond to stepping on the gas - essentially keeping the same speed or decreasing. I was able to pull of on the shoulder, and limp to an exit and park. I turned off the vehicle and restarted, and the error lights remained but the car performed normally (except the auto start / stop disabled).

Driving on the freeway without throttle response was a huge safety concern for me art the time.

I need to take the vehicle into Alfa to see what they say, and clear the code.

Edit: I admit I have sometimes driven with 2 feet. It's a throwback to my previous cars with clutches, so I guess I'm used to my left foot being active. I know, not good. I don't know if this was the case when I received the error code, especially as I was driving on the freeway.

Last edited by michaelk; 04-02-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page