Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Shaking at 65-75mph

27K views 74 replies 32 participants last post by  Billias 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Anyone have this issue.. I have the 20' continental tires -Ti Sport AWD.

Took it to the dealer, couldn't find any flat spots with the tires, balance was fine. They did adjust the alignment from what the factory spec supposedly was. Looked like lots of little minor changes. Drove it home and noticed its still shaking at 70ishmph

Thoughts?

#32 ·
Me too!

I"m "happy" to know I'm not alone in this. I notice it between 70-80mph (not that I speed at all). I have the ti and the 19" tires. I'm about to take it in to the dealer for the recall, the shake and also something I'd be really curious to know if anyone else has experienced.... rollback. It's far worse with the auto-start "feature" on but also with it off. When at a stop (flat street or slight hill) moving my foot from the brake to the gas and the vehicle will roll back slightly. Without the auto-start I would say it can roll back up to 3-6"... with the auto-start on it's enough to make me panic and stomp the brake so I don't roll into the car behind me. It doesn't happen every time, maybe 30% of the time, but when it does it sucks. I've taken to always turning off the auto-start because of it. From what I can tell, on a steep enough hill it seems like the brake might be applied so it doesn't do it.

Anyone else?

#33 ·
I"m "happy" to know I'm not alone in this. I notice it between 70-80mph (not that I speed at all). I have the ti and the 19" tires. I'm about to take it in to the dealer for the recall, the shake and also something I'd be really curious to know if anyone else has experienced.... rollback. It's far worse with the auto-start "feature" on but also with it off. When at a stop (flat street or slight hill) moving my foot from the brake to the gas and the vehicle will roll back slightly. Without the auto-start I would say it can roll back up to 3-6"... with the auto-start on it's enough to make me panic and stomp the brake so I don't roll into the car behind me. It doesn't happen every time, maybe 30% of the time, but when it does it sucks. I've taken to always turning off the auto-start because of it. From what I can tell, on a steep enough hill it seems like the brake might be applied so it doesn't do it.

Anyone else?
Mine does that too.. Just a little bit like I've took my foot off the break to switch it to the imaginary clutch while giving it gas kinda roll back.

With your shaking situation.. it doesn't do it at lower speeds does it?

#36 ·
I haven't picked up our Stelvio yet and hope I don't have to deal with this vibration issue. Just as reference, when I got my Audi it was on the lot for 6 months and also had a vibration. The dealer replaced the Pirelli tires at 100 miles and problem solved. I hope to get service on par with Audi.

#37 ·
Greetings Bob !!! Where are you in NY ? You should complete your Stelvio experience by joining the New York Chapter of the Alfa Romeo Owners Club !!

NYAROC

Good luck and Happy Motoring !!!!!

#42 ·
UPDATE***

So my dealer replaced my tires. They also verified my rims are not defective. Steering wheel on car still vibrates in the morning between 45-75mph..

They also claim they checked my suspension and everything is fine..

Dealer not too bright. First thing you do is just pull the wheels from a demo, put on yours to check things before replacement. Quicker too. Lateral defects are REALLY tough, wouldn't be first out of balance wheel ever.... good luck as stated here, maybe the undercoat or final seal on the driveshaft put it out of balance or their is a faulty knuckle. I had that on stock driveshaft of my 99 Cobra....PIA to discover and it was that way from factory.

#41 ·
Is it possible that the driveshaft could be out of balance? I had a Camaro a few years ago that would get a vibration only between 50-55mph, tried rotating tires, and different set of wheels nothing would fix the problem. Finally took the driveshaft in to get balanced and that was the culprit.

#43 ·
If it does it in the morning only then I would suspect a bad axle shaft in the front, would make sense because once the joints warm up it loosens everything up and stops.
Regardless, that is not normal, if they insist it is, grab a demo or another Stelvio off the lot and go for a ride.

#44 ·
Update...

So my Stelvio went in monday for the repairs and recalls. Recall went without a hitch.

The service manager told me they couldn't replicate the problem but they're not allowed to test drive the vehicle faster than 55mph so I'm somewhat at an impasse. You can visibly see the shake in the steering wheel at 75mph so I know I'm not totally crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions?

#46 ·
So my Stelvio went in monday for the repairs and recalls. Recall went without a hitch.

The service manager told me they couldn't replicate the problem but they're not allowed to test drive the vehicle faster than 55mph so I'm somewhat at an impasse. You can visibly see the shake in the steering wheel at 75mph so I know I'm not totally crazy.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Ask the manager to ride with you while you drive it at the offending speed. That way they are not test driving it, they are just riding along with you!

#49 ·
Absolutely!

#51 ·
Was the dealer really that STUPID to automatically suggest this????

#53 ·
Took the to another dealer. They let me drive another Stelvio Ti Sport with the Continentals and low and behold the steering wheel visibility shook just like on my car. The service manager acknowledged seeing it and said that seemed a bit excessive. This dealer went ahead and road forced balanced my tires anyway after checking everything. Unfortunately the steering wheel shakes / vibrates at 70mph+ still. The sales manager said its probably the shitty continentals.

Well great I'm still 99% sure what I'm experiencing isn't normal

#54 ·
Reviving an old thread here, but I was wondering if anyone ever got a resolution on this issue? I bought my Stelvio 2 weeks ago and have been experiencing this issue since day 2 of owning it - or at least that's when I really noticed it. Already been to the dealer multiple times (which has been frustrating, to put it mildly) and now an Alfa Engineer is supposed to come out Tuesday to look at it. In the meantime, I am really hoping maybe this was resolved and I can at least have an idea in the back of my mind of what it could be or probably is.

Thanks to anyone for any info and happy to be on the forums. Hopefully my future conversations start on a more happy note.

#55 ·
Reviving an old thread here, but I was wondering if anyone ever got a resolution on this is sue? I bought my Stelvio 2 weeks ago and have been experiencing this issue since day 2 of owning it - or at least that's when I really noticed it. Already been to the dealer multiple times (which has been frustrating, to put it mildly) and now an Alfa Engineer is supposed to come out Tuesday to look at it. In the meantime, I am really hoping maybe this was resolved and I can at least have an idea in the back of my mind of what it could be or probably is.

Thanks to anyone for any info and happy to be on the forums. Hopefully my future conversations start on a more happy note.

I'll bet it's flat spots on the tires from sitting in inventory so long .

#56 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I should have given a bit more context, apologize for that. So far the dealer has swapped out the original wheels and tires with a set from another Stelvio (which are the ones they left on there now) checked balance and alignment. They also ended up replacing the front rotors as it was indisputable that they were warped which has helped the shaking while braking (separate issue), but the shudder/shake/bounce around 65 and above is still there. Obviously, this hasn't been my ideal first experience with the brand, but I am really hoping this issue got resolved for the OP and whatever worked before will get mine running like it should.

#57 ·
Thanks for the reply!

I should have given a bit more context, apologize for that. So far the dealer has swapped out the original wheels and tires with a set from another Stelvio (which are the ones they left on there now) checked balance and alignment. They also ended up replacing the front rotors as it was indisputable that they were warped which has helped the shaking while braking (separate issue), but the shudder/shake/bounce around 65 and above is still there. Obviously, this hasn't been my ideal first experience with the brand, but I am really hoping this issue got resolved for the OP and whatever worked before will get mine running like it should.

Are you sure the new ones are not from a long sitting car?
I assume you have correct tire pressure.

#58 ·
I suppose anything is possible, but I am hoping the dealer would have thought of that as they were the ones who acknowledged the possibility of flat spots and voluntarily tried different tires. Hoping the field engineer will have come across anything similar to what I have going on and know a fix, even if it is a second set of tires have flat spots. I know the continentals aren't the smoothest ride, but know for sure this isn't anything 'normal' even if I had to argue with the dealer for 20 minutes on my latest (4th-5th?) trip to get them to acknowledge that indeed it shouldn't ride the way it does.

#62 ·
I recently bought a stelvio and i went for a long drive, then i noticed the vibration at 80mph and between 80-90 mph. I have booked a service appointment this week and have to see what dealer says.
Tires might be overfull. Common issue.

Check your tire pressure and if above 34 front 36 rear, lower to those numbers.

Might not fix your issue but worth checking...

#63 ·
Hi all,

Anyone have this issue.. I have the 20' continental tires -Ti Sport AWD.

Took it to the dealer, couldn't find any flat spots with the tires, balance was fine. They did adjust the alignment from what the factory spec supposedly was. Looked like lots of little minor changes. Drove it home and noticed its still shaking at 70ishmph

Thoughts?
I recently bought a stelvio and i went for a long drive, then i noticed the vibration at 80mph and between 80-90 mph. I have booked a service appointment this week and have to see what dealer says.
I'm having the same issue. Getting a little vibration at 110-120 mph. My dealer will have no issues test driving the car at those speeds. ?

#64 ·
Had similar problem for years on my '92 E-36 with wheel vibration between 55 and 65 mph, which was very irritating. After various alignments, tire balances, new tires, and such with no improvement, it turned out to be a simple fix. A very cheap plastic part called a hub centric ring needed to be added to each wheel to true on the hub. My car drives perfectly now.

#65 ·
Look for a bent rim. It does not have to be a flat spot. It can also be an oscillation laterally. They will typically cause a vibration in a very tight range of speed. If you know you have hit something in the past......

#66 ·
Wouldn’t be putting up with this in a new car. I’d be invoking lemon law and getting a replacement. I have had zero problems with my early ‘18 Ti. On OEM continentals, winter Hakkapelittas or Michelin summer tires up to 130mph. Happens, probably damaged in a test drive, shipping or defective OEM wheel. They don’t “all do this.” BTW this happens to all brands. Had an Audi in the UK...

#68 ·
From my experience, the dealers usually did a better job with tire balancing than the indi. Most of the local indi can't spin the wheels faster than 70 or 80, i forget.. Why spend money to check for balancing when your car is new? If it's just that I think it's worth the wait for the dealer to check everything although you may think it's just balancing issue.