AC mostly works but cut out while long-distance driving? - Page 3 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 4
Exact same thing happened to me.
A/C cut off during 2 1/2 hour trip from Northern NJ to Atlantic City.
I could hear fan blowing but no air from the vents in 90 degree weather.
Stopped car at gas station and opened hood to find AC lines frozen.
Kept for about 10 minutes and then removed ice from AC lines and then I was able to get AC working again.
The A/C in general is not so cold. Not too cold and not too warm but AUTO fan works hard to keep cabin temperature low even on 74~75 degree settings

Took the car in for service and the tech said the refrigerant is low from factory.

Recharged the refrigerant and have to see if this solves the problem.
xxdemo is offline  
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 03:25 PM
Senior Member
 
jwq2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 242
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxdemo View Post
Exact same thing happened to me.
A/C cut off during 2 1/2 hour trip from Northern NJ to Atlantic City.
I could hear fan blowing but no air from the vents in 90 degree weather.
Stopped car at gas station and opened hood to find AC lines frozen.
Kept for about 10 minutes and then removed ice from AC lines and then I was able to get AC working again.
The A/C in general is not so cold. Not too cold and not too warm but AUTO fan works hard to keep cabin temperature low even on 74~75 degree settings

Took the car in for service and the tech said the refrigerant is low from factory.

Recharged the refrigerant and have to see if this solves the problem.
doubt it, think you need the software update
24-003-18

My car : https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/g...vehicle_id=559

previous Alfa's : Alfa alfetta GTV, Alfasud QV, Spider 2.0 Veloce, 164 2.0, 147 GTA, Alfa giulia AWD 280 Hp

Last edited by jwq2; 09-07-2018 at 03:28 PM.
jwq2 is online now  
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 36
Curiously, I just had an issue last night where the AC nor fan would turn on, and then later just popped on while I wasn't pressing any buttons. It's the first time it's happened, I have 11,000 miles, and have used the AC frequently this summer.

Scenario as follows: 3 hour drive, AC on whole way (hot on the east coast). Parked and met daughter for dinner. About 45 minutes later, started the car and AC and fan wouldn't work. I tried multiple buttons, turning things on and off, adjusting temp. The info system showed the blower bar as increasing as I turned knobs, but nothing coming out. Started and stopped car a few times, no change. After about a 5 minute drive, I dropped my daughter off, still no AC despite my fiddling with buttons. I had given up. Then, she opens the passenger door, shuts it, and the AC kicked on. Worked fine for my whole drive home.
michaelk is offline  
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 09:51 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq2 View Post
doubt it, think you need the software update
24-003-18
Did that solution work for you? After about 2 hours the same things happens here....no AC at all, you can hear the fans pumping hard but no air comes out (sounds like the air is 'trapped' behind the dashboard if that makes any sense).....well very very minimal hot air comes out of the Passenger side vents...Absolutely no air comes out of the driver side and rear vents.

We brought it in for service the 1st time, but they couldn't find a solution and said there was nothing wrong. We've just experienced the same issue three times again...not fun when taking long trips in the 100 degree Texas summers.

To me untrained abilities, seems liked the compressor stopped working as no cold air would come out of the vents....however was thinking it's coupled with an electronic issue as only half the car's vents would work at least to blow out hot air after the AC goes down....and as mentioned the fan strength was at best a trickle (full strength fan for example felts less than what it would on the normal lowest setting).

Called Alfa this morning to set up an appointment, but they've said they've never heard of this issue and will look again, however they didn't sounds very confident...After the first time they couldn't find a solution they said the best bet would be to drive it for 2 hours and then bring it in immediately to assess the situation....not ideal customer service in my opinion.

Thanks
Texas_Stelvio is offline  
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:40 AM
Senior Member
 
jwq2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 242
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Stelvio View Post
Did that solution work for you? ....
Thanks
For me, yes.... That's why there is a service bulletin on this....
The problem is that ice forms on the interior heat exchanger, if the air is humid. This causes ice to form on the heat exchanger, blocking the airstream, causing even more ice to form etc. till airstream is blocked completely
Only solution is to switch off airco, allowing ice to melt.

The software update solves the ice forming problem...

My car : https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/g...vehicle_id=559

previous Alfa's : Alfa alfetta GTV, Alfasud QV, Spider 2.0 Veloce, 164 2.0, 147 GTA, Alfa giulia AWD 280 Hp
jwq2 is online now  
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 11:53 AM
Senior Member
 
ALFAOFFROAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1,110
When you say called "Alfa", you mean the dealer? Just want to be clear.

You may want to point that bulletin out to them.

That poor customer service could extend to not going through the TSB's.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ
ALFAOFFROAD is online now  
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:01 PM
Member
 
pinu12345@yahoo.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq2 View Post
For me, yes.... That's why there is a service bulletin on this....
The problem is that ice forms on the interior heat exchanger, if the air is humid. This causes ice to form on the heat exchanger, blocking the airstream, causing even more ice to form etc. till airstream is blocked completely
Only solution is to switch off airco, allowing ice to melt.

The software update solves the ice forming problem...
Would you be able to share that service bulletin # if you still have the paperwork from the service that fixed the problem for you?

2019 Ti Sport white / red
[email protected] is offline  
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 12:24 PM
Senior Member
 
jwq2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts: 242
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Would you be able to share that service bulletin # if you still have the paperwork from the service that fixed the problem for you?
Here you go :
24-001-18 REV. A.pdf

this refers to the giulia. There is an identical one for the stelvio, No 24-003-18

My car : https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/g...vehicle_id=559

previous Alfa's : Alfa alfetta GTV, Alfasud QV, Spider 2.0 Veloce, 164 2.0, 147 GTA, Alfa giulia AWD 280 Hp

Last edited by jwq2; 08-05-2019 at 12:47 PM.
jwq2 is online now  
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAOFFROAD View Post
When you say called "Alfa", you mean the dealer? Just want to be clear.

You may want to point that bulletin out to them.

That poor customer service could extend to not going through the TSB's.
Exactly the dealer. Thanks.
Texas_Stelvio is offline  
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq2 View Post
Here you go :
24-001-18 REV. A.pdf

this refers to the giulia. There is an identical one for the stelvio, No 24-003-18
Perfect thanks, will bring this along to the appointment at the dealer.
Texas_Stelvio is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Active cruise control too close even at max distance? stelviofan Electronics 4 03-21-2018 11:22 AM
Driving Position benlm Stelvio Complaints, Issues And Problems 2 01-04-2018 07:32 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome