2018-2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Recall: Coolant Hose May Leak Causing Stall - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Exclamation 2018-2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Recall: Coolant Hose May Leak Causing Stall

A loss of coolant can cause the engine to overheat and the vehicle to stall, increasing the risk of a crash.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V635000

Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)

Components ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING

Potential Number of Units Affected 674

Summary

Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2018-2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio vehicles. The engine cooling hose may have inadequate webbing material allowing a coolant leak.

Remedy

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the coolant hose, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin November 3, 2018. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is U99.

4 Associated Documents
Remedy Instructions and TSB

Recall Acknowledgement

Defect Notice 573 Report

Manufacturer Notices(to Dealers,etc) - 09/21/2018 New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – U99
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 01:35 PM

Garage
Only 674 cars!!! Is there a place to check the VIN#?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:13 PM

Only Quadrifoglios

"Fate l'amore, non la guerra"
2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
2015 Moto Guzzi Griso
2004 Mazdaspeed MX-5 Turbo
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 10:47 AM

I wanted to chime in here as the owner of a 2018 Stelvio TI Sport manufactured in 5/2017. This is an interesting recall as it is just quads because I occasionally smell coolant from the driver seat...especially when I give the car some gas (which is expected when there is a leak). I haven't called the dealer to have it looked at but my coolant levels aren't too far under where they should be.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Unread 02-22-2019, 01:00 PM

Anyone else have coolant issues? My Stelvio (Ti) only has 2,300 miles and it's coolant level is justa hair below the minimum already!

Reading these comments, I wonder if that is also a major issue??
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Unread 08-24-2019, 03:20 AM

I had this hose replacement recall done to my stelvio quadrifoglio, it took 5 hours, they have to take apart so much of the engine parts up near the firewall of the passenger compartment, and under the car and the front fenders to drain the coolant, if you look at the instructions you will poop your pants as it is incredibly complicated and I think that this pain is not worth it. There is no way a tech will have this much experience to do this right. There is a great chance that something will go wrong from doing this other than the original problem of the hose leaking or whatever, the dealer wouldnít let me leave without doing it saying it was a safety recall. I would never do this again unless they force you to do it, there is a 50/50 chance that something else will go wrong. I canít believe that alfa would think this is a good idea. The hose recall says it ďmayĒ not have mesh or be strong, it does not say that it will fail. Thatís not good enough of a reason to do a 26 page tear down of your engine compartment, and unhook every cable tie and many many control modules, and disconnecting 20-30 plastic electrical connectors that are fragile to begin with. This is an insane repair.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 02:02 AM

Recall states four claims of hose leakage were reported in July 2018 out of a total of 674 potentially effected cars manufactured between end of November 2017 and end of August 2018.

I would consider this a pretty high early failure rate for a critical component and am glad to have had the required repair made before taking delivery of our vehicle.

In general if one doesn't trust their dealership's service department to be competent enough to perform routine mandated recall work, it is probably a good indicator to search out another dealership.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 11:08 PM

What ever any one wants to do! But thatís a .59 percent failure. So 1/2 a percent failure rate. The point is, my opinion only, I would let it leak and have that be my decision to do this recall. No one has obviously read the 26 pages that you posted that describe the recall work. As I said 5 hours worth, I stood there while the tech did it, my tech said it was very involved and he has to take everything apart, he didnít want to do it, was concerned, he even has to connect the battery to the charger as if power fails during the repair then youre screwed and then requires full electronic recovery. Iím all for doing the repair, but Iím telling you itís very complex and the chances that something else will go wrong from taking apart your engine compartment is much much much greater than .59 percent. The ECM modules are being taken out completely, then reinstalled, the steering is being reset, all your coolant is being taken out of both radiators, main and back up, the front right cowling is being removed, many many electrical connectors are being unplugged. This is not just replacing a hose. Ok thatís my last note on the topic. As I said, please read the 26 pages and you all can decide what you want to do. But Iím happy I have the new hose. But my old hose was working just great even when outside temps were 100 degrees on many days. Good luck to all.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 03:33 AM

Percentage is low but four failures occured in span of just a few months of actual vehicle use. Additionally, I suspect many of the effected vehicles were sitting unsold on dealership lots so actual failure rate with vehicle use might be signifantly higher than a cursory look at the numbers would suggest.

I typically keep my vehicles for well over a decade so this is not a long term risk that I would personally take; especially when Alfa Romeo will take care of it for free.

Some mechanics may not feel up to the task but thankfully the one employed at the dealership where we purchased our car considered it a routine (although certainly time consuming) fix.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Unread Today, 08:16 AM
edf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthapa View Post
Anyone else have coolant issues? My Stelvio (Ti) only has 2,300 miles and it's coolant level is justa hair below the minimum already!

Reading these comments, I wonder if that is also a major issue??
In 12K miles I had to top mine off twice,once after 2K miles and again after 10k miles.Each time I had to add 16oz or so.

No leaks and no odor,so i don't know what the deal is.Service found no issues.