installation/activation of DUAL USB hub for AA/AppleCarplay - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By KGB
  • 1 Post By jwq2
  • 1 Post By jwq2

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
KGB

Garage
Thumbs up installation/activation of DUAL USB hub for AA/AppleCarplay

For those of you who want to install the dual USB hub needed for the activation of Android Auto/Apple Carplay

1. Check the software version of your ETM (aka the Nav system) to be at least 056 and up. 056 is update for older Nav systems up to 2018... usually the MY2018 start with 059. I have somewhere the 056 software so if someone needs it, send me a pm so I can upload it somewhere.

2. Install the new dual usb hub. EPER part number 0156143958 for the USA market it is a different number if I am not mistaken.

3. Well you have to dismantle your center tunnel (arm rest)...

4. Move both front seats at maximum front position

5. Seat in back seat and pull away carefully the plastic around the rear air vents.

6. Using your tools unscrew the 3 bolts that hold the arm rest on the top of the glove box. (see the pic)

7. Now unscrew the 4 bolts that hold the air tubes going to the rear air vents as you need to move them a little in order to get your hand in the tight place under the glove box. (see the pic)

8. Now with the arm rest removed you need to go to the front seat and pull the plastic cover around the center glove box on which you have also the parking brake button. So be careful not to pull like crazy and snap the cable for the P brake. Pull from the front near P brake button, as in the rear you will see that they are no clips...DO NOT pull from the back as you will brake the cover. You have to do it from the front and then remove the connection for the P brake and then carefully remove slide it from the back... Look at the back and you will see.

9. Now carefully disconnect the led light for the glove box...don't look for a bulb type, use a fine flat screw driver and remove it from the box.

10. Remove the air tube to the box

11. Get your special tool as you need to get it below the box in the center of the box. USE fine gloves to protect your hands as you might scratch them... First blood to your Stelvio can happen here and hopefully the only.

12. Undo the two "bolts" that are in the center of the bottom in the box...no the two middle ones as they hold the antenna for keyless go. (see few pics)

13. Take your time or use someone with smaller hands...it is very tight there...push down the rear air vent tubes to get more space.

14. Once you manage to remove the two screws...go have a drink and feel like a winner...you can skip that part :-)

15. Pull from the top...the box is now being hold by 4 clips...into the four corners...you will be able to see them...but careful with the plastic box.

16. Now you see the cables for the USB hub...disconnect them.

17. Change the single USB with the double one...check if it works for charging

18. Put everything back together

19. At this point you will be thinking of not putting the two screws under the box...BUT do them

20. When everything is put together you need to go to someone having the factory diagnostics called Witech. Basically you might need to go to the dealer (good to talk to them before as they might refuse to do the job for unknown reason). Hopefully soon MES or ALFAOBD will be able to active the AA/Carplay The time needed for the dealer is like 10mins.

21. So while at the dealer connect Witech go to ETM menu and in misc. tab there is a function called Android Auto/Carplay offline activation. Press it after about 10sec it will say complete.

22. Shut down the car and take away the key as the car needs to get into standby mode...the ETM needs to reboot.

23. Turn your Stelvio and connect your Android or Iphone...for Android you need to have Android Auto installed on your phone!!! Connected your phone via BT and also via GOOD USB cable. bad USB cable will prevent it from working...price of the cable has nothing to do with the quality. I bought 10 euro cable and it doesn't work... a 2 euro cable works perfectly. BEST is to use original cable.

24. You can check if Android Auto was activated without connecting it to a phone by going in the option menu in your ETM...press option and scroll down till you see Android Auto, it is the last one

25. Enjoy your Android Auto and Apple Carplay

26. Have a safe trip :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_135420.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	892.2 KB
ID:	14525   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_135425.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	610.6 KB
ID:	14527   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_135437.jpg
Size:	735.4 KB
ID:	14529   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_141721.jpg
Size:	771.3 KB
ID:	14531   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_142248.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	14533  

Name:	20190322_144121.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	791.9 KB
ID:	14535   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_152005.jpg
Size:	366.1 KB
ID:	14537   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_153411.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	565.6 KB
ID:	14539   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_154020.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	908.0 KB
ID:	14541   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_154145.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	712.7 KB
ID:	14543  

Flunx and Meggorock like this.

Stelvio 2.2 Q4, Alfa 147 QVD 300+hp , Alfa Crosswagon Q4 edizione Nero, Alfa 159 TI QVD, Alfa 159 2.4 QVD, Fiat 500 X rosso
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
KGB

Garage
And the "special" tool for the two screws that hold the box in the bottom center.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190322_160035.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	638.7 KB
ID:	14545   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190322_160057.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	683.1 KB
ID:	14547  

Stelvio 2.2 Q4, Alfa 147 QVD 300+hp , Alfa Crosswagon Q4 edizione Nero, Alfa 159 TI QVD, Alfa 159 2.4 QVD, Fiat 500 X rosso
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:04 AM Thread Starter
KGB

Garage
The new part number is 156147799 and unfortunately a new much higher price :-( for the double usb hub

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:41 AM

Wonderful process explained but a few questions

So, outside of having the software update, and the two USB hub in the center console, what else must be changed? For example, does the screen need to be updated? Does the head unit need to be updated too? I have an 18 model produced June 2017, it seems. I have Navigation and 8.8 screen. I have seen head units coming online on Ebay, but have no idea how to tell which one is a good replacement, assuming this was a feasible option at some point. So, if you change the USB hub, what else must be changed out? Thank you very much. Love learning DIY projects. Mark
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyerboy View Post
So, outside of having the software update, and the two USB hub in the center console, what else must be changed? For example, does the screen need to be updated? Does the head unit need to be updated too? I have an 18 model produced June 2017, it seems. I have Navigation and 8.8 screen. I have seen head units coming online on Ebay, but have no idea how to tell which one is a good replacement, assuming this was a feasible option at some point. So, if you change the USB hub, what else must be changed out? Thank you very much. Love learning DIY projects. Mark
It sounds like you are going to need a new head unit. The display and everything should be fine. I would doubt many of the Ebay ones coming up are the newer version capable of AA/CP.

BTW: Shouldn't you be billing some poor soul right now? I know I should be, but my car addiction is more important .
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyerboy View Post
So, outside of having the software update, and the two USB hub in the center console, what else must be changed? ....
As a starting point, you need to look at the current firmware version of your infotainment system (it's a menu item)
If it's numbered 001.xxx.xxx or 002.xxx.xxx (or 003.xxx.xxx), you have the "old" hardware that cannot run acp/aa, whatever you do.
MBW likes this.

My car : https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/g...vehicle_id=559

previous Alfa's : Alfa alfetta GTV, Alfasud QV, Spider 2.0 Veloce, 164 2.0, 147 GTA, Alfa giulia AWD 280 Hp
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 09:42 AM

Good morning, Before I am hot and heavy into the billable day, I will check the firmware, of course. If you would indulge me, by looking on Ebay, at the stelvio radio listings. You will see a couple variations. Some say High SDARS, some say low, and there is a unit built Summer 2018, so for educational purposes, if the head unit needs to be changed out, not the display, and then just the USB hub, would that do it? If so, you believe, which head unit production date or which is it, high SDARS or Low SDARS. I learned that SDARS is satellite digital audio radio system, if I recall. I currently have an 8.8 navigation system, with XM satellite. I love working on the cars. I have two alfas, one is an 88 Spider Quad with hardtop. The Stelvio is my new addition, when it is too hot to drive here in Central Florida with the top down. Love to learn from you folks, so thanks. Off to be productive. Mark
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:32 PM

Garage
In theory, yes, you could change out the infotainment unit for a version with the "new" hardware.... However, it would then need to be registered (made known) to the car for it to work, for which you would probably need the assistance of Alfa....

People have moved from the "old" hardware to the "new", in warranty cases regarding defective "old" hardware which can no longer be supplied/ordered for replacement, so it is possible.....
Alfa specify that the old infotainment units can no longer be ordered, and specifies replacement part numbers for the new units
MBW likes this.

My car : https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/g...vehicle_id=559

previous Alfa's : Alfa alfetta GTV, Alfasud QV, Spider 2.0 Veloce, 164 2.0, 147 GTA, Alfa giulia AWD 280 Hp

Last edited by jwq2; 05-31-2019 at 12:41 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page