Bought a new Stelvio today - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 02:58 AM Thread Starter

Bought a new Stelvio today

Hi, Stelvio owners!

We've been in the market for a crossover for a while to replace a Mazda CX-5 we've had for 5 years and getting bored of. Honestly, I had not considered the Stelvio at all as a possible replacement until yesterday when I watched an episode of Grand Touring that featured the Quadrfoglio. Hmm, while a 505 HP vehicle is not for me, the show definitely piqued my interest.

So today I visited an Alfa dealer just to take a look and get a test drive. Low and behold a short drive later followed by some number talk and I left my CX-5 behind and walked away with a 2019 Stelvio Sport AWD!

I didn't even know that there was a "Sport" model. Certainly the Alfa USA site doesn't make it obvious from the main Stelvio page but I finally found it after the fact. My car has a number of options but the package that I wasn't aware of that makes this car the Sport model is package 22J that includes AWD, 19" 5-hole wheels (so cool), paddle shifters and other niceties that almost make this a TI model. I stopped short of purchasing a TI as it was more than I was willing to go, price wise.

The rather large paddle shifters take some getting used to. After about 25 miles I finally stopped hitting them by accident and bruising my hand!

Apple CarPlay works like a charm but the interaction with it using the "old-school" dial interface took some getting used to. I would have preferred a touch screen but I'll get used to it.

It's really no comparison the Stelvio driving experience vs my CX-5. It just went from boring to fun, though I didn't try the latest turbo CX-5 engine nor do I want to now.

Anyways, I'm glad I pulled the trigger and happy to join this forum. I hope to learn a lot more about the vehicle from all you experienced owners. I've got some questions about the car that I'm sure have been answered multiple times so I'll make use of the forum's search capability before posting.

Pic of my white Stelvio with black/red interior is attached. I really dig that red interior!

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stelvio.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	14329  

-anson
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 04:32 AM

Love it, I have the same color combo, but with the 20 inch rims. Love the 5 hole rims .congrats
claffeeba likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Anson- Great post + welcome to the fam damily. Wishing you much enjoyment and look forward to your comments and escapades.

2018 Stelvio - Vulcano, Chocolate interior - 20" wheels + Yellow calipers / safety pkgs - Build: July 2017 - Godetevi la corsa!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks @Alfabreath and @Scalewoodman !

I had a bit of unexpected fun while shopping yesterday. I was given the requirement that our CX-5 replacement must be able to hold more than one set of golf clubs without having to fold a seat down. That eliminated some vehicle options right away. But on sight I was definitely worried the Stelvio couldn't do this and my salesperson wasn't 100% sure either. But he did suggest we make the short trip in my Stelvio to be, of course to a nearby golf course. So we hit the pro shop, briefly borrowed a golf bag, some clubs and a very large driver. And wouldn't you know it? A bag with all clubs in it can easily fit diagonally, two when stacked. Also, the widest point nearest the opening at the back can fit a golf bag with driver horizontally across. Looks can be deceiving! Suffice it to say I was glad we made that little side trip. If I had truly been in buying mode from the get to I would have brought golf clubs with me, but it worked out well anyways thanks to a quick thinking sales person (who is now also armed with this info).

-anson
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anson42 View Post
Thanks @Alfabreath and @Scalewoodman !

I had a bit of unexpected fun while shopping yesterday. I was given the requirement that our CX-5 replacement must be able to hold more than one set of golf clubs without having to fold a seat down. That eliminated some vehicle options right away. But on sight I was definitely worried the Stelvio couldn't do this and my salesperson wasn't 100% sure either. But he did suggest we make the short trip in my Stelvio to be, of course to a nearby golf course. So we hit the pro shop, briefly borrowed a golf bag, some clubs and a very large driver. And wouldn't you know it? A bag with all clubs in it can easily fit diagonally, two when stacked. Also, the widest point nearest the opening at the back can fit a golf bag with driver horizontally across. Looks can be deceiving! Suffice it to say I was glad we made that little side trip. If I had truly been in buying mode from the get to I would have brought golf clubs with me, but it worked out well anyways thanks to a quick thinking sales person (who is now also armed with this info).
You must have short clubs, I have to take my driver out of the bag. Also with the HK sub, theres no way one will fit horizontally for me.

Enjoy it!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, @ifly4fun ! My car doesn't have the HK premium sound so I have space where the subwoofer would go. The stock audio sounds better than the so-called "premium" sound on my 2015 CX-5 so it's all good, and I have extra space to boot
ALFAOFFROAD likes this.

-anson
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 08:36 PM

Congrats, Anson42. You've got a great looking Stelvio. I'm sure you'll enjoy the improvement over the CX-5.

I've never liked any of the cars made by Mazda. Their Miata seems like the ultimate DweebMobile.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, @AugurMan ! Im over Mazda but perhaps excepting that dweeb mobile. Ive driven a manual version and I have to say that car would be a great way to get back into a stick shift. But this is a Stelvio forum so Ill leave it at that

-anson
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 10:12 PM

"The rather large paddle shifters take some getting used to. After about 25 miles I finally stopped hitting them by accident and bruising my hand!"
once you get the hang of these I think you'll be fine without a stick, or at least better than OK about it. instant fun when you want it.
I've enjoyed most rotary mazdas, going back to the R100, too bad no rotaries still produced.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 10:46 AM

Garage
Welcome, Anson42.. Really is a nice Stelvio.. Good pic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by anson42 View Post
Hi, Stelvio owners!

We've been in the market for a crossover for a while to replace a Mazda CX-5 we've had for 5 years and getting bored of. Honestly, I had not considered the Stelvio at all as a possible replacement until yesterday when I watched an episode of Grand Touring that featured the Quadrfoglio. Hmm, while a 505 HP vehicle is not for me, the show definitely piqued my interest.

So today I visited an Alfa dealer just to take a look and get a test drive. Low and behold a short drive later followed by some number talk and I left my CX-5 behind and walked away with a 2019 Stelvio Sport AWD!

I didn't even know that there was a "Sport" model. Certainly the Alfa USA site doesn't make it obvious from the main Stelvio page but I finally found it after the fact. My car has a number of options but the package that I wasn't aware of that makes this car the Sport model is package 22J that includes AWD, 19" 5-hole wheels (so cool), paddle shifters and other niceties that almost make this a TI model. I stopped short of purchasing a TI as it was more than I was willing to go, price wise.

The rather large paddle shifters take some getting used to. After about 25 miles I finally stopped hitting them by accident and bruising my hand!

Apple CarPlay works like a charm but the interaction with it using the "old-school" dial interface took some getting used to. I would have preferred a touch screen but I'll get used to it.

It's really no comparison the Stelvio driving experience vs my CX-5. It just went from boring to fun, though I didn't try the latest turbo CX-5 engine nor do I want to now.

Anyways, I'm glad I pulled the trigger and happy to join this forum. I hope to learn a lot more about the vehicle from all you experienced owners. I've got some questions about the car that I'm sure have been answered multiple times so I'll make use of the forum's search capability before posting.

Pic of my white Stelvio with black/red interior is attached. I really dig that red interior!

Cheers!

Asystole doesn't hurt......

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page