New (to me) Stelvio Ti Sport - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By Scottlarson737

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

New (to me) Stelvio Ti Sport

Stelvio owner from Wisconsin here! I’ll be honest, I didn’t have any intention on owning a Stelvio. I totally expected I’d end up with a BMW X3. Or maybe a Mercedes GLC. In the search for my fun commuter car, I came across a YouTube comparison between the X3 and the Stelvio. I had to check it out! I did, and I now own one! I was shocked. I did not expect a 4-cyl SUV to perform so incredibly. Especially given the price difference from the BMW. I could literally get a Stelvio 4 years newer than a comparably priced BMW X3. Unbelievable. Anyways, I’m really looking forward to learning all about the Stelvio (mine is a black Ti Sport with red calipers and black interior). My major questions to start:
1). It seems like my sub speaker isn’t putting much bass out. Is there any way to turn up the sub individually?
2). How do I turn traction control off?
3.). Best tunes for the Stelvio 2.0 4-cyl

Thanks so much, and I look forward to meeting you all!
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:09 AM

1- never looked for just the sub, perhaps the crossover handles this as you adjust bass/fade
2- can't. the EuroCompulsion tune is supposed to raise the limits of intervention, or tires can make it happen so late that ... with the AWD (snow aside) even a quad where you can disable, it doesn't get tail happy like rwd.
3- a lot of reading on this in the giulia forum
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 10:06 AM

1. I'm assuming you got a new one or used with low miles. If you have the so called premium audio HK configuration, there's a pretty good break in period before you really hear what they sound like. Ensure you're on the latest infotainment version, my memory might be failing me but 056 is the latest if it's a MY18 and 78 if it's a MY19. You can bump up the base alone from the infotainment but not sure it's going to reach your expectations.
2. As stated, you can't. Closest thing is the EuroCompulsion tune that gives you a little bit more wiggle but not 100% off.
3. I'll give the short version here. You have two types, ECU tune, plug-in, and/or piggy back. ECU you only have EuroCompulsion as choice at the moment. On plug-in you have Madness and Novitec and piggy back you have JB4. I believe you can combine any of the tunes with the piggy back. There's pros/cons of each but it seems (opinion) most are on the EC tune. Giulia forums have ton of discussion on this topic because they were out way before the Stelvios.

Congrats and welcome to the forum!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate the feedback. Yes, it’s a 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport with 14k miles. Really hoping I made the right choice!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

P.S. I’m assuming an ECU tune would void my warranty whereas a piggyback will only void my warranty if I’m caught with it at the dealership? Can you confirm?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 01:27 PM

002.009.059 is latest update for MY2018s using 002.009.XXX software, just had it done this week. Haven't noticed any difference in the sound but supposed to address glitches like spontaneous reboot and crackling/popping sounds from speakers that may occur. Another update is expected end of this year/beginning next year.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottlarson737 View Post
P.S. Im assuming an ECU tune would void my warranty whereas a piggyback will only void my warranty if Im caught with it at the dealership? Can you confirm?
You can remove the ECU tune if your local dealer is not "tune friendly". It takes about 30 to 45min to install or remove the tune. The only gotcha is that after the tune is applied, you need to put some miles on the ODO before you really feel it. About 200 - 300 miles. no biggy if you ask me.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaidapos View Post
You can remove the ECU tune if your local dealer is not "tune friendly". It takes about 30 to 45min to install or remove the tune. The only gotcha is that after the tune is applied, you need to put some miles on the ODO before you really feel it. About 200 - 300 miles. no biggy if you ask me.
The big problem is the flash counter. The dealer may not be able to prove what you tuned, but thy do know you have messed with the ECU. Depending on the repair issueyou might be able to fight a refusal with Magnusson Moss, but it has to bve an expensive repair to cover the fees involved with fighting FCA.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 05:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottlarson737 View Post
P.S. Im assuming an ECU tune would void my warranty whereas a piggyback will only void my warranty if Im caught with it at the dealership? Can you confirm?
A good ECU tune is usually better than a piggyback.....If you take away the piggyback before you go to the dealer, they won't see it, however.....

If something MAJOR(expensive) happens to the engine/transmission and they really want to dig into the ECU memory, ALFA may notice some inconsistencies between certain engine parameters/boost values for the time when you had the piggyback installed....

In my other car I installed a RACECHIP piggyback, and it gave the car a noticeable power increase, basically it fools the ECU, the ECU will think that instead of lets say 12 psi of boost you are only getting 8 psi, and that way you will get more boost.....however .....I uninstalled it when some faults/CEL started appearing from time to time....and it was a pain to install it/uninstall it every time I went to the dealer.....
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:42 AM

Garage
Even turning my bass up it is not great. I have a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Limited Edition convertable for a second car and it has a factory premium sound system with an camp under the front passenger seat. This car puts the Alfa system to shame, it will make the doors thump and roars on the turnpike with the top down and without using full power.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page