Stelvio oil issue - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Stelvio oil issue

Hi There, just 7000 km, 6 months and have message "change oil".
Manual says 15000 km first service and oil change. Does Stelvio have oil quality sensor or it is just computer fault. Oil level is OK according to car screen display.
Any advice please.

Cheers Jedrek
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:44 AM

There is NO oil quality check. Most likely software or oil sensor issue. Do you have the latest software update?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

The oil change indicator turns "on" using several factors.

From miles driven to type of driving, average speed, number of stops, amount of idle vs steady cruising, altitude, air quality (the amount of air pollution affects how often the oil need to be changed), and more.

The Stelvio (and pretty much all cars) do not actually test oil quality - not only because viscosity breakdown is the worry more than dirt now and that isn't easy to test for - however the light isn't just a "dummy" light either.

It could be the algorithms are wrong or malfunctioning, or it could be the type of driving you do means the oil should be changed sooner. Either way good idea to get it looked at by the dealer.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

Same thing happened to me. The recommended oil change is 10k miles or 1 year. I only had the car about 7 months. The timer must start when it leaves the factory or something. Dealer just reset it and I went back in for an actual oil change when I hit 10k.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM

I don't know if I would just trust resetting because the oil light decided it was time, but you had not hit the threshold yet. Usually when people do actually test oil, depending on additives and formula, there is usually some miles left at the recommended interval. I wouldn't take that chace though. An oil change is cheap compared to major repairs.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetness34 View Post
Same thing happened to me. The recommended oil change is 10k miles or 1 year. I only had the car about 7 months. The timer must start when it leaves the factory or something. Dealer just reset it and I went back in for an actual oil change when I hit 10k.
Same here.

Dealer reset it when they did the recall a few months ago. Finally hit 10K last week.
sweetness34 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrrhusmj View Post
I don't know if I would just trust resetting because the oil light decided it was time, but you had not hit the threshold yet. Usually when people do actually test oil, depending on additives and formula, there is usually some miles left at the recommended interval. I wouldn't take that chace though. An oil change is cheap compared to major repairs.
I had like 5,000 miles on the car. This same thing has actually happened with numerous people. The light goes off due to the 1yr time frame but unfortunately that timer starts way before anyone actually drives the car so it's unnecessary to change it so early. This has been confirmed not only on this board but also with the services techs at the dealer.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:28 PM

There are a lot of variables that go into when a car needs an oil change.

Generally, unless it is NOT a "free" oil change, the only thing the dealer looks at is if they "have to do it" (picture a 10 year old being told to do homework), or if it can be put off. If it is under 10k, they will put it off if you let them. Amazing how if you offer to pay they will jump at the job though.

Does that mean it should be put off?

Don't really know.

In my opinion, for lots of reasons no one actually wants to read so I'm going to not spend time writing, an oil change should never be put off. The suggestion isn't 10k miles, it is 1 year, or 10k miles.

The year starts when the oil is put in the engine, not when you buy the car.

Experts and labs says lots of things about minimums and life left and stuff with things on top for smartness. Then when something breaks they talk about statistics for expected failures and it being within the norms.

The mechanics who have scarred forearms from fixing stuff all agree, avoiding the break, regardless of "norms" is best..never put off an oil change if you want a long life out of your engine. Never, and 10k or a year is a little long. I did my own at 5, then the dealer at 10. About to turn 15k, going to change it again. Oil cannot be too clean, the cleaner it is the better your engine will run, period, no exceptions to this rule. Dirty is the same, dirty oil is bad, period.

How dirty? Don't care, doesn't matter.

How old? 1 year. just because it was sitting doesn't mean the factors that cause viscosity breakdown weren't happening. In many cases they are worse, engines and the oil inside them are highly engineered for long life under use, not long life while sitting.

Think about it this way.

Super smart people have Orange County, Ca convinced "toilet to tap" is a good idea (yes, they filter defecation out of sewage and put it back in service as tap water), because they ran taste tests and people liked the taste of the filtered poop water more than straight tap. Plus those super smart people are super positive the filtration tech is perfect and there can't be a health crisis from this. Thing is, they figured out even if it gets all bacteria (I doubt it, we'll discover a new strain it doesn't get eventually) it doesn't get drugs. So all the prescription and other medicines people take that get moved out of their system...that stays in the water. All the drugs flushed during police raids...stays in the water.... You may disagree, but personally I run everything smart people tell me through a "common sense" filter.

Common sense says don't drink water that has been pooped in, and change your engine oil often, both for a long trouble-free life.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM

Oil Change interval

How aggressive is your driving Jedrek and do you idle alot or make short trips that might not allow the oil to heat up enough to boil off the gasoline from it?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAOFFROAD View Post
The year starts when the oil is put in the engine, not when you buy the car.

How old? 1 year. just because it was sitting doesn't mean the factors that cause viscosity breakdown weren't happening. In many cases they are worse, engines and the oil inside them are highly engineered for long life under use, not long life while sitting.
The main factor in viscosity breakdown is thermal but if the vehicle is non-operating (sitting on the dock/boat, etc) for it's first 5 months then that isn't happening. How would it be worse from sitting in a brand new engine versus normal use? Normal use is what introduces the breakdown.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport