Oil change required light is on - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Oil change required light is on

My 2018 Stelvio has 3500 miles on it and the oil change required light came on I took it to the Alfa ROMEO dealership , I was told the manufacture date is conflicting with the amount of mileage meaning my car was manufactured are year ago and thinks It needs to be changed I really don’t know what to do because they tell me they cannot reset the light can anyone advise me on what to do
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 08:53 PM

Garage
What reason does the dealer give that the light cannot be reset? Surely they're physically able to do it.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport / silverstone gray / safety sensors / 20" wheels w/red calipers / HK / dual roof
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Wideman View Post
My 2018 Stelvio has 3500 miles on it and the oil change required light came on I took it to the Alfa ROMEO dealership , I was told the manufacture date is conflicting with the amount of mileage meaning my car was manufactured are year ago and thinks It needs to be changed I really don’t know what to do because they tell me they cannot reset the light can anyone advise me on what to do
contact AR customer service and tell them the dealer doesn't know how to fix the most simple thing on the car they sold me!

The lack of training at these places is just amazing.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:06 AM

Wait, wait....

so your car was manufactured a year ago and has been sitting on the lot being driven VERY rarely since then till you bought it, or you have had it for a period of time and just don't drive a whole lot...either way,

The date is not conflicting with the mileage. Both things count, it is an "or" situation, ie: mileage over a certain limit (about 10k) OR over a certain time period (a year).

If the oil has been in your engine for a year it needs to be changed according to Alfa Romeo.

Your dealer just doesn't want to do it for some reason (did you purchase it recently maybe?).

Find another dealer.

Although on a side note them not wanting to reset the light without actually changing the oil is good on them. They should have told you they will change the oil and reset the light though...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:54 AM

when they reset the it also resets the clock so it will not be accurate for when next service due. At least that the way mine was. Took it in a couple months early BEFORE the light triggered, they did the service reset and calendar for next service changed to 364 days or such (it's a countdown clock)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaStelvio View Post
What reason does the dealer give that the light cannot be reset? Surely they're physically able to do it.

Chris

Alfa Rosso Ti Sport
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 09:56 AM

first oil change is free tho, why would the dealer care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAOFFROAD View Post
Wait, wait....

so your car was manufactured a year ago and has been sitting on the lot being driven VERY rarely since then till you bought it, or you have had it for a period of time and just don't drive a whole lot...either way,

The date is not conflicting with the mileage. Both things count, it is an "or" situation, ie: mileage over a certain limit (about 10k) OR over a certain time period (a year).

If the oil has been in your engine for a year it needs to be changed according to Alfa Romeo.

Your dealer just doesn't want to do it for some reason (did you purchase it recently maybe?).

Find another dealer.

Although on a side note them not wanting to reset the light without actually changing the oil is good on them. They should have told you they will change the oil and reset the light though...
ALFAOFFROAD likes this.

Chris

Alfa Rosso Ti Sport
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 11:54 AM

Garage
Depends where you are. The first oil change isn't free in the UK....
zvezdah1 likes this.

2018 Stelvio Milano Edition
2008 Spider Limited Edition
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 12:35 PM

Yep, not free here in the UK
My oil change light just came on last Thursday at 6500 miles. Supposedly down to lots of shorter journeys rather than long motorway ones. Hope this doesnt continue next year because my driving habits ain’t going to change dramatically. Booked in for service this week but it’s a bit earlier than I thought I would’ve be honest 🤔
zvezdah1 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 02:44 PM

Nothing is free.

On another thread it was established that Alfa reimburses the dealer $80 for performing the first oil change here in the US. That will probably barely cover the cost to the dealer and is quite a bit less than what they would charge you for the same service.

As such the dealer is going to consider this 1st service as a loss, generally most business try to put off "losses" for as long as possible. IMO this dealer would rather put off doing the first service to have time for "paying" jobs.

Probably wrong, definitely making some assumptions....but that's why I said that.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-04-2018, 10:21 PM

Interesting that you had this problem. Mine had about 4500 miles on it, and the oil change light came on. When I checked the oil status, the level was fine. When I checked the page with the info, it said "Due in 6500 miles or 200 days". I'm guessing at the 200 but it was more than 6 months out. So it wasn't a manufacture date issue. The car was literally telling me when I was due and it wasn't close in mileage or days.

Took it in for that and a recall, and they reset it and turned it off. Said they couldn't tell me why it came on... It's off now though, and everything on the "Oil change due in" still shows the same mileage and days (well, less days now).

Sean

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page