Issues with Stelvio 2018 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 20Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Exclamation Issues with Stelvio 2018

New Stelvio Owner here, 2018 Base model. Built in Sept 2017 I assume.

I have around 200 miles on the car and the car has thrown all kinds of issues in the past 4 days:

- Day1: we drove the car (started all well, no issues) for around 10 miles parked the car in a lot. Came back say 30 mins later - left turn signal failure, brake light failure. Hopped out, everything is fine dash signal indicator going fast. Resolved next day on its own
- Day3 - Started the car, service engine light/message came on disabling Auto Start / Stop
- Day3 - tried restarting multiple time, relocking the hood. No use
- Day4 - The issue is still there. Start the car to idle for around 30 - 40 mins. No improvement turned it off
- Day4 - Scheduled apt with Service. Turned it on to start my drive to the dealership. All is well. I still head to them to check. Just after start the tailgate didnt close auto so I had to manually push it and the power windows acted funny to be operated from the driver door console

Major issue which came up while driving - Climate Control failed. The dash displayed 20 F when it was 70 outside. Crazy ride.

The issue remained (thank god) when I reached the dealership. They are fixing the temp sensors.

I read the forum thoroughly in these five days especially the last few days to know all the errors which flash of no good reason are because of the battery but I don’t know about the climate control.

The dealership while taking in the car updated me that the battery is good.

So I got some questions here:

- how do I know if the battery is faulty?
- have owned multiple cars but never has a car battery died with my usage. I would either drive for hours a day or the car may sit (I do start the car everyday) for 2 - 3 days. What does it want?
- can a faulty climate control sensor drain the battery?

Thanks a lot. Good forum here lot of knowledge sharing.
ARStelvio is offline  
post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:54 AM
Senior Member
 
Pgiulekas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 169
Garage
Sounds like a lemon

Paul G Long island
Pgiulekas is offline  
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:15 PM
Senior Member
 
Banffstelvio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Banff, Alberta Canada
Posts: 235
That start/ stop and if it throws the check engine and service engine is all a simple software update that the tech will do to keep it to the newest update. It can also lock into A mode. Simple update nothing to worry about

Batteries and dealerships/ shops can be a nightmare. They "test" it with their machine and unless it comes back with a damaged cell and it has a charge witch it will after being driven you can kinda be in a battle unless the service manager really wants to swap it out for you.

Many cars these days are very sensitive and temperamental and it can have a few quirks that hopefully your tech can sort out and resolve and not have them come back.

I just was in a rental Lincoln last week and it had 2000 Km on it and the one electric door would not open from the inside, the check engine light was on and it often was beeping for a reason I could not figure out. Retnal guy said they have to send them all back for recalls and repairs
Banffstelvio is online now  
post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:23 PM
Senior Member
 
ViscontiVerde 164L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,135
Garage
Sounds like the dealership didn't do the recall for the rear hatch seal in a timely matter. Have them pull that area in the back of vehicle and I bet you have evidence of water intrusion. That laundry list of failures is typical on vehicles that got electricals damaged by water.

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio TiSport EC Phase 2 w/V2 intake, Remus Catback ~390HP / 442ft-lb Tq Visconti Verde, Chocolate Interior, Quadrofoglio wheels w/PZ4's
2016 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Custom blue tone, Grigio chrono leather w/full interior MC Carbon Fiber trim, NA 4.7L Ferrari V8, stock...for now
2016 Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0SC tuned by ETG 456HP/414Tq, Montalcino Red, Ivory
2012 Maxda MX5 Miata GTPRHT True Red, Black
2011 Lotus Evora S Persian Blue,Black Suedetex (Track specialist)
ViscontiVerde 164L* is online now  
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgiulekas View Post
Sounds like a lemon
Thanks for your response. Although I haven't faced a lemon car as of date but probably a car would be declared one if the issues don't stop occurring or aren't resolved timely correct?

This is the first visit to the dealer for a complaint, waiting for the outcome. As all do I would prefer driving a car rather than keeping it in the service center. Hope things get better.
ARStelvio is offline  
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banffstelvio View Post
That start/ stop and if it throws the check engine and service engine is all a simple software update that the tech will do to keep it to the newest update. It can also lock into A mode. Simple update nothing to worry about

Batteries and dealerships/ shops can be a nightmare. They "test" it with their machine and unless it comes back with a damaged cell and it has a charge witch it will after being driven you can kinda be in a battle unless the service manager really wants to swap it out for you.

Many cars these days are very sensitive and temperamental and it can have a few quirks that hopefully your tech can sort out and resolve and not have them come back.

I just was in a rental Lincoln last week and it had 2000 Km on it and the one electric door would not open from the inside, the check engine light was on and it often was beeping for a reason I could not figure out. Retnal guy said they have to send them all back for recalls and repairs

Thanks for your response. Post handing the car to the SA I sent him a mail (had alerted him that I would send one) listing all the things I would want him to get checked on the car. Over the phone itself I had asked him to check for the software version etc. if that is updated looking at the VIN. He said yes to that but nonetheless I still asked to check for the latest software in the email I sent.

He kept on saying that it is the battery. It needs to be charged. Now, I don't drive much that means a car would throw such issues. Have owned multiple cars in the past and same driving patterns no issues at all with the battery.

A day has passed at the service center no updates. Keeping fingers crossed for a sensible fix.
ARStelvio is offline  
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViscontiVerde 164L* View Post
Sounds like the dealership didn't do the recall for the rear hatch seal in a timely matter. Have them pull that area in the back of vehicle and I bet you have evidence of water intrusion. That laundry list of failures is typical on vehicles that got electricals damaged by water.

Thanks for your response. Before buying the car I had checked on the MOPAR recall website and saw that all the recalls were completed. Should I have checked something more?
ARStelvio is offline  
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Banffstelvio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Banff, Alberta Canada
Posts: 235
there has been issues with some of the batteries. Maybe to start they may trickle charge it up and get a nice slow charge into it to bring it up and then drive it often for at least 30 minutes to get it fully charged. If some of it comes up hopefully they will replace the battery

I have a 2018 model with a Sept 17 build and other than me draining the battery dead detailing the car and open/ close the tailgate to kill it dead it has been fine. After I drained it it threw all sorts of lights and such and I drove it a hour and it all went away and been ok since. It has been -30C here all week and I was away last week and left it in the cold and it started fine

If you have a good dealer and trained tech you will be just fine. I had way more problems with my last Yukon with its battery
Angel Rain likes this.
Banffstelvio is online now  
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
ViscontiVerde 164L*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 1,135
Garage
Surprising how quick some things can kill the batteries. They have the CCA's needed to start, but the reserve is lousy!! This spring I intend to look into a lightweight Lithium replacement. Would love to get the weight under 4000lbs!! I bet the new exhuast is at least 5-7 lbs lighter already and its very common for Li batteries to be 30lbs lighter. Pulling the spare would do it!

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio TiSport EC Phase 2 w/V2 intake, Remus Catback ~390HP / 442ft-lb Tq Visconti Verde, Chocolate Interior, Quadrofoglio wheels w/PZ4's
2016 Maserati GranTurismo Sport Custom blue tone, Grigio chrono leather w/full interior MC Carbon Fiber trim, NA 4.7L Ferrari V8, stock...for now
2016 Range Rover Sport HSE 3.0SC tuned by ETG 456HP/414Tq, Montalcino Red, Ivory
2012 Maxda MX5 Miata GTPRHT True Red, Black
2011 Lotus Evora S Persian Blue,Black Suedetex (Track specialist)
ViscontiVerde 164L* is online now  
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banffstelvio View Post
there has been issues with some of the batteries. Maybe to start they may trickle charge it up and get a nice slow charge into it to bring it up and then drive it often for at least 30 minutes to get it fully charged. If some of it comes up hopefully they will replace the battery

I have a 2018 model with a Sept 17 build and other than me draining the battery dead detailing the car and open/ close the tailgate to kill it dead it has been fine. After I drained it it threw all sorts of lights and such and I drove it a hour and it all went away and been ok since. It has been -30C here all week and I was away last week and left it in the cold and it started fine

If you have a good dealer and trained tech you will be just fine. I had way more problems with my last Yukon with its battery
Thanks for your response. I drive very less each day but need to own a car because you do need a car home but really disappointed to learn that I would have to drive every day to keep these battery issues from occurring. I never imagined this can be an issue with a car. How many miles a day do you recommend to drive? The dealer recommended 50 - 60 average every day. I mean where should I go

I hope the dealer has some trained techs.
ARStelvio is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport ....Portland, Maine USA Mainestelvio Alfa Romeo Stelvio Owners Registry And Check In Area 4 04-05-2018 08:24 AM
Stelvio at 2018 Geneva Auto Show kidney Alfa Romeo Stelvio General Discussion Forum 3 03-04-2018 03:42 AM
What To Like About The Stelvio Stelvio_Admin 2017+ Alfa Romeo Stelvio News 0 01-09-2018 11:44 AM
Overview of the All-New Stelvio Stelvio_Admin 2017+ Alfa Romeo Stelvio News 1 11-14-2017 02:30 PM
Alfa Romeo Stelvio Performance Overview Stelvio_Admin 2017+ Alfa Romeo Stelvio News 4 07-13-2017 11:40 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome