Cleaning and Detailing Hints and Suggestions - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Cleaning and Detailing Hints and Suggestions

Can't tell you how good it felt Saturday to have a nice spring day post surgery the first chance to detail Stella in the driveway (interior, wheels, tires, yellow calipers, windows, vacuumed and jambs wiped) and a Grade B on my wife's A4! It occurred to me that a helpful thread for those of us who do driveway therapy would be to share some detailing hits- as we have about cleaning the chrome exhaust tubes.

Last year my wife came home with one of those "As Seen on TV" stainless steel hoses: https://www.boscovs.com/shop/prod/as...882.htm?w=hose

Despite my initial skepticism, I have to tell you I LOVE the thing. It is super easy to coil no matter how cold the water is. It slides nicely around the driveway. It doesn't get caught under the tire when you move to the other side. It's easy to see. Doesn't tangle or pinch.

Despite being a trip hazard and an electrocution hazard (well, you can't have it all), HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

2018 Stelvio - Vulcano, Chocolate interior - 20" wheels + Yellow calipers / safety pkgs - Build: July 2017 - Godetevi la corsa!
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:34 AM

I always love sharing detailing tips and tricks. The last few years I've really become attached to Chemical Guys Waterless Car Wash. It's not great if your car if very dirty but it's nice to get all the dust off if you have a run of nice weather and just want to touch up the car. I keep a pressurized sprayer full in my garage with a stack of microfibers. The entire process is very quick.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 11:57 AM

Garage
For me.. the rims... eheheheheh
always with Poorboy wheel sealant.
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

While we're at it: This brush is great the insides of the open wheel rims clean and this also reaches the calipers too without knuckle bashing.
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B071VRJRKK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_bM4OCbGMDGKNK

*Please use Smile and credit the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation Headquarters

2018 Stelvio - Vulcano, Chocolate interior - 20" wheels + Yellow calipers / safety pkgs - Build: July 2017 - Godetevi la corsa!
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:18 PM

Garage
What's the best wheel cleaner for the Alfa Romeos??

Asystole doesn't hurt......
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

And just to put everything under one thread, for chrome exhaust tubes: https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=stoner+...nb_sb_ss_i_7_6 with a nylon pot scrubber.

I am actively looking for something similar but stronger. It takes a little effort even so with Invisible Glass.

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima Alfa View Post
What's the best wheel cleaner for the Alfa Romeos??

Doesn't seem to be too much brake dust from the Brembos (unlike the A4) so I work from the top down and last phase is add some Dawn to the wash water for the wheels, wheel wells, and sill guard. I have a couple of sprays but try not to use them as they are corrosive. So far - with the 20" option - Dawn seems to work best for me.
Prima Alfa likes this.

post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:51 PM

Excellent info.

on the SST hose, does it get HOT in the sun? I mean HOT to the touch?
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Excellent info.

on the SST hose, does it get HOT in the sun? I mean HOT to the touch?

Marco: No it stays cool. Maybe because the SS is reflective. That said, I usually put it away when I'm finished and don't wash in the sun. It doesn't seem to absorb the heat like rubber or latex hoses.

post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalewoodman View Post
Marco: No it stays cool. Maybe because the SS is reflective. That said, I usually put it away when I'm finished and don't wash in the sun. It doesn't seem to absorb the heat like rubber or latex hoses.
It looks like a good product.

Right. I don't wash in the sun but when the hose is on the reel at my house, and not being used its exposed to the sun for long periods. I was wondering if it gets hot in those circumstances.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page