Is it normal to hate your car after 24 hours? - Page 8 - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 154Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Fortunately it seems the vast majority are loving their vehicles.
Partsguy20 likes this.

2018 Stelvio - Vulcano, Chocolate interior - 20" wheels + Yellow calipers / safety pkgs - Build: July 2017 - Godetevi la corsa!
post #72 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 11:21 AM

@jwq2 Regarding the update .zip file, I've heard from some people that the vehicle will request a code of some sort before doing the update, which only the dealer can provide. Is that true? I'm considering trying it myself... my dealer is an hour and a half away and I can't take time during the week to bring the car there, and I really don't want to spend time on a Saturday to make the trip since there isn't a whole lot else to do in that area... it's awfully tempting, but I also don't want to ruin it since it's not really broken at the moment either. (The only problem I'm really looking to fix is the popping from the left front speaker when connected via USB... really only an annoyance).
post #73 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partsguy20 View Post
@jwq2 Regarding the update .zip file, I've heard from some people that the vehicle will request a code of some sort before doing the update, which only the dealer can provide. Is that true? I'm considering trying it myself... my dealer is an hour and a half away and I can't take time during the week to bring the car there, and I really don't want to spend time on a Saturday to make the trip since there isn't a whole lot else to do in that area... it's awfully tempting, but I also don't want to ruin it since it's not really broken at the moment either. (The only problem I'm really looking to fix is the popping from the left front speaker when connected via USB... really only an annoyance).
No, there is no code, it's very straightforward, as said. It's a simple menu item on the infotainment, and only takes 15 minutes.
You need the correct firmware of course, the link I gave is for 002.009.055, which is for the "old" hardware. I assume you've checked what you have now.
Lots of people, including myself, have done (numerous) update(s) without any problems, but it's up to you of course
Partsguy20 likes this.

My car : https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/g...vehicle_id=559

previous Alfa's : Alfa alfetta GTV, Alfasud QV, Spider 2.0 Veloce, 164 2.0, 147 GTA, Alfa giulia AWD 280 Hp
post #74 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
If you have the old hardware, I can confirm the newest software that was released is .059 and that does take care of the popping sound in the speaker. I just had this updated done from .043 over this past weekend.
Partsguy20 likes this.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #75 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Garage
Reading through the specific threads on the mostly dislikes of the Alfa Infotainment System seems to be an individualized perspective on how the system should perform. If you came from a previous car that you believe had a better system then you're disappointed with screen size, voice commands, no touchscreen etc.
I joined the forum in November while my wife's car was on order. There were plenty of posts/threads on this same issue and since we both had cars with no infotainment systems we weren't too concerned I guess because we didn't know any better and didn't focus on this part of the car on our initial test drive.
We've had her car for about a month now and have learned the system. In spite of all the negative forum issues/comments we think the system is a blast and works great. It has taken us a month to really uncover all the features and while it may seem antiquated to some it's a modern miracle to us. We would both rather have the rotary dial than a touchscreen and we have had no trouble with the limited voice commands we've tried so far.
Suggest to anyone that is disappointed with the system early on give it a chance and it might grow on you. We all get set in our ways and sometimes difficult to accept change.
I won't get in to the part about how great the car drives and handles even though I just did.

Wife's Car -- '19 TI Lusso, Stromboli Gray, Red/Black/5 Hole Wheels, Compact Spare Tire, Most all Bells and Whistles

Last edited by clifftops; 04-11-2019 at 03:53 PM.
post #76 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifftops View Post
... In spite of all the negative forum issues/comments we think the system is a blast and works great. ... We would both rather have the rotary dial than a touchscreen and we have had no trouble with the limited voice commands we've tried so far.
Same here. My wife's 2019 car has a touchscreen. I prefer the Alpha's clean and elegant design. Hey, if I need a touch screen, I just drive her car...Everybody has different mindsets.

TI Lusso 22X-Trofeo tri-coat white/Cannelloni crema leather/dash leather/Assist Pckgs/HK Snd/8.8" 3D Nav/20" wheels/ACP. Arte e prestazione Italiane
post #77 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Super Moderator

Agree: I came from U-Connect and the AR system is way easier and safer going down the road vs. bobbing along trying to touch a screen. We specifically hated this aspect of the X60. My opinion is it is elegant and clean with just the right knobs and functions once you get used to it.

That said, I am sensitive to the tech-oriented who are into latest tech. And you can be sure it is being revised as a continuous improvement issue. But all of this is known and addressed ad nauseum so how you would commit to a contract and then carp incessantly about it - peeing in the punch bowl - is a little amazing to me.

Thank God I am in B2B not end consumer sales!

It is what it is.
simplyFast likes this.

2018 Stelvio - Vulcano, Chocolate interior - 20" wheels + Yellow calipers / safety pkgs - Build: July 2017 - Godetevi la corsa!

Last edited by Scalewoodman; 04-11-2019 at 06:08 PM.
post #78 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scalewoodman View Post
Agree: I came from U-Connect and the AR system is way easier and safer going down the road vs. bobbing along trying to touch a screen. We specifically hated this aspect of the X60. My opinion is it is elegant and clean with just the right knobs and functions once you get used to it.

That said, I am sensitive to the tech-oriented who are into latest tech. And you can be sure it is being revised as a continuous improvement issue. But all of this is known and addressed ad nauseum so how you would commit to a contract and then carp incessantly about it - peeing in the punch bowl - is a little amazing to me.

Thank God I am in B2B not end consumer sales!

It is what it is.
I'm jealous
I work in the retail industry. Customers are getting more impossible and demanding to deal with. They want everything for nothing. Thankfully I'm retiring soon. I can't stand the public anymore. So sad to say. When I get too agravated, I can take my Stelvio for a ride to blow off some steam.
post #79 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 08:30 AM

@jwq2 Thanks again for the info. I definitely have the 'old' hardware (August '17 build) and my current firmware version is 002.009.043... I think I'm going to try it this weekend.

If the popping doesn't go away I'll have to have the dealer update it to .059 like @sweetness34 did... or just wait until someone posts a link to that one as well! haha
post #80 of 93 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
@jwq2 Thanks again for the info. I definitely have the 'old' hardware (August '17 build) and my current firmware version is 002.009.043... I think I'm going to try it this weekend.

If the popping doesn't go away I'll have to have the dealer update it to .059 like @sweetness34 did... or just wait until someone posts a link to that one as well! haha
functionally the .55 is the same as the .59
The .59 was introduced to (hopefully?) solve the spontaneous reboots some people were having, probably due to satellite radio.

As said, the update is very simple and only takes approx 15 minutes. During the update the system will reboot once or twice, don't worry, this is normal
Partsguy20 likes this.

My car : https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/g...vehicle_id=559

previous Alfa's : Alfa alfetta GTV, Alfasud QV, Spider 2.0 Veloce, 164 2.0, 147 GTA, Alfa giulia AWD 280 Hp

Last edited by jwq2; 04-12-2019 at 10:38 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page