Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

Is it normal to hate your car after 24 hours?

29K views 92 replies 30 participants last post by  WoodstockDude 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I'm a brand-new user and a new owner of a 2018 Stelvio that I picked up yesterday afternoon. This car is a blast to drive - amazing acceleration and handling!

However, I kept banging my fist against the steering wheel on a long drive on the Thruway today. The infotainment is absolutely atrocious. I do a lot of driving (around 18k per year) and for me, my car is a rolling office. I bought a loaded Ti Sport with all the technology so that I could just enjoy the drive. So when I tried using the voice commands, it was an utter disaster.

Every time I tried to get the system to switch to a Sirius channel, it failed. Yes, I read the manual on voice commands. Yes, I tried every which way to make it happen. Sometimes if I told it to switch to channel 114 for example, it would take me to AM 1140. Or, it would just say, "switching to satellite radio" and nothing would happen, since I was already on a satellite channel.

Then I tried making a call. It either didn't recognize my wife's name (in the phone book two different ways, including ICE) or it called someone completely different, and not even a close name match. This happened multiple times, over and over again.

So far, the dealer has been unhelpful, and Alfa Customer Service should really change their name, because it's not customer service. They couldn't connect me to anyone who could help.

Radio favorites - only 7? Really? In 2019, how do you not have the ability to make that 20? Or even 10?

The dealer told me that they updated all of the firmware. Currently I show:

MV-002.009.043
TV-002.009.043

Are these the most current versions?

So yes, I did a test drive - 4 of them, in fact. It's not until you actually use something complicated like the infotainment system in a car that you really understand its limitations. A $55,000 car should be competent in its interfaces, in addition to being a great drive...which is why I bought this car. But I feel like the inability to use these systems easily is not only frustrating, but dangerous as well. I shouldn't be trying to fix stuff while I'm driving, and I shouldn't be driving angry, which is where I see myself being for 3 years.

If anyone is interested in doing a lease swap on a 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport, Trofeo White with red interior with 200 miles, please raise your hand.

See less See more
#36 ·
I do want to add one thing, though. I used to be a reporter many years ago, including as a car writer. I have driven many cars on track and have ice rallied in the winter. The Alfa Stelvio QV is one of the most exciting vehicles I have ever driven for the price, and the best crossover, period. But the people on this forum who constantly slam the press, or anyone who criticizes Alfas, are digging Alfa's grave in the United States. A 2019 vehicle should have modern electronics, and quality construction, regardless of the car's nature or underpinnings. These cars cannot be for the few thousand who believe beauty, driving enthusiasm, exclusivity and brilliant dynamics should be at the exclusion of reliability and contemporary electronics. Again, Alfa is committed to the US market, but March's sales statistics, even in a down market, are unsustainable and it is necessary to understand why.

#38 ·
But the people on this forum who constantly slam the press, or anyone who criticizes Alfas, are digging Alfa's grave in the United States. A 2019 vehicle should have modern electronics, and quality construction, regardless of the car's nature or underpinnings. These cars cannot be for the few thousand who believe beauty, driving enthusiasm, exclusivity and brilliant dynamics should be at the exclusion of reliability and contemporary electronics.
This! Exactly this! This is what I've tried to say on numerous occasions but always get slammed for it.

#44 ·
First post here... Been reading just getting an idea how others like their Stelvios. Test drove one last year but haven't had time to pursue one further.

But this thread describes exactly how I feel towards the infotainment/nav system currently in use in Alfas. Magneti I think? This thread illustrates the issues people have had with that system. Freezing, not recognizing commands, poor interface dial vs. touch input etc... Why go with uConnect in Maserati and not in Alfa?

It's my understanding the guy in charge of it was a former Audi or Mercedes guy who preferred the dial method used in those cars over touch uConnect.

Having a short test drive in the Stelvio sport. I can't say how I would like the Magneti system. It wasn't long enough to get an idea. However my current daily 2015 Chrysler 200C AWD. The uConnect is what I prefer. The Stelvio Magneti did feel cheap in that having to use a dial is last century. I feel it would have taken longer to get to what I needed. Maybe with use I would like it.

UConnect is considered one of the best by the Auto magazines. Maserati uses it. Why does it make it "cheap" if used in an Alfa?

Anyways... I'm off the belief that is secondary to the actual driving experience. From what I've read and my short test drive. Alfa has a superior driving experience, even in the lower 2.0T model.

I believe where people are having a poor experience is with the infotainment Alfa has decided to use. I don't even use the voice commands and other things. Sure I've tried it in my 200 uConnect. My wife has had two uConnect vehicles. 15 and now 18 Durango. The 18 is by far the best. But she uses Android auto more I don't drive much. But when I do I'm more in tune with the car. Radio off, phone not connected...I listen to the motor!

I don't care about all the other technology stuff with the infotainment. This may be why I'm hesitant to really go look at the Stelvio again. Being used to uConnect makes it difficult to want to change even though it is an FCA product.

#46 ·
As the guy who started this topic, after another 24 hours with this car, all I can say is WOW. WOW WOW WOW.

An incredible drive, I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and drive it some more. Don't let the infotainment stuff drag you down. Even without the Quadrafoglia engine, this thing is freakin' awesome.

#51 · (Edited)
After only 200 miles, huh? Seems a bit over the top, but if you don’t value driving dynamics more than tech doodads, then you certainly chose the wrong vehicle? Out of curiosity, what are you coming out of? Personally, I’d drive a few thousand miles, instead of over-reacting quite so quickly, but if you are having post purchase anxiety, then spare everybody else the drama, and just find what you really like...hopefully, as soon as possible.

#55 ·
wow, harvest, your first two statements are fair enough - your third? maybe YOU " have no business talking to anyone on this forum that way. YOU spare everybody the drama and stop whining."

mc's points are valid and worthwhile for anyone considering any vehicle, or suddenly feeling bad about a new purchase.

#56 · (Edited)
wow, harvest, your first two statements are fair enough - your third? maybe YOU " have no business talking to anyone on this forum that way. YOU spare everybody the drama and stop whining."

mc's points are valid and worthwhile for anyone considering any vehicle, or suddenly feeling bad about a new purchase.
@lost1750GTV : Oh, I knew I would get blowback for my remarks, but I don't think "[T]hen spare everybody else the drama, and just find what you really like...hopefully as soon as possible" is a cool way to greet a newcomer, especially one who less than a day later is thrilled about his Alfa. What kind of worthwhile point is it to advise someone who just bought a $55,000 car to get rid of it and find something he really likes? How does that work financially?

#60 ·
Welcome WoodstockDude and congrats on your Stelvio. I'm glad your opinion on it has come around!

I, too, have an early-build 2018 model (mine is August '17) so mine will never have Car Play or Android Auto either. It's a little frustrating, but I've found that I don't even listen to music as much as I used to because I love hearing the engine purr through the gears. I've had mine for about six months now and I still haven't signed up for SiriusXM... whatever music I do listen to is through an iPod in the center console.

I hope you continue finding things you enjoy about your new car. And I'm a little jealous that you get to drive so much! My "commute" to work is only 4 miles each way...

#63 · (Edited)
Definitely good news if the OP is coming around.

The intensity and number of posts reflect the passion of those of us that are loving these vehicles! I have been pondering this over the past few days and it occurs to me that when AR decided to make a comeback, how much they focused on the intended and legacy Alfa Romeo DNA and worked to tightly differentiate the brand and customer experience vs. getting lost in the competition. I am pretty certain there was much attention directed on intended demographics of potential buyers; lifestyles; income brackets; risk takers; adrenaline junkies, etc. that pretty much defines the posters here on this forum. And IMO they did a pretty darned good job executing with a few noted compromises.

As I've noted before, the sum of the whole is perfect in its imperfection-- such are the most ideal things in life and nature.

Meanwhile over in the Facebook group "Alfa Romeo Owners North America", a guy trolled that Alfas were nothing more than glorified Fiats... Powder keg... BOOM... He was chewed up and spit out by an avalanche of AR owners. Great pictures and comments over there.

I like to think of Stelvio as a 'dialed back' Maserati with Ferrari DNA:grin

#64 · (Edited)
I can’t say enough nice things about mine. It’s ironic that my favorite car in the garage is also the least expensive model, which says an awful lot about the job that Alfa did engineering an entire range of fantastic driving vehicles, and should be solace for anyone who was not willing or able to stretch for a Quadrifoglio. Hence, why I’m always shocked to hear such negative feedback from some posters. Really makes you wonder about their frame of reference...or worse...sanity! :devil

#65 ·
I have yet to find a vehicle where voice commands are worth a darn thing. They are all slow to respond and annoying. Pretty stupid technology IMHO. Why tell the stupid thing to set temp to 68 when you can do it by hand in 1/10th the time for example.

#67 ·
I have yet to find a vehicle where voice commands are worth a darn thing. They are all slow to respond and annoying. Pretty stupid technology IMHO. Why tell the stupid thing to set temp to 68
when you can do it by hand in 1/10th the time for example.
You are so right. I have had the voice command crap in my last 3 or 4 cars. Never worked right on any of them.

#66 ·
oh, congrats on the 4c, didn't realize you picked one up! m34c56?

" It’s ironic that my favorite car in the garage is also the least expensive model"
I think I wrote a very positive bit about the base stelvio after a rather long loaner experience - I REALLY liked it, even though it wasn't optioned the way I would have, so couldn't agree more. for many it is the better car, and I sure don't think anyone with one needs solace.

#68 ·
The infotainment center is a piece of junk. Replaced and "repaired" twice, continues to reboot randomly and blast music at full volume. Alfa Tech say they have NO fix for these problems but that is the least of the problems with this car. Electronic failure after failure, 68 days at the dealer in less than one year and only 7,000 miles, a dozen different problems they cannot fix even with doing the six recall updates on the car. Trust me you are in for more problems then you can imagine with the Stelvio. Thank God for the Lemon Law attorneys as this one is going back for good.

#69 ·
The infotainment center is a piece of junk. Replaced and "repaired" twice, continues to reboot randomly and blast music at full volume. Alfa Tech say they have NO fix for these problems but that is the least of the problems

with this car. Electronic failure after failure, 68 days at the dealer in less than one year and only 7,000 miles, a dozen different problems they cannot fix even with doing the six recall updates on the car. Trust me you are in for more problems then you can imagine with the Stelvio. Thank God for the Lemon Law attorneys as this one is going back for good.
I have a 2019 and the only issue I have had is with the battery. Really feel bad for you.
Your car has been torture for you. Hope you find a resolution with this vehicle.
How can my Stelvio be almost perfect and yours have a so many trouble issues. 2919 vs 2018? Hard to imagine.

#70 ·
I think it's completely normal to hate your car after 24hrs. I did. But I traded in a 2014 3.5i x6 and the infotainment system wasn't any better. However, the dynamics of the alfa system are a bit more annoying and the screen is small and minute in comparison. After spending 20min in the car alone while it was raining out I taught myself what I needed to know.
After a month now, do I hate the car? I can admit I don't love it that's for sure. The auto start/stop function is the most dumbest idea I ever experienced on a car. A total nusiance more than anything.
I disabled it but I think as a result it disabled other features as well. I also do not like the shifter. The park button is super sensitive and if I don't pay attention to it while I adjust the climate control, my wrist would accidently touch the p button and like a fool I'm stopped at a green light not realizing what I did wrong. And last but not least the 4cyl sound is becoming annoying. I'm thinking about changing the exhaust to get a more deeper sounding tone.
I do love the drive and handling of the car. Interior space is more than enough for what I use the car for and for the next 35 months I'll just have to man up and look past those annoying little quirks.

#72 ·
@jwq2 Regarding the update .zip file, I've heard from some people that the vehicle will request a code of some sort before doing the update, which only the dealer can provide. Is that true? I'm considering trying it myself... my dealer is an hour and a half away and I can't take time during the week to bring the car there, and I really don't want to spend time on a Saturday to make the trip since there isn't a whole lot else to do in that area... it's awfully tempting, but I also don't want to ruin it since it's not really broken at the moment either. (The only problem I'm really looking to fix is the popping from the left front speaker when connected via USB... really only an annoyance).

#73 ·
No, there is no code, it's very straightforward, as said. It's a simple menu item on the infotainment, and only takes 15 minutes.
You need the correct firmware of course, the link I gave is for 002.009.055, which is for the "old" hardware. I assume you've checked what you have now.
Lots of people, including myself, have done (numerous) update(s) without any problems, but it's up to you of course ;)

#75 · (Edited)
Reading through the specific threads on the mostly dislikes of the Alfa Infotainment System seems to be an individualized perspective on how the system should perform. If you came from a previous car that you believe had a better system then you're disappointed with screen size, voice commands, no touchscreen etc.
I joined the forum in November while my wife's car was on order. There were plenty of posts/threads on this same issue and since we both had cars with no infotainment systems we weren't too concerned I guess because we didn't know any better and didn't focus on this part of the car on our initial test drive.
We've had her car for about a month now and have learned the system. In spite of all the negative forum issues/comments we think the system is a blast and works great. It has taken us a month to really uncover all the features and while it may seem antiquated to some it's a modern miracle to us. We would both rather have the rotary dial than a touchscreen and we have had no trouble with the limited voice commands we've tried so far.
Suggest to anyone that is disappointed with the system early on give it a chance and it might grow on you. We all get set in our ways and sometimes difficult to accept change.
I won't get in to the part about how great the car drives and handles even though I just did.

#76 ·
... In spite of all the negative forum issues/comments we think the system is a blast and works great. ... We would both rather have the rotary dial than a touchscreen and we have had no trouble with the limited voice commands we've tried so far.
Same here. My wife's 2019 car has a touchscreen. I prefer the Alpha's clean and elegant design. Hey, if I need a touch screen, I just drive her car...Everybody has different mindsets.

#77 · (Edited)
Agree: I came from U-Connect and the AR system is way easier and safer going down the road vs. bobbing along trying to touch a screen. We specifically hated this aspect of the X60. My opinion is it is elegant and clean with just the right knobs and functions once you get used to it.

That said, I am sensitive to the tech-oriented who are into latest tech. And you can be sure it is being revised as a continuous improvement issue. But all of this is known and addressed ad nauseum so how you would commit to a contract and then carp incessantly about it - peeing in the punch bowl - is a little amazing to me.

Thank God I am in B2B not end consumer sales!

It is what it is.

Reactions: simplyFast
#80 · (Edited)
functionally the .55 is the same as the .59
The .59 was introduced to (hopefully?) solve the spontaneous reboots some people were having, probably due to satellite radio.

As said, the update is very simple and only takes approx 15 minutes. During the update the system will reboot once or twice, don't worry, this is normal ;)

#81 ·
@jwq2 THANK YOU for providing that link for the update (and the information on how to do it as well). Everything went exactly as you described, and not only is the popping in that speaker gone, all of the music sounds SO much better in general; so clear, I can hear background instruments and cymbal hits that I couldn't hear before, and the stereo effect is much more noticeable now than it ever was. It actually sounds more like a "surround" system than the highly-acclaimed ELS system did in my last car (Acura). Amazing!

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Now there's literally nothing I don't like about my Stelvio!

#82 ·
@jwq2 THANK YOU for providing that link for the update..... Now there's literally nothing I don't like about my Stelvio!
Great that all went well for you ;)
Enjoy the car and the music :)

#83 ·
I just leased a 2019 Stelvio. Returned my end of lease Giulia. The Stelvio was sold with 1 year subscription to Sirius Radio. I set up the Sirius subscription but the info screen showed no satellite icon so I called the dealer. Service told me that the Sirius connection was currently a software problem for Alfa and that I should check back in a few weeks to see if there's a fix.

#84 ·
Must be related to specific VIN #'s maybe?? Our '19 was delivered to the dealer on March 15 and we picked it up and first thing I did was set up the Sirius subscription and has worked fine from day 1. You know this already but you have to set up online and then call Sirius while you are inside the car to complete the process.

Reactions: kona2000
#85 ·
You are 100% correct the technology is like 4 years behind every other manufacturer, I accept it and simply try to enjoy the Stelvio. I would never buy a vehicle like this because we do not know the long term reliability, i did 24 month lease so at least I am covered under warranty for mechanical problems if they arise. If you buy it and its not reliable you will be stuck because resale values will plummet.

#87 · (Edited)
My Stelvio without CarPlay is in the shop and I have a Giulia loaner with CarPlay, the Giulia is great; CarPlay is just fine. I've been using CarPlay for over a week now and my feeling is it's ok, it's nice to plug in any phone and it just works, it is also nice to see Waze on the car's screen, but for me that's about it. I can't say I love it. Now that I know how CarPlay works, not having it in my Stelvio is not a big loss, in fact it's quite ok...

#90 · (Edited)
Google has finally admitted the way Android auto and Apple carplay are implemented in not really workable. The additional layers of coding and limited app functionality is too hard to overcome.

They just announced a full Android operating system specifically designed for cars that will run on the vehicle's infotainment system and interface with your phone allowing for full use of all functions in all apps on your phone along with far faster processing times than the current system which runs entirely on the phone.

FCA is one of the first manufacturers to sign on to the new system. Doesn't help anyone right now, but nice to know things might be getting better on the mobile office front.

...now is the question of do you REALLY want your car downloading and saving ALL the information on your phone? Possibly sending that information not just to Google, but to FCA, Toyota, VAG, etc..? Your car's movements - AND SPEEDS - being wirelessly transmitted to anyone with a receiver - read the police? You guys do realize Law Enforcement Organizations have been working with car manufacturers for years to develop a system where any violations can be digitally monitored with tickets being sent out in the mail when a computer is alerted to illegal maneuvers? (I read an article in Popular Mechanics back in the 90's about it, didn't believe it, yet here we are with most of those technologies that were on the drawing board then fully developed now, with many of them already installed in cars...ie: tracking devices and wireless communication systems)

Google some of the articles about how people are buying second hand Teslas and getting access to all the previous owners personal information, like addresses, workplace, where their kids go to school, how fast they drove on the freeway, which bank they go to the most, etc... Most people don't know how to clear out their old phone before getting a new one. Making getting a new phone a stressful event for many people. Buying a new car is already stressful, do you REALLY want to drive off the lot depending on the dealer to clear out all your old information? Do you think you are going to sleep well after that? Really?

Personally I am in no rush, and would prefer to go back to the days of the stereo delete option, with a display stand in the dealership showroom with all the audio options for you to check out, and if you wanted one the dealership could probably install it while you waited...

with all that said, Google maps does rock. Just don't want all the other privacy issue stuff that comes along with it. Yes, I already have to deal with it because of my phone, but that is the point. I already worry about it, don't want to worry about it twice....especially since as bad as phone companies are....car companies might be worse...

#92 ·
Have a '15 Overland Grand Cherokee with High Altitude Package plus other and the infotainment U-Connect isn't the greatest unless you pay addition fees for replying voice to text. My Mrs. '15 Avalon (V6) infotainment system is much better. However the 5.1 surround sound blue-ray rocks my world. Hey WoodstockDude, I'm from Woodstock in the foothills of the Catskills. Drove Stelvio sport trim and loved it. Can't hang with the aggressive bolsters in higher trims though - bummer...lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.