Is it normal to hate your car after 24 hours? - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 135Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 82 (permalink) Unread 04-04-2019, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Is it normal to hate your car after 24 hours?

Hey all,

I'm a brand-new user and a new owner of a 2018 Stelvio that I picked up yesterday afternoon. This car is a blast to drive - amazing acceleration and handling!

However, I kept banging my fist against the steering wheel on a long drive on the Thruway today. The infotainment is absolutely atrocious. I do a lot of driving (around 18k per year) and for me, my car is a rolling office. I bought a loaded Ti Sport with all the technology so that I could just enjoy the drive. So when I tried using the voice commands, it was an utter disaster.

Every time I tried to get the system to switch to a Sirius channel, it failed. Yes, I read the manual on voice commands. Yes, I tried every which way to make it happen. Sometimes if I told it to switch to channel 114 for example, it would take me to AM 1140. Or, it would just say, "switching to satellite radio" and nothing would happen, since I was already on a satellite channel.

Then I tried making a call. It either didn't recognize my wife's name (in the phone book two different ways, including ICE) or it called someone completely different, and not even a close name match. This happened multiple times, over and over again.

So far, the dealer has been unhelpful, and Alfa Customer Service should really change their name, because it's not customer service. They couldn't connect me to anyone who could help.

Radio favorites - only 7? Really? In 2019, how do you not have the ability to make that 20? Or even 10?

The dealer told me that they updated all of the firmware. Currently I show:

MV-002.009.043
TV-002.009.043

Are these the most current versions?

So yes, I did a test drive - 4 of them, in fact. It's not until you actually use something complicated like the infotainment system in a car that you really understand its limitations. A $55,000 car should be competent in its interfaces, in addition to being a great drive...which is why I bought this car. But I feel like the inability to use these systems easily is not only frustrating, but dangerous as well. I shouldn't be trying to fix stuff while I'm driving, and I shouldn't be driving angry, which is where I see myself being for 3 years.

If anyone is interested in doing a lease swap on a 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport, Trofeo White with red interior with 200 miles, please raise your hand.
MBW and huskyz like this.
post #2 of 82 (permalink) Unread 04-04-2019, 06:46 PM

Unfortunately the tech in this car isn't very good, it's just how it is. You're not allowed to say anything negative about the tech (they are just "quirks") because the ONLY thing that matters is how it drives so be prepared for a bunch of negative comments on what's wrong with you and what you did wrong by purchasing this vehicle. Just a heads up.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #3 of 82 (permalink) Unread 04-04-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter

Quirks are fine, every car has them. I knew the infotainment wasn't fantastic but I didn't know it was completely f**d up.

But voice commands are not just for convenience, they're for safety. I bought all the safety options on this car, but the one thing that will make this car less safe is the lack of a competent voice command system that forces me to keep looking away from the road.

Last edited by WoodstockDude; 04-04-2019 at 06:58 PM.
post #4 of 82 (permalink) Unread 04-04-2019, 07:01 PM

That’s not the latest version.. there’s a newer and yes it has more presets.
Alfaholico and Partsguy20 like this.
post #5 of 82 (permalink) Unread 04-04-2019, 07:25 PM

Garage
The voice commands are absolutely bad. Full stop. I tested them during test drives and they were a major part of why I ordered my car from the factory to 100% ensure I had ACP. CarPlay and the latest software fix most of the limitations of the built in voice commands, but may not be an option if your car was built before 12/17.

The best workaround is a good phone mount (ProClip makes one) and some time in seat using the joystick. I personally hate touchscreens in cars so I like the joystick, but they aren’t for everyone.

I wish you luck in adapting to the car or finding someone willing to buy your lease out. Your dealer is incorrect BTW, that’s is not the most recent version of the 002 style software, I believe it’s .59 now.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport: Misano Blue with yellow calipers

Performance pack, leather dash, sunroof, CarPlay/AA, HK upgrade (-3 fade +7 bass -3 mid -4 treble)
post #6 of 82 (permalink) Unread 04-04-2019, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightofargh View Post
The voice commands are absolutely bad. Full stop. I tested them during test drives and they were a major part of why I ordered my car from the factory to 100% ensure I had ACP. CarPlay and the latest software fix most of the limitations of the built in voice commands, but may not be an option if your car was built before 12/17.

The best workaround is a good phone mount (ProClip makes one) and some time in seat using the joystick. I personally hate touchscreens in cars so I like the joystick, but they arenít for everyone.

I wish you luck in adapting to the car or finding someone willing to buy your lease out. Your dealer is incorrect BTW, thatís is not the most recent version of the 002 style software, I believe itís .59 now.
Thanks for the reply. I checked the door sticker and my car was built in 9/17. I think Android Auto (my phone) requires a physical connection not available in the 2018s. I have no problem with the touchpad (I think that's what you mean by joystick?), as I just came out of an X3. And BTW, I had my phone connected via brand new cable to the USB under the dash, and somehow it ended up losing charge instead of gaining.

(And I think I will have to try your audio settings - very cool that you posted them!)
post #7 of 82 (permalink) Unread 04-04-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifly4fun View Post
Thatís not the latest version.. thereís a newer and yes it has more presets.
I will certainly be having an interesting conversation with my dealer tomorrow. Thank you for the versioning info.
post #8 of 82 (permalink) Unread 04-04-2019, 09:14 PM

Unfortunately @sweetness34 nailed it. Criticizing any aspect of this car can be sacrilegious to some on this forum, regardless of how many times the subject of this ridiculous infotainment system on a $50K car comes up.

Now having said that, why would your dealer be so clueless about the updates? did they even check?
JerseyTISport, AlexZ and harvest like this.
post #9 of 82 (permalink) Unread 04-04-2019, 09:17 PM

Funny, but my wife keeps saying how much better the voice command is for phone and nav as compared to our former Lexus NX (only her phone is hooked up). Granted, we don't use voice commands for the radio, etc., but we've got most everything else set up so we know where to toggle. Ours is a 2019 Ti built in 10/18 and so far haven't come up with any really annoying quirks (must have been built on a Wednesday :-)).
Alfaholico and harvest like this.
post #10 of 82 (permalink) Unread 04-04-2019, 09:20 PM

Garage
No worries. I want you to love your Stelvio like I love mine, so I’m happy to share information on how I tuned my infotainment. I truly hope it helps, the HK speakers do start sounding better after the first 100 hours or so if that helps.

ACP and AA both require physical connections in Alfa’s design. There is hope (can’t find the thread right now) that getting them is just a USB hub swap and a little option enabling with a WiTec away for you. The dash USB should be pushing 2.7A, it you are losing charge it might not have seated the cable correctly. Mine did take a couple reconnects initially, the port is kind of tight. I still highly recommend a good dash mount regardless, I run mine to the right of the display with Waze on it so I have a list of turns even with the map hidden.

Worst case scenario you can do what I did for the first six months until Apple allowed Waze. I threw my phone on the dash and configured my Waze and phone voice commands to use the phone speaker instead of the Bluetooth and charged from a lighter adapter.
WoodstockDude likes this.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport: Misano Blue with yellow calipers

Performance pack, leather dash, sunroof, CarPlay/AA, HK upgrade (-3 fade +7 bass -3 mid -4 treble)