Through the storm - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

Through the storm

Thank you ARosso for bringing me home safe and sound. On Monday night, May 31, I was traveling from Gallia county right on the Ohio river to my home in Montgomery county. Half an hour into a two hour drive, the radio broadcast was interrupted by tornado warnings during my entire drive. It was pitch black, no rain or hail, but strong winds. Severe lightning lit up the sky as if it was daytime. Not a single state trooper was on the road! I'm terrified of thunder storms, but every radio station was playing Christian music which helped keep me focused on the journey. Made it home safely, put ARosso in the garage and went straight to my basement. In the morning I saw on the news that my city and several communities around had been hit by tornados! About a dozen people were texting me to see if I was ok. Feeling extremely blessed to have made it home safely and still have a home with no damage. Just thankful to be alive. Made it through the storm with ARosso.
lost1750GTV and Banffstelvio like this.

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport AWD Rosso w/red calipers.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:33 PM

Wow, glad you made it too!

Did a google search are you talking about the series of storm that left 600 homes unlivable?

Reports of 140mph winds.

If anyone wants to doubt just how good this vehicle is...

How did it drive?

You were fighting the wind I would think but it went where you pointed, accelerated and stopped correctly?

Did you FEEL in control? Or was it white knuckled, teeth grinding the whole time?

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ

Last edited by ALFAOFFROAD; 06-05-2019 at 08:35 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Alfaoffroad, I appreciate that. I felt very safe and secure driving in the high winds with little roll or sway on the road. I know I made the right choice when I got ARosso. She handled like a dream in a bad situation. I did not have any issues with handling or breaking (I was excellerating the closer I got to home). Gripping the steering wheel as I would normally drive was very comfortable. Love the thumb grips.

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Sport AWD Rosso w/red calipers.

Last edited by Angel Rain; 06-05-2019 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Handling in winds
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 PM

Happy to hear you are ok.

Storms are some scary situations.

I had one in the Alfa, big heavy snow and the highways were being shut down. I had mine in A mode with the Blizzack DMV2 and it handled like a beast and got me home before the last road was closed.

Love this car each time I drive it
asapjun likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 PM

Scary situation. Happy to hear you made it home safe and still had a home in the morning. Many people weren't so fortunate. The Alfa can be replaced but Angel Rain cannot.

Eighteen years ago we had an adjacent neighborhood pretty much disappear overnight. The tornado sirens didn't sound until after the damage was done. Luckily it was all new construction so families had not yet moved in.

I have had a panoramic sunroof in my last four vehicles and always wonder if it was a good choice when the hail starts hitting it as severe storms occur. So far so good.
Angel Rain likes this.

His: 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport AWD, Stromboli Gray, Yellow Calipers, Chocolate Interior
Static & Dynamic Assist Packages, Sunroof, Headlamp Washers, Nav, HK Audio, Spare Tire, Block Heater

Hers: 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport AWD, Vulcano Black, Red Calipers, Black Interior
Static & Dynamic Assist Packages, Sunroof, Headlamp Washers, Nav, HK Audio, Spare Tire, Cargo Rails
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:28 PM

Glad it was still comfortable!!

I've delt with some Monsoon rains a couple medium flash floods and the winds at Desert Hot Springs, nothing like what you guys describe. But that with how it handles in deep sand and sloppy mud, surface transitions from sand to loose rocks, mud, makes me think it has the best open axle/torque vectoring AWD on the market. Others talk about being predictive, this really is. I think it vectors torque to help counteract side winds...could be wrong, but I think it for more reasons than it would be cool.

The weight dist, stance and aerodynamics - even from the side - seem like it would be better than most SUVs in high winds.

Glad it all helped get you home safe and sound!

She probably needs a bath now!

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:38 AM

Our Stelvio didn't do as well in that storm, or any other storm for that matter. When it rains, the car throws an error, disables Adaptive Cruise, and intermittently panic brakes when there's nothing in the road in front of it. It's going in for service tomorrow morning but they're already telling us it's a 2-day delay to get "something" each time they have to reprogram a computer and if they need parts it might be as much as 2 weeks. Not a positive feeling.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Rain View Post
Thank you ARosso for bringing me home safe and sound. On Monday night, May 31
Monday May 27?

2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio
Vulcano Black Metallic
Red/Black interior with red stitching
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 09:10 AM

When there are heavy rains, water come off of the windshield and on to my side view driver's side window and makes it difficult to see out of it. Very strange. Anyone else notice it.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 11:18 AM

"throws an error, disables Adaptive Cruise, and intermittently panic brakes when there's nothing in the road in front of it."
sensors for modern convenience items like adaptive cruise and auto braking don't like to be able to see any more than you don't.
I suppose placement/adjustment/fine tuning of electronic stuff helps - but if the weather is really bad you shouldn't have that stuff on. others may have a different opinion.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page