Said Goodbye to my 2018 Afla Romeo Stelvio yesterday that I leased at the begining of - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 98Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Said Goodbye to my 2018 Afla Romeo Stelvio yesterday that I leased at the begining of

Said Goodbye to my 2018 Afla Romeo Stelvio Sport (Dark Grey) yesterday that I leasedat the begining of January 2019. A little background on the car, I leased thecar fully knowing the risk that comes with both an Italian car and an FCAproduct (both not known for having great reliability). Also, leasing a first modelyear car didn’t help either. I took the risk after seeing the great lease dealthey had for this “Premium” car. I did love the overall looks and the way thecar drove. Also, according to Jeremy Clarkson “you can’t be a true petrolheaduntil you’ve owned an Alfa Romeo”. So I overlooked the not-so-great infotainment(which gave me the first distaste for how Alfa Romeo handles customerswants/complaints after they refuse to please current customers and give themthe option to pay for Apple CarPlay mods), less than quality interior, and questionablereliability.
About the 2nd day owning my Stevlio, I beganhaving problems pertaining to a severely annoying window rattle right next tomy ear. This was the first time it spent a week+ at the dealership. It didn’t helpthat for every issue I had, they had to order parts straight from Italy whichtook 2-3 days. My former Stelvio had spend almost 60 days in the 4 months I ownedit, before I started the buyback process (which itself wasn’t great until itgot to the third-party settlement). Its almost embarrassing when everyone youknow, mentions how I have loaner car more than the Stelvio I initially leased. SoI sent in my certified letter but after the last dealership trip (which wasdown to one or two certified Alfa Techs after they lost 2 and made the waittime even longer to get my car back) with the problem still not fixed I triedto contact Alfa Cares to get updates and tell them the fixes did not work. (Afternumerous components that went bad and had to be replaced, but I don’t want toget into that).
So I spent the next 2 months chatting and calling Alfa Caresfor an update to my case but only getting the response “the case is outside ourdepartment and we can only note you request a call back update ASAP (which theydon’t have any way to contact this department)”. So me being from the googlegeneration and trying not to go the legal route and let FCA resolve this first;I was able to google my regional office and luckily they had a number (it washonestly a miracle) and I was able to contact the representative who was supposedto be handling my case.
They admitted there was a misunderstanding with the case andit got dropped which I understand. And to their defense after I called them andinformed them of everything, they gave me a response in the matter of an hour.I don’t want to get into the details of my settlement but I was extremely pleased😊.
They sent the details and approval to their third party whohandled the rest and took the car back and gave me a Check!
Suffice to say after a pretty displeasing 6 months of owningan Alfa Romeo, I was extremely happy to be done with this process. I now movedon to an amazing 2019 Audi SQ5 which I can admit might not handle as good asthe Stelvio (but its very close), but interior, technology, engine power and noise, and general quality of thecar is miles better.
I did neglect to every post anything on this forum because of how the “moderator” JUST BASH YOUFOR SAYING ANYTHING BAD ABOUT THE CAR. I mean theres a reason why sales are decliningfor these and there ratings aren’t great. I mean by being honest can only helpAlfa improve their cars. This SUV isn’t the greatest thing since sliced bread, it’sa great SUV but leaves a lot to be desired like:
CONS:
  • Biggest by far, the not so premium servicecenter (it should not be shared with Dodge and Jeep) like many have said but Iunderstand this isn’t for all dealers but mine didn’t know what makes a brand premium
  • Communication -How do I have to go into the darkweb to contact the offices and find a number
  • Interior Quality – I mean we stare at it thewhole time in the car and while many you may mention its about “the drive” butany long interstate jaunt or traffic situation you a stuck staring at the not sogreat hard plastics or mismatched trim. I mean come on, why didn’t they justcover the dash in leather or just match the graining on the dash.
  • Reliability – If youre a company known for bad reliability(which FCA is at and near the bottom), why just push these things out causethey weren’t ready. They touted how little time it took to develop this car/platformcompared to other car companies but I feel it bites them in the end because thesebasics should have been taken care of in the beginning before coming to the US.2 of my loaner cars broke down on me and threw all kinds of error codes.
  • Infotainment – Its like they took the firstiteration of iDrive and just copied it. But this is covered by everyone, everywherejust search
  • Electrical Issues – Again more testing wouldhave helped

Pros:
  • I did enjoy talking to the Head of Alfa Romeo inthe US. He understood where I was coming from with all this and thought theconcerns were valid. (I started emailing him about Apple CarPlay and he didhonestly look into this).
  • The way it handled was great and those Aluminumpaddles are awesome.
  • The start button like on a Ferrari did make mefeel cool.
  • They were fair on the settlement.
Let me stress, please no moderators (you know who you are)bash me cause I feel I left a very fair and honest assessment. When I look atthis forum and read through it, you really do hate on people who say anythingbad and you hamper people from joining and posting. Don’t be a dictator here.
I did reframe from putting in biased experiences (cause Ihave been frustrated at times through this process) but since this saga isfinally over it’s a no harm, no foul situation.
Now I do hope for Alfa Romeos success (always root for theunderdog/newcomer) and I feel that feedback is always helpful for a brand to getbetter.
post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:16 PM

That you are pleased with your payout from Alfa, and did not have to hire a lawyer to reach a settlement, actually speaks volumes to the manufactures' commitment to the brand, as I know from personal experience VAG does not do lemons or buybacks without legal proceedings and letters with law firm letterheads. And then the payout is not satisfactory...rather it will meet a legal minimum.

All the worry about hate I think is pretty funny, since literally every single person who has posted a complaint on this forum AND gives proof of the problem sufficient for any type of diagnosis or even suggestions as to how obtain a diagnosis....

I have personally taken hundreds of hours out of my personal schedule in the last year or so, to help. Most all of them have responded back with how their issues got taken care of and they can now enjoy your car.

Sorry you felt unable to come in the forum and ask for help.

It is true, I (and others) do not have patience with those who cannot or will not, show proof of thier problems. Probably because that really shouldn't be hard, and is expected everywhere but internet forums.

Why you feel the need to specifically name the "moderator" as the person delivering hate, I don't understand though. Truth is the moderator doesn't post that much IMO. I am not any sort of moderator BTW..there seems to be only one here.

PS. Check your formatting next time you copy/paste text. Missing all those spaces makes it very hard to read in long text blocks.

Enjoy your Audi. They make a very luxurious vehicle that uses the exact same interior plastics as a $13,000 Volkswagen....

True, the grains match.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ

Last edited by ALFAOFFROAD; 07-03-2019 at 03:26 PM.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAOFFROAD View Post
That you are pleased with your payout from Alfa, and did not have to hire a lawyer to reach a settlement, actually speaks volumes to the manufactures' commitment to the brand, as I know from personal experience VAG does not do lemons or buybacks without legal proceedings and letters with law firm letterheads. And then the payout is not satisfactory...rather it will meet a legal minimum.

All the worry about hate I think is pretty funny, since literally every single person who has posted a complaint on this forum AND gives proof of the problem sufficient for any type of diagnosis or even suggestions as to how obtain a diagnosis....

I have personally taken hundreds of hours out of my personal schedule in the last year or so, to help. Most all of them have responded back with how their issues got taken care of and they can now enjoy your car.

Sorry you felt unable to come in the forum and ask for help.

It is true, I (and others) do not have patience with those who cannot or will not, show proof of thier problems. Probably because that really shouldn't be hard, and is expected everywhere but internet forums.

Why you feel the need to specifically name the "moderator" as the person delivering hate, I don't understand though. Truth is the moderator doesn't post that much IMO. I am not any sort of moderator BTW..there seems to be only one here.

PS. Check your formatting next time you copy/paste text. Missing all those spaces makes it very hard to read in long text blocks.

Enjoy your Audi. They make a very luxurious vehicle that uses the exact same interior plastics as a $13,000 Volkswagen....

True, the grains match.
Ive read both good and horror stories from all brands, and i just posted my honest process. I did mention how i was pleased with them.

I already noticed the format after i posted it but declined to edit it, it showed up fine before i clicked post then went crazy after.

And that last sentence about Audi using the same plastics is ignorant. Thats like saying the Alfa Romeo uses the same plastics as Jeep Renegade or these same engine as a Jeep Cherokee... Its a completely different animal and every review site calls them out for it.

Theres a reason they're highly regarded as the best interior but i wouldnt expect a fanboy to do adequate research. Only blurt out fake news facts...

Next time if you have little patience for others you should decline to post, cause the post im referring to are other expressing their experiences (which i agree some are less relevant to the car).
harvest and bobstelviobob like this.
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:23 PM

I'm sure I'm missing something in that long post, but it sounds like you dumped your 2nd stelvio because there was a rattle by your ear. Not sure why you dumped the first.
Of course if one does not like the materials in the base car one can always option the nicer interiors with leather dash - so I really dont see that as an issue. Alfa had CarPlay before Toyota, and if that was important to anybody then they should have bought a car with it.

There must have been actual issues with your cars, but I seem to have missed whatever they might have been. Certainly the dealership can make or break the ownership experience, but I get the impression you bought the wrong car for yourself and really wanted an Audi in the first place.
mc3456, Kannassee, kuban and 3 others like this.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 04:45 PM

I know politics is frowned upon, but I can't resist noting that this is a great country. We have choices. We have the right to complain. We can petition. We can sue. We can settle among ourselves. Many of us, by luck or grace have or have had opportunities that allow us to buy Audis, Alfas, or whatever is part of our dream for ourselves. I know, I know. Not everyone. But by and large, everyone has a chance and choices. Freedom to pursue (even if not always attained) happiness. God bless us all.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:19 PM

I'm in a new Stelvio after running out the lease on a Giulia. I've driven comparable new Audi's and Beemers and IMO neither interests me. I hear a lot of complaints from the cloned auto reviewers about the ALFA dash and quite frankly I don't get it. Most other makes dash look like a juke box! Who needs that or even wants it. I don't get those complaints. As far as "noise level" my friend, while driving my car for the first time, commented on how quiet the car was compared to his Lexus. As far as reliability, I have had no problems, while I had several MAJOR issues with my VW TDI Jetta, one, that cost over $5000 before the car hit 50K. Fortunately it was with the fuel and emissions system so under warranty (read: complete fuel tank, lines and injectors replaced). My friend who bought a Audi diesel upon my early recommendation is still mad at me because of his car's permanent recall. The best thing the VW (Audi) group did for me was buy the car back! Definetly not a reliable or honest car manufacturer.
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:41 PM

Funny.. I traded a 2018 SQ5 (fully loaded) in for a 2018 Quad. 17k miles and counting and 0 issues. Luck of the draw I guess. Enjoy the way the Germans do it!

2018 Stelvio Quadrifoglio Vesuvio Grey
GLAM SHOT
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginibeacher View Post

Ive read both good and horror stories from all brands, and i just posted my honest process. I did mention how i was pleased with them.

I already noticed the format after i posted it but declined to edit it, it showed up fine before i clicked post then went crazy after.

And that last sentence about Audi using the same plastics is ignorant. Thats like saying the Alfa Romeo uses the same plastics as Jeep Renegade or these same engine as a Jeep Cherokee... Its a completely different animal and every review site calls them out for it.

Theres a reason they're highly regarded as the best interior but i wouldnt expect a fanboy to do adequate research. Only blurt out fake news facts...

Next time if you have little patience for others you should decline to post, cause the post im referring to are other expressing their experiences (which i agree some are less relevant to the car).
Ignorant, nice. It would be ignorant to say something well known to not be true.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/ca...awk/480744002/

Do a Google search. The 2.0 engine in Alfas and the upgraded 2.0 in the Jeep Cherokee is the same engine. Which is common knowledge and noted on most review sites that get that technical. Hence the reference above. Did I do it right? Hope so cause I never do research, just an ignorant fanboy here.

Posted more than a few negative comments on not just Alfa, not just on the dealership experience, but also on the entire auto industry. Have given advice on how to lemon vehicles too. Also posted lots of positive stuff, more positive stuff. Because that has been my experience.

However, obviously mine or anyone else's experiences are not as well informed as yours.

It is interesting despite all your defensive comments, you are the one actually trying to be insulting here.

While I personally think the graining and textures in the Alfa are nice because they remind me of old Alfa's and classic cars in general, I also think Alfa plastics are cheaper than they should be. And have stated that in more than one post.

Thing is, in my opinion, Audi, BMW and everyone else are cheaper than they should be too. Except Mazda...Mazda interiors punch way out of their weight class for the money. The true world class interior right now...Mazda. truth is if they had put the 250hp engine in the CX5 earlier...I'd probably be driving that right now. Happy they waited because I think I bought the better car long term.

And yes, the plastics in a VW and Audi, below waist level are identical, unless you are talking about upgraded Audi interiors, or the premier level cars - anything with a 6 designation or above is premium, 5 and below are considered the mass market Audi vehicles. The reviewers do not note this because Audi does not send them base level interiors...there are always lots of options added.

But yes fake news....Alfa fanboy (that has long posts about how great the VAG B5 platform was, and how VAG would be a great partner for FCA, and how VAG is the best example of how to build/rebuild a fallen brand..using Audi specifically as an example, gosh I'm biased toward Alfa.)

Again, enjoy your Audi, sorry Alfa was not for you.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ

Last edited by ALFAOFFROAD; 07-03-2019 at 06:01 PM.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:10 PM

@Virginibeacher unfortunately a write up like yours brings them out in full force .... I know of a few people who have left this forum cuz they couldn't stomach these homers.

But it is to be expected, every brand has them. Whatever you plan to get next, continue to say it like you see it.
JerseyTISport, AlexZ and harvest like this.

Last edited by Marco; 07-03-2019 at 06:13 PM.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:19 PM

@ALFAOFFROAD is spot on about VW & Audi (even Porsche) having the same interior plastics. My previous two vehicles were VW Touaregs that are assembled in Bratislava, Slovakia. Yes, the same plant that assembles the Audi Q7 and Porsche Cayenne. Even though they are molded to different shapes they are the same materials. I'm not saying this is a negative, only that it is true. Sit inside of an Audi Q3 and it will be very familiar if you were ever inside the last generation VW Tiguan.

Remember luxury is nothing more than perception through good marketing. If we spend more money we are somehow supposed to feel better about what we purchased. If the Touareg had four rings on the grill and there was no Q7 it would fit right into Audi's lineup. This is precisely how I ended up with a Stelvio. Volkswagen Group figured out they were losing Audi sales to VW so they did not bring the 2019 Touareg into the USA. A blessing in disguise as we are enjoying both of our 2018 Stelvio's (even without Apple CarPlay).

His: 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport AWD, Stromboli Gray, Yellow Calipers, Chocolate Interior
Static & Dynamic Assist Packages, Sunroof, Headlamp Washers, Nav, HK Audio, Spare Tire, Block Heater

Hers: 2018 Stelvio Ti Sport AWD, Vulcano Black, Red Calipers, Black Interior
Static & Dynamic Assist Packages, Sunroof, Headlamp Washers, Nav, HK Audio, Spare Tire, Cargo Rails

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page