Dash readout matches today... - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Dash readout matches today...

The outside temp and miles to empty are the same...both 117. Not particularly happy about it....Click image for larger version

Name:	20190713_105223_1563044475259.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	15731

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ

Last edited by ALFAOFFROAD; 07-13-2019 at 03:04 PM.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:37 PM

That's a strange one .... of the two, the temp gauge seems more stable but i have never found the mileage gauge to be accurate on ANY car. Especially the gas consumption mileage based on driving habits.

I think the old way of guesstimating when the E-light comes on is still the best practice
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Not strange at all,

It's 107 outside and the car has been in the sun all morning so it's reading about 10 degrees high..so 117.

Plus I have been doing short trips in town and off roading only the last 4 days so the miles to empty is reading low....at 117.

Just random...and kinda cruddy...so hot at 10am, I took the dogs for a walk, we walked maybe 200 feet and they went back to the car...(I walk out in the desert so don't have to leash them..they decided to go back, not me. I was happy to come back home though)

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALFAOFFROAD View Post

I took the dogs for a walk, we walked maybe 200 feet and they went back to the car...(I walk out in the desert so don't have to leash them..they decided to go back, not me. I was happy to come back home though)
Hey as a fellow dog owner i have been desperately looking for rubber mats i can attach to the back of the back seats when they are laid down flat for the times i have my pooch in there. Have you heard/seen/know of any?

I know Toyota has them for the Highlander only. For some reason no other Toyota trim has it. And, I haven't seen it on any other car either.

Any info would be great.

Last edited by Marco; 07-13-2019 at 04:07 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Not strange at all,

It's 107 outside and the car has been in the sun all morning so it's reading about 10 degrees high..so 117.

Plus I have been doing short trips in town and off roading only the last 4 days so the miles to empty is reading low....at 117.

Just random...and kinda cruddy...so hot at 10am, I took the dogs for a walk, we walked maybe 200 feet and they went back to the car...(I walk out in the desert so don't have to leash them..they decided to go back, not me. I was happy to come back home though)
I misunderstood what you were saying .... i thought you meant there was an electronics glitch.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

@Marco ..I have found a couple options on Amazon but they all looked clunky. They were mostly cheap padded nylon not rubber, seemed awkward and were generic designs - not made for the Stelvio. So, I use a thick blanket when I put the dogs back there. Found if I tuck it into the headrests on the backseat and the seam at the edge of the seat backs it even works when the backseats are up to keep dog hair off the carpet. I use the grocery bag hooks on the sides to hook the blanket so it protects everywhere there is carpet back there. When the seats are down I use a top sheet that is big enough so I can tuck it into the rear windows at the base to keep dog slobber off the doors and cover all the carpet also.

Now if only someone could invent glass that won't get dirty from dog slobber...

or a way to stop them from slobbering and sheading....I am considering shaving them all for the summer...(not really)

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
@Marco ..I have found a couple options on Amazon but they all looked clunky. They were mostly cheap padded nylon not rubber, seemed awkward and were generic designs - not made for the Stelvio. So, I use a thick blanket when I put the dogs back there. Found if I tuck it into the headrests on the backseat and the seam at the edge of the seat backs it even works when the backseats are up to keep dog hair off the carpet. I use the grocery bag hooks on the sides to hook the blanket so it protects everywhere there is carpet back there. When the seats are down I use a top sheet that is big enough so I can tuck it into the rear windows at the base to keep dog slobber off the doors and cover all the carpet also.

Now if only someone could invent glass that won't get dirty from dog slobber...

or a way to stop them from slobbering and sheading....I am considering shaving them all for the summer...(not really)
I think you did a bang up job painting the picture in my head, but a couple of pictured would do wonders ... tx
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

it's is 107 degrees at 11am. Right now it is 112 outside..in the shade...setting up the back of the car to take pictures of a sheet isn't on the priority list...sorry. The dogs aren't getting walks accept right before sunrise too...only go out when the sun is down now. Took them out yesterday because it was too late, and I am committed to walking them everyday no matter what...they may *just* be dogs, but they are living creatures who need exercise and deserve to have fun...so I make sure they get it everyday. If I had looked at the weather forecast I would have done it earlier yesterday though...

Not trying to be a jerk, have breathing issues from scarring in my bronchial tubes that I got from inhaling a metric crap-ton of hot smoke while pulling my wife's grandfather out of my burning house, then stupidly going back in and putting the fire out, about 10 years ago. Now when it gets above body temperature outside my bronchial tubes fill with mucus and I basically suffocate with a lungful of air -similar to someone with COPD....so yesterday since it was the first really hot day of the season...is also the last day I will go outside during the day for longer than it takes to walk to my car...which is ten feet from the front door and will already be started and cooled off inside.

Called Bronchiectasis...it sucks but only when it is hot...or I am someplace dirty or moldy. It's related to my other autoimmune issues....not looking for sympathy, just want to explain why I am not going outside to take pictures...maybe till September/October. Yes, I realize living in the desert might not be the best idea...but bacteria and molds affect me worse than heat (very susceptible to lung infections), and living in any city/apartment building doesn't work...those places are unbelievably dirty. Forests and plains are filled with pollen so they mess me up too...plus anything over about 25% humidity causes mucus build up so I need a dry climate. Basically, I wear a mask when I go into Palm or LA, any other city, and live in the desert because 10 months of the year the air is wonderfully clean and I can be normal. Plus I love the Mojave Desert and the Joshua Tree national Park.

(BTW...this is why I talk/edit like I do in my videos...I fill my lungs then talk fast so I don't run out of air before I finish talking. It is either that or I sound like Malcom's best friend from "Malcolm in the Middle", talking slow and gasping for air every once an while. For my actual paying work, I'm experimenting with short takes where I talk easy and slow, with a deliberate monotone and only say one or two sentences before I cut to breath. Then stich it all together in post...crazy time consuming to shoot and edit that way and is taking a lot of practice to keep a natural verbal flow but comes off more professional than talking really fast which results in me pitching my voice up.)

For anyone interested, (think I may have posted some of this before) me and my Wife were her Grandpa's caretaker from 92-98 years old - no way we would let him get put in a home and his dementia meant he couldn't be on his own anymore - and my wife had a severe IBS episode that day so I took her to the emergency room. Came back to the house as soon as she was admitted and it was burning because he turned the stove vent fan on high for some unknown reason and went back to his room. The fan motor overheated and caused the cloth wrapped wiring in the walls to catch fire (it was the house I grew up in - built in the 50's and never updated- this is what insurance said BTW). That caught a giant bottle of Crisco from Costco on fire...when I got home the entire kitchen was gone and the smoke was so thick inside I couldn't see the sun through the windows (the curtains were open but the windows were all closed because it was winter and 20 degrees outside), I walked in the front door and it was pitch black inside, so I turned on the lights and took probably a half second wondering why they weren't making the room brighter, then I thought " Hey..it's daylight and the drapes are open...I shouldn't need a light. Why can't I see the dinning room…?" That is when I realized I was tasting smoke and it was hard to breath, instinct took over after that...don't remember much, but I got him outside and the fire put out before I called myself an ambulance. I remember pulling him out, then going back in...that's it...woke up at the hospital with my wife and him looking at me. I was told I called 911 and never responded to the operator, so they sent people and found me on the kitchen floor with a fire extinguisher and an empty pitcher. Grandpa was standing over me scared...he forgot it happen a couple hours later...for the next 6 months every time he walked into the kitchen he said "Hey looks like you had a fire! When did that happen?" Once it got fixed, for him, it never happened. Dementia isn't all bad IMO...

We know from the damage I never pulled my shirt up or anything else to filter the smoke, took almost a year of therapy before I could breath without an inhaler and an oxygen tank (still have both for bad days though) I didn't die obviously, he lived another 3 years. Wouldn't trade that for anything, but now I stay in filtered, climate controlled rooms when it is hot...and make sure all the electrical is up to code...have smart fire alarms in every room to call the fire dept. automatically, etc.

To complete the story, State Farm and the local agent who had carried the policy on that home for over 30 years since my father had owned it, I just renewed the same policy...paid for a cleaning crew to come in...but told them explicitly to not move things off walls or move/clean behind, under furniture (extra fee), then paid $10,000 and told me to Eff off. I rebuilt the kitchen, replaced the flooring, painted the enter house and refinished the ceiling myself while breathing on an oxygen tank and working a full time job as a service manager, while also doing physical therapy because I was 35 and stupid. It left me with a myriad of aches and pains, breathing problems and more. So now it is ten years later and I don't do any of that....I read a lot, film and edit videos, give advice on cars, manage investments...and do not push myself physically. Believe me, I would rather be outside sweating.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles

Last edited by ALFAOFFROAD; 07-14-2019 at 08:41 PM.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:33 PM

Alfa, considering our outside temps are similar - do you also get the feeling that our AC is a bit weak for these temperatures, or is it just me?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

It's better than the VW I had before in terms of cooling off the interior fast, but yes, I would like it to be more aggressive.

I think it is a software thing, because if I take it off auto and turn everything up manually it can make the interior almost too cold and keep it there, but on auto it only seems to really cool things off if the temp is set to the coldest setting.

Try to use the Auto setting to just keep it comfy at like 70 degrees and it pretty much fails.

Hopefully enough people complain Alfa will do an update and revise the logic...seems like the system tries to make the air coming out of the vents the temp you set, as opposed to making the interior that temp. Maybe it's an environmental thing..or maybe someone just had a bad idea...

Don't know why they did that, but it's not my favorite feature.

Pretty much I turn auto "off" for the summer to get the interior cold. Not a big deal but does take away from having climate control.

And even then...Ford, GM...both have colder A/C. Definitely a spot for improvement.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles

Last edited by ALFAOFFROAD; 07-15-2019 at 10:57 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page