Oil Change Interval Reset - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Oil Change Interval Reset

I just spoke with a dealer technician who told me how to reset the oil change interval without necessarily going to an Alfa dealer.

He said to press the start button twice without turning on the engine, then stomping on the brake pedal three times.

Does this make sense to anyone?

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti Sport, Trofeo White with Red interior, all tech options
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockDude View Post
I just spoke with a dealer technician who told me how to reset the oil change interval without necessarily going to an Alfa dealer.

He said to press the start button twice without turning on the engine, then stomping on the brake pedal three times.

Does this make sense to anyone?
No, none at all.....

From service manual giullia, and I assume stelvio is same:

Oil Change Indicator - Reset
•To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure.
•Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
•Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, six times within 10 seconds.
•Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE:
If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure. If the above process fails to complete, use the scan tool to complete the reset process.

My car : https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/g...vehicle_id=559

previous Alfa's : Alfa alfetta GTV, Alfasud QV, Spider 2.0 Veloce, 164 2.0, 147 GTA, Alfa giulia AWD 280 Hp

Last edited by jwq2; 09-12-2019 at 03:54 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 04:08 PM

Seems possible, there are several methods ive seen listed. Ill try it out later tonight when i change the oil in mine as it seems the easiest. My F150 just needs you to hit a button that says reset. (what a concept!) Since my dealer went belly up two months after buying the Stelvio and the nearest one is 100 or so miles away im hopeful it will reset without their assistance.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq2 View Post
No, none at all.....

•To reset the oil change indicator system (after performing the scheduled maintenance), refer to the following procedure.
•Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button and cycle the ignition to ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
•Without pushing the brake pedal, push the ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE:
If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure. If the above process fails to complete, use the scan tool to complete the reset process.

That is similar procedure to what I do for our Dodge Durango except you push the gas pedal 3 times. (common on many or most FCA products) Sometimes needs to be done more then once. For the Alfa this has been discussed on another thread, and I believe, to no clear solution.

2018 Base Stelvio - Vulcano Black / Chocolate Interior.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
No, none at all.....

NOTE:

Did not work for me. Anyone get this to work?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 10:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURCED View Post
Did not work for me. Anyone get this to work?
I've read about at least 2 people where it worked (2nd try)
You need to press the accelerator pedal right to the floor ....

Think it only resets the time-based reminder though, not the miles/km's based one....

I just use MultiEcuScan myself

previous Alfa's : Alfa alfetta GTV, Alfasud QV, Spider 2.0 Veloce, 164 2.0, 147 GTA, Alfa giulia AWD 280 Hp

Last edited by jwq2; 09-13-2019 at 10:17 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:06 AM

I tried it many times this morning with no luck.

My MES should be here next week.

Last edited by FOURCED; 09-13-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Add information
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 11:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOURCED View Post
I tried it many times this morning with no luck.

My MES should be here next week.
MES is the easy way

Guess the manual reset could be different between giulia and stelvio, but that would be surprising.....

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 06:18 PM

What is a MES ?

Quote:
MES is the easy way

Guess the manual reset could be different between giulia and stelvio, but that would be surprising.....

2018 Stromboli Grey Stelvio named "Christine"
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 04:11 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbrian View Post
What is a MES ?
MES is the 3rd party OBD tool, used to communicate with the car via the OBD port. Can be used to read and reset errors, set certain parameters, graph parameters etc. It's an alternative for the dealer tool Witech2.

MES stands for MultiEcuScanner
see https://www.multiecuscan.net/

Later cars have a SGW (Security GateWay) that blocks write access on the OBD port though. However, SGW bypass modules are available