OEM Paint Availability? - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

OEM Paint Availability?

Does anyone know if you can get the original Alfa Trofeo White paint from the manufacturer? I had someone back into my 12 day old Quad and the body shop did a horrible job matching the paint. They told me they can't get the OEM paint from Alfa and I just want to be sure that is correct. As you can see from the pic below the paint they matched is much more white than the original tri coat. That is a pic I took at night under the light, but during the day in natural light it is much more noticeable. Look at the front bumper above and below the headlight vs the passenger side quarter panel. As if that is acceptable to anyone!

Gregg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trofeo White.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	445.8 KB
ID:	16555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trofeo White 2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	16557  

2019 Stelvio TI Lusso Competition Red
2019 Stelvio Quad Trofeo White
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:44 AM

I am afraid that I agree with you @Greggr . Those whites do not match. I also have the white tri-coat with its glittery effect. Unfortunately I do not have an answer as to where/how to get white tri-coat matching paint(s). There must be a way to get identical paint even if it has to come from Italia.

TI Lusso 22X-Trofeo tri-coat white/Cannelloni crema leather/dash leather/Assist Pckgs/HK Snd/8.8" 3D Nav/20" wheels/ACP. Arte e prestazione Italiane
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

I showed my brother and he said it looks like they went to a junkyard and pulled a bumper off a Stelvio and put it on mine. It's just sad! They didn't really even try too hard to get the right color. We'll see what the manager of the shop says when I take it back to them. He miraculously wasn't there when I went to pick it up, so now I have to drive it 40 miles back to them and make my complaint again.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:40 PM

Garage
Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I think tri-coat paint is done in 3 steps:

1. Base coat solid colour (yup Canadian spelling of color haha)
2. Metallic
3. Clear coat.

Yours doesn’t even look metallic at all where they painted. I would not pay them a dime and make sure they fix it. It takes practice and a keen eye to match it. If they are not experienced enough with this paint then use another shop.

2019 Stelvio QV
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 02:50 PM

"Yours doesnt even look metallic at all where they painted"
yeah, like maybe they went to the paint store and bought alfa white.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

There is metalflake in there, it's just the wrong shade of white. This is the Alfa Body shop where I purchased the vehicle. They are aware of the tri coat process I just think they don't have the skills to get it done properly.

To my question, though, does anyone know if the OEM paint is available?

Gregg

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 09:05 PM

This is why I chose Alfa White (not just because it is cheaper. Non metallics are much easier to repair. Metallic paints are always very hard to match. Even a genuine auto paint artist (those are hard to find) can struggle with some metallics (regardless of vehicle brand).
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 01:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 108 View Post
This is why I chose Alfa White (not just because it is cheaper. Non metallics are much easier to repair. Metallic paints are always very hard to match. Even a genuine auto paint artist (those are hard to find) can struggle with some metallics (regardless of vehicle brand).
I agree 100%..... I hope I never have to get my vulcano black quad painted. It will be a b%#*^ for sure.

2019 Stelvio QV
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 12:24 PM

I'm surprised they'd let the car out of the shop with such a mismatch. They clearly didn't use the correct formulas for your paint code or applied them incorrectly. A quick way to answer your question is to contact your local (or any) PPG distributor (search is on the bottom right of this link) https://us.ppgrefinish.com/PPG-Refinish/Home ). Alfa likely uses a different paint/process when applying our paint at the factory but PPG is one of the best at creating color matches for repair shops to leverage for repairs.

To answer someone else's question, pearls are typically a 3 step process but not always. I'd assume Alfa's tri-coat will be a 3 stage and that the shop either used the wrong white as a base or didn't apply enough pearl (more pearl usually darkens the shade of the base color).

White is the hardest color to correctly match. Add a pearl effect to it which needs to be matched as well and it gets even more challenging. My advice to anyone who owns an Alfa with any of the tri-coat colors: take your car to the best body shop you can locate and make sure they understand that you expect an exact color match.
Gator1 likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-22-2019, 10:22 PM

Also even if you do get your hands on Trofeo White, know that this paint is hard to match on different surfaces (ie when painted on metal vs plastic). My new Trofeo White quad has some non-matching panels from the factory entirely dependent on the material of the panels.

Not saying that’s what they did here... your bumper is truly unacceptable.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page