Ugh! Kinda sad - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Ugh! Kinda sad

All,

Since California forced me to take my Stelvio in to get the ECU remapped to meet California emissions (I had to have the pink note just so I could register the vehicle) the stelvio drives like it is towing a boat behind it. The power is gone. I drove it like this for months now and it just sat in the back of my head how it just does not feel right. The other day my wife and I wanted to do a cheap controlled experiment for fun. We went to an airfield and tried a drag race. She drove a 2019 subaru forester and I drove the stelvio. 1/8 mile that is all. Well, the forester won time after time. Not by much (maybe by a bumper). We even tried a rolling execration test at 40, 60, and 80 mph. Still the forester was faster.
This really took the air out of my so to speak. So I took my Stelvio to the dealer to see if there was an issue with the car. I met to other couples there who had the same experience. The dealer said nothing is wrong but they have had multiple complaints about this issue.
We love the car and the styling but part of the whole package was the power it used to have.
Our solution turned out to be that we switched cars. The wife does not mind the lack of throttle response and the subaru gives me the acceleration I desire. The subaru has a torque curve adjust button that allows the driver to get most torque right away!
Anyway. Just venting. Still love the style and handling of the stelvio and the exclusivity.

Thanks for listening.

2018 Stromboli Grey Stelvio named "Christine"
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 09:32 AM

"Since California forced me to take my Stelvio in to get the ECU remapped to meet California emissions (I had to have the pink note just so I could register the vehicle)'

first I've heard of this, AR's are 50 state vehicles.
something new going on in CA?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

This was a recall for emissions. After the remap you would get a pink paper showing your vehicle had it done and you sent that to the DMV.

This was the FCA notice regarding stelvio not complying with emissions on board diagnostics regulation requirements for California. They reprogramed the PCM to enforce compliance.

2018 Stromboli Grey Stelvio named "Christine"

Last edited by moparbrian; 10-02-2019 at 10:07 AM.
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:02 AM

Garage
I spilled Kerosene in the trunk what a disaster, it wasn't much but the smell. I have to have a body shop it take apart and have it cleaned properly

Paul G Long island
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 10:25 AM

Thats rough dude, I'd be pissed if my Stelvio didn't do the one thing its really good at. Sometimes it acts like a moron and I'm pretty sure its slowly destroying my knee, but I forgive it for its drive lol.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 11:42 AM

"On board diagnostics for california"
I'm not sure how that would or could result in loss of power .... but it's a simple enough reason for federal standards instead of special california ones
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparbrian View Post
All,

Since California forced me to take my Stelvio in to get the ECU remapped to meet California emissions (I had to have the pink note just so I could register the vehicle) the stelvio drives like it is towing a boat behind it. The power is gone. I drove it like this for months now and it just sat in the back of my head how it just does not feel right. The other day my wife and I wanted to do a cheap controlled experiment for fun. We went to an airfield and tried a drag race. She drove a 2019 subaru forester and I drove the stelvio. 1/8 mile that is all. Well, the forester won time after time. Not by much (maybe by a bumper). We even tried a rolling execration test at 40, 60, and 80 mph. Still the forester was faster.
This really took the air out of my so to speak. So I took my Stelvio to the dealer to see if there was an issue with the car. I met to other couples there who had the same experience. The dealer said nothing is wrong but they have had multiple complaints about this issue.
We love the car and the styling but part of the whole package was the power it used to have.
Our solution turned out to be that we switched cars. The wife does not mind the lack of throttle response and the subaru gives me the acceleration I desire. The subaru has a torque curve adjust button that allows the driver to get most torque right away!
Anyway. Just venting. Still love the style and handling of the stelvio and the exclusivity.

Thanks for listening.

Eurocompulsion Phase 1 will fix this problem.

2019 Stelvio Vulcano Black w/ Red Interior / Remus Sport Exhaust / Eurocompulsion Phase 1 Tune w/ Throttle Tap (Pops & Bangs) /
2012 BMW X3 28i Deep Sea Blue Metallic w/ Beige Interior / Remus Race Exhaust / M Sport Grill / M Sport Wheels /
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 02:56 PM

Ouch. A 2019 Subaru Forester has a 0-60mph time of 9.6 sec. That is slow. So the software change made your Stelvio slower than that ? Not good at all.

2018 Base Stelvio - Vulcano Black / Chocolate Interior.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioF1 View Post
Ouch. A 2019 Subaru Forester has a 0-60mph time of 9.6 sec. That is slow. So the software change made your Stelvio slower than that ? Not good at all.

Seriously, my brain has a headache trying to comprehend the OP's situation. So the ECU recall added 5 entire seconds to the Stelvio's 0-60?

2019 Stelvio Vulcano Black w/ Red Interior / Remus Sport Exhaust / Eurocompulsion Phase 1 Tune w/ Throttle Tap (Pops & Bangs) /
2012 BMW X3 28i Deep Sea Blue Metallic w/ Beige Interior / Remus Race Exhaust / M Sport Grill / M Sport Wheels /
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 03:53 PM

The 2.0L engine 0-60 mph should be ~4.5 sec. From the Giula forum:

https://www.giuliaforums.com/threads...88/post-799526

And the Stelvio should be faster...

TI Lusso 22X-Trofeo tri-coat white/Cannelloni crema leather/dash leather/Assist Pckgs/HK Snd/8.8" 3D Nav/20" wheels/ACP. Arte e prestazione Italiane