Parking Sensor Issue - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 4Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Parking Sensor Issue

I've had my Stelvio for a month and this just started happening: When I come to a stop at an intersection in D (Engine Stop/Off). The parking sensor activates even though there is no car in front of me or behind me. The car graphic appears on the screen with a red warning area in front, audible beep and the words "please check entire surroundings," or words to that effect. Had to turn off Park Sense. Anyone have an idea what the problem is? Thanks.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassei1 View Post
I've had my Stelvio for a month and this just started happening: When I come to a stop at an intersection in D (Engine Stop/Off). The parking sensor activates even though there is no car in front of me or behind me. The car graphic appears on the screen with a red warning area in front, audible beep and the words "please check entire surroundings," or words to that effect. Had to turn off Park Sense. Anyone have an idea what the problem is? Thanks.
We certainly understand why this would be concerning, wassei1. If you're not able to determine a cause based on suggestions from fellow forum members, we recommend connecting with your local Alfa dealer as they are in the best position to provide assistance. If you end up working with your dealer for this, please know that we would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process. Our team is just a PM away.

Mark
AlfaRomeoCares
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Sounds like there might be some water in the sensor. I'm upset to say that these front parking sensors are SUPER sensitive to rain and water (after, say, a car wash). On my dry commute home yesterday, my front sensor kept tripping (with a constant tone). I had washed, dried and driven the car (with no sensor issue) two days prior. Of course when this happens, I pressed the "mute" button (above the stop/start), but that's only good until the next time you brake. You have to go into the AlfaConnect system to turn it off completely (which I normally don't want, but might be forced to if this issue persists).

When this happens to me, I ensure the front sensors are clear and dry (via leaf blower/microfiber/etc.). This seems to help.
wassei1 likes this.

2019 Stelvio QV, Misano Blue, Nero Edizione, Green Stitch
2005 4Runner Sport, V8
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOP_Drive View Post
Sounds like there might be some water in the sensor. I'm upset to say that these front parking sensors are SUPER sensitive to rain and water (after, say, a car wash). On my dry commute home yesterday, my front sensor kept tripping (with a constant tone). I had washed, dried and driven the car (with no sensor issue) two days prior. Of course when this happens, I pressed the "mute" button (above the stop/start), but that's only good until the next time you brake. You have to go into the AlfaConnect system to turn it off completely (which I normally don't want, but might be forced to if this issue persists).

When this happens to me, I ensure the front sensors are clear and dry (via leaf blower/microfiber/etc.). This seems to help.
Thank you for this reply. It makes perfect sense because I started to have the issue after I took it to my local car wash for the first time. There was a message on my steering wheel info screen about something blocking the sensors. When I checked, both sensors were clear and dry, but I wiped them down anyway. Didn't seem to make a difference though, so maybe the water got into the sensor behind the bumper.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeoCares View Post
We certainly understand why this would be concerning, wassei1. If you're not able to determine a cause based on suggestions from fellow forum members, we recommend connecting with your local Alfa dealer as they are in the best position to provide assistance. If you end up working with your dealer for this, please know that we would be more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of assistance for that process. Our team is just a PM away.

Mark
AlfaRomeoCares
Thank you for your reply. I will ask the dealer to check on it when I bring it in for regular servicing.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:42 PM

@wassei1 it happens when it rains (or car wash) or in a very hot day (front sensors false alarm). After they sensors get wet, you can dry them on the outside (as you did) but you still get the issue because evidently the water gets behind them and causes the problem. Once they are dry again, the sensors behave as expected. If you find that a software update helps or something else, let us know.
wassei1 likes this.

TI Lusso 22X-Trofeo tri-coat white/Cannelloni crema leather/dash leather/Assist Pckgs/HK Snd/8.8" 3D Nav/20" wheels/ACP. Arte e prestazione Italiane
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator1 View Post
@wassei1 it happens when it rains (or car wash) or in a very hot day (front sensors false alarm). After they sensors get wet, you can dry them on the outside (as you did) but you still get the issue because evidently the water gets behind them and causes the problem. Once they are dry again, the sensors behave as expected. If you find that a software update helps or something else, let us know.
Thanks for the reply. If I find a fix to the problem, I'll let everyone know. For now, I'm driving with the sensors turned off.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 12:30 AM

Quote:

Because of this issue, I've gone through two tow hook license plate holders. One expensive one that scratched my front bumper and kept falling sideways when I washed my car, and one inexpensive one that set off the front parking sensor. I went back to the dealership plate holder, I tightened the screws to the max and now when it rains hard the front parking sensor doesn't go off when I am at a red light or stop sign.
wassei1 likes this.

2019 Stelvio Vulcano Black w/ Red Interior / Remus Sport Exhaust / Eurocompulsion Phase 1 Tune w/ Throttle Tap (Pops & Bangs) /
2012 BMW X3 28i Deep Sea Blue Metallic w/ Beige Interior / Remus Race Exhaust / M Sport Grill / M Sport Wheels /
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 AM

I had the same issue with my factory front mounted plate holder. The dealer only used the top two screws to hold the plate. I put in the bottom two tightend it up, problem solved. I figured the plate was probably vibrating and setting it off.
wassei1 likes this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I will ask the dealer to check on it when I bring it in for regular servicing.
Hi wassei1,

Thank you for the heads up! If you're in need of any assistance when that time comes, we'd be happy to help.

Mark
AlfaRomeoCares

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page