I HATE my Stelvio - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 138Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

I HATE my Stelvio

I pretty much hate everything about this car, and couldnít regret leasing it more. Paying nearly $600 / month for a fully loaded Chrysler. Every part of this thing bothers me, from the way it drives, the engineering, and the technology.

This car is significantly under-powered. Even in ďdynamic modeĒ ... step on the gas, you get a 3-second delay until the ďturboĒ kicks in. Any other driving mode is so slow itís undrivable, assuming you want to stay with the flow of traffic. The acceleration is jerky and uncomfortable, and the shifting on the automatic is unbearable. I use the paddle shifters when going 0-30 just to accelerate smoothly.

I drove a 2007 Dodge Charger that had a nicer interior than this thing. Given the $52k price tag and looking at what models his vehicle allegedly competes with, itís a joke. Go take a look at the quality interior of a Lexus, Porsche, or any other manufacturer. My GMC Acadia Denali is literally 100 times nicer than this thing in terms of QUALITY, thoughtfulness, design, and convenience... oh, and COMFORT.
Yes, my red interior and faux-carbon fiber (sport package) looks cool at first, but spend some time and youíll realize itís a cheap Dodge interior, only worse. The infotainment center is so out-dated itís pathetic. No touch screen???Why is the reverse camera screen about 4 inches big with a camera quality that looks like a flip phone video? I have a Mitsubishi rental car with a better screen in terms of size, clarity, and functionality!!! The knob or whatever you call it is horrible. The upgraded sound system is horrible. The seats are hard and uncomfortable. The electronic gear shift knob (or whatever it is) is so bad and unintuitive... whoever thought of this should be fired. The NEVER ENDING FRONT SENSORS EVEN WHEN PARKED!!!! And the loudest and most relentless seatbelt chime in the history of the world (and if you turn up the radio volume, the chime volume also gets louder).

It seems like every single aspect of this carís interior was not only an afterthought, but untested prior to manufacture. Even something as little as the seat belt clip holder is insufficient. Every review I read about this vehicle did concede that the interior left something to be desired, but alleged that the driving experience made up for it. This is absolutely not the case. The car is loud, bumpy as ****, and drives like an SUV (not in a good way). The Giulia drives and handles WAY better. Itís like they took a good idea with the Giulia and tried to make it work on this thing, and it was a disaster. I would give anything to be back in my Lexus.

Counting down the months until my lease is up.
post #2 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 10:34 AM

most of your issues should have been apparent to you in a brief test drive - and many without even starting it.

so the obvious question is why did you lease something that you hated in the first place?
kuban, jm2, ALFATECH and 6 others like this.
post #3 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:21 AM

Garage
Alfa Romeo vs Toyota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor_city_stelvio View Post
I pretty much hate everything about this car, and couldn’t regret leasing it more. Paying nearly $600 / month for a fully loaded Chrysler. Every part of this thing bothers me, from the way it drives, the engineering, and the technology.

This car is significantly under-powered. Even in “dynamic mode” ... step on the gas, you get a 3-second delay until the “turbo” kicks in. Any other driving mode is so slow it’s undrivable, assuming you want to stay with the flow of traffic. The acceleration is jerky and uncomfortable, and the shifting on the automatic is unbearable. I use the paddle shifters when going 0-30 just to accelerate smoothly.

I drove a 2007 Dodge Charger that had a nicer interior than this thing. Given the $52k price tag and looking at what models his vehicle allegedly competes with, it’s a joke. Go take a look at the quality interior of a Lexus, Porsche, or any other manufacturer. My GMC Acadia Denali is literally 100 times nicer than this thing in terms of QUALITY, thoughtfulness, design, and convenience... oh, and COMFORT.
Yes, my red interior and faux-carbon fiber (sport package) looks cool at first, but spend some time and you’ll realize it’s a cheap Dodge interior, only worse. The infotainment center is so out-dated it’s pathetic. No touch screen???Why is the reverse camera screen about 4 inches big with a camera quality that looks like a flip phone video? I have a Mitsubishi rental car with a better screen in terms of size, clarity, and functionality!!! The knob or whatever you call it is horrible. The upgraded sound system is horrible. The seats are hard and uncomfortable. The electronic gear shift knob (or whatever it is) is so bad and unintuitive... whoever thought of this should be fired. The NEVER ENDING FRONT SENSORS EVEN WHEN PARKED!!!! And the loudest and most relentless seatbelt chime in the history of the world (and if you turn up the radio volume, the chime volume also gets louder).

It seems like every single aspect of this car’s interior was not only an afterthought, but untested prior to manufacture. Even something as little as the seat belt clip holder is insufficient. Every review I read about this vehicle did concede that the interior left something to be desired, but alleged that the driving experience made up for it. This is absolutely not the case. The car is loud, bumpy as ****, and drives like an SUV (not in a good way). The Giulia drives and handles WAY better. It’s like they took a good idea with the Giulia and tried to make it work on this thing, and it was a disaster. I would give anything to be back in my Lexus.

You made some valid points on the infotainmentment center, parking sensors and seat belt clip, for sure.
But if you can't feel the rush driving the car....what can I say? To me my Stelvio TI drives and handles brilliantly. A complete blast!

I guess some folks are just made for Toyota's.

2018 Stelvio TI Sport AWD Package 22S,, Driver Assistance Package, Dynamic Plus Package, HK Premium radio, 8.8" Bluetooth 3D Nav., Convenience Package, 19" dark hole aluminum wheels, - Vulcano Black Metallic/Red Interior -MFR Date: 6/2017.
post #4 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:38 AM

Garage
While I agree with many of your points about the tech/electronics in the vehicle, the part about loudness and driving dynamics is a real head scratcher. It sounds to me like you aren't really into a sporty vehicle but just want pure plush luxury. If that's the case then this vehicle is definitely not for you as that's not what it was intended to be.

2018 Stelvio Ti Sport
post #5 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:43 AM

Ever hear of something called a TEST DRIVE?

2018 Giulia TI AWD
Stromboli/ Tan
post #6 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 11:56 AM

Sell it, relax and live in peace please.
Everyone can and should express his own thoughts but remember that these will be YOUR thought and experience. Stelvio has something less in the infotainment section but nothing that can be so terrible as you painted. I've just lsigned my contract for my 70000Ä Stelvio and I did after doing not once, not twice but something like 10 tests drive. I own a Range Rover and I can tell you that leather in Stelvio have the same quality and also the infotainment in the RR has some big problem (lag after a command and the quality of the Meridian is not "a pro level audio" as they say in the brochures - and I am a recording and mixing engineer so, even I can chose my car by heart I judge an audio system with my ears).
I wish you can find your dream car that cost less and give you more good vibrations that your Stelvio, and sorry for my bad English...
Alfaholico, Flunx and vtcpbii like this.

...tramps like us baby we were born to run
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
post #7 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Man that sucks.

If you really have that much lag you have a problem. Otherwise, ehh. I've been driving turbo fours since the original VW 1.8t in the B5 passat....200k on that, and another 190k on the last gen 2.0T from VW both of which are the standard bearers/originators for the current turbo 4 crop of engines. Put probably 8k on the Ford and GM engines on rentals. This blows them away in terms of turbo lag, and ability to rev quickly. But there is lag.

Traffic, use the cruise it has probably the best programming in terms of smooth braking of any major manufacturer, and will go to full stop and bring you back up. If yours is not smooth...go to dealer and get it checked. Cause seriously I have at least 1k miles on mine between downtown Los Angeles and Palm Springs in rush hour traffic and it is unreal smooth, far better than my brother-in-law's XC90. Really it sounds like you have having a problem with your tranny/engine computer systems.

The parking sensor beep sucks.

The volume of warning beeps can be set in menu under settings, it might not be able to draw on it, but the infotainment system does allow you to adjust many of the settings.

Interior..funny I look at the new Porsche's and see the same dash plastics and switch gear as a 20k Jetta....BMW, Land Rover, Jag...hollow cheap thin plastics, Audi, same thing. Then dont get me started on the 10 to 15 different textures, various shades of colors that vary slightly from one plastic piece to the next. Most interiors (especially GM) make my OCD go into overtime. The Alfa? Nope..all the colors and textures match..awesome.

Touchscreen...rather not have it. Rather not have an infortainment system, rather have the ability to install it all myself, but no one will let me do a stereo delete option anymore.

IMO all the factory upgraded stereos are junk. Yes I have heard most of them. Have you heard a 20k aftermarket system with 1500 watts of pure class A amplification from Brax/Helix running Morel 3 way speakers with handmade custom crossovers, 2 8" Jl audio w7's up front and a single 12 in the trunk? All setup with custom eq curves, phase and time correction? Everything else sucks.......but the HK is alright once you get used to slumming it.

Tranny seems smooth to me, but what do I know? After I lemoned out my VW Eos V6 because the DSG broke the 2,4,6 cogs repeatedly under hard driving (and had to remove that amazing stereo system), I have been manual only for the last 8 years. However the Stelvio shifts very similarly the BMW's and MBZ's my friend's drive, and smoother than I remember my '05 Land Rover LR3 being. It is more positive, however it is programmed to be similar to a sequential, which is more positive feeling due to the presence of an actual clutch plate sooo....

However I will say the brakes, tranny and steering all took some adjustment to how I drive in order to get everything smooth. Things were jerky until I changed my habits on how I operate the controls. Some people may think that is a problem with the car, however IMO it is not.

Other than the Stelvio my favorite car has been the '07 Porsche Boxster I put 50k on in 4 years. I had to change alot about how I drove to get the most out of the Porsche, smoothness on the steering gas and brakes into, and out of, corners became incredibly important since the mid-engine layout rotates differetly through corners than a regular front engine car. I had to change how I entered and steered through the corner or I found myself missing the apex. Never thought that was a problem with the car....my smoothness issues with the Stelvio have been dealt with the same way. But that is me and thankfully we are all different.

Whatever your opinion is very valid in your life, and it sucks you hate your Stelvio.
Sorry, I had an 03 BMW 330CI once felt the same way about...always wanted a BMW till I bought one..sold in in 6 months. Too heavy feeling, boring to drive under 100, tailights and CD player kept braking..sucked.

Hope you can get into something you like better before your lease is up. You realize a lease can be traded in like any other car....
Alfaholico and Flunx like this.

2018 Stelvio 2.0T AWD

Opinions on Automobiles
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPc...CMdK6vlFLuSWLQ
post #8 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:34 PM

That is too bad. I must say that I LOVE my Stelvio!!!!

Coolest thing ever, I do say my only complaint is I am not a fan of the HK sound system. But I plan to get that changed in the fall when I get more time. I have had the Chev BOSE and it was **** as well in my Yukons.

I do love the simple part of the infotainment, I use the mirrors to park and the camera is perfect to me. I plug my phone in and the music is there, SAT radio as well, I never use the NAV or any other stuff so to me the simple is exactly what I wanted. I could not handle the complex of the Jag, or the mass amounts of buttons in the Porshe Macan.

I have never owned a exotic car but this Stelvio I can take ramps and roads at some serious speed and I feel it just sticks and I feel super confident in the ride and handling.

Seats are perfect fit, love the steering wheel and its clear vision with no giant pillars blocking the view.

Maybe ask if your dealer can trade it in for a new Dodge for you. No use having months of unhappy driving when it can go to a happy new owner who will love it.

I get excited and happy each and every time I pick up that key fob to go for a drive in mine
kuban, Alfaholico and kona2000 like this.
post #9 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 12:49 PM

Dude is mental....I f....ing LOVE my TI Sport. Best car I have ever owned in 57 years
kuban, Pizzaracer and Alfaholico like this.
post #10 of 97 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor_city_stelvio View Post
I pretty much hate everything about this car, and couldnít regret leasing it more. Paying nearly $600 / month for a fully loaded Chrysler. Every part of this thing bothers me, from the way it drives, the engineering, and the technology.

This car is significantly under-powered. Even in ďdynamic modeĒ ... step on the gas, you get a 3-second delay until the ďturboĒ kicks in. Any other driving mode is so slow itís undrivable, assuming you want to stay with the flow of traffic. The acceleration is jerky and uncomfortable, and the shifting on the automatic is unbearable. I use the paddle shifters when going 0-30 just to accelerate smoothly.

I drove a 2007 Dodge Charger that had a nicer interior than this thing. Given the $52k price tag and looking at what models his vehicle allegedly competes with, itís a joke. Go take a look at the quality interior of a Lexus, Porsche, or any other manufacturer. My GMC Acadia Denali is literally 100 times nicer than this thing in terms of QUALITY, thoughtfulness, design, and convenience... oh, and COMFORT.
Yes, my red interior and faux-carbon fiber (sport package) looks cool at first, but spend some time and youíll realize itís a cheap Dodge interior, only worse. The infotainment center is so out-dated itís pathetic. No touch screen???Why is the reverse camera screen about 4 inches big with a camera quality that looks like a flip phone video? I have a Mitsubishi rental car with a better screen in terms of size, clarity, and functionality!!! The knob or whatever you call it is horrible. The upgraded sound system is horrible. The seats are hard and uncomfortable. The electronic gear shift knob (or whatever it is) is so bad and unintuitive... whoever thought of this should be fired. The NEVER ENDING FRONT SENSORS EVEN WHEN PARKED!!!! And the loudest and most relentless seatbelt chime in the history of the world (and if you turn up the radio volume, the chime volume also gets louder).

It seems like every single aspect of this carís interior was not only an afterthought, but untested prior to manufacture. Even something as little as the seat belt clip holder is insufficient. Every review I read about this vehicle did concede that the interior left something to be desired, but alleged that the driving experience made up for it. This is absolutely not the case. The car is loud, bumpy as ****, and drives like an SUV (not in a good way). The Giulia drives and handles WAY better. Itís like they took a good idea with the Giulia and tried to make it work on this thing, and it was a disaster. I would give anything to be back in my Lexus.

I respect your opinion and like almost all others have already commented i understand all your gripes related to cheap material, outdated infotainment system, overpriced etc. You did however forget to mention that no matter what you do you will rub part of your calf/shin on the door sill when entering and especially exiting the car. I find this especially annoying. I also think in its current form the best option is a Lease.

But i am baffled about your dislike of the driving experience itself!!!! Having that much lag in a modern turbo is a definite problem that needs to be looked at. Having said that i think the Stelvio is pretty good for a heavy stock 4 cylinder SUV/CUV. Actually its pretty amazing.
Alfaholico likes this.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page