Here's the deal:
1. Leased a Stelvio in May 2018. I only considered cars with Apple Carplay. All advertising at the time showed Stelvio will have Apple Carplay as an option
2. Both Salesman and GM told me the Apple Carplay software upgrade is coming next month and they will reach out.
3. Hear nothing the following month so I follow up the month after assuming they overestimated the upgrade date. Find out my salesperson is no longer with the dealership and leave a message with the GM. No call back.
4. Happen to have a recall appointment the following month. I ask the Service Advisor if the Apple Carplay upgrade is ready. He checks my VIN and says he's not sure, but his computer shows my VIN as not "upgradeable" to Apple Carplay. I ask for the GM. He's with a customer but I can't wait so I tell service to have him call me. I also leave a message with GM directly.
5. GM calls me back a few days later. He tells me he is going to check with corporate to find out what the deal is because "that's what they told us" basically admitting he thought my Stelvio was upgradeable.
6. Two weeks later I still haven't heard from him so I follow up. He tells me "corporate hasn't called him back." Ridiculous. So I ask him for the number and said I'll call corporate myself. Turns out it's only FCA (parent company) customer service! I explain my situation anyways and during the call (recorded) she tells me that although she understands my situation, it's not entirely the dealership's fault because and I quote "we came out late with some information". Then she says all I can do is write a letter to the VP of Operations.
7. So I write my letter to the VP of Operations as well as the President of Alfa Romeo,Timothy Kuniskis, demanding one of two options. Either retrofit Apple Carplay in my current Stelvio or get me into a different Stelvio with Apple Carplay.
8. A couple of weeks later someone who works for the president calls me and says she is going to work with the dealership on a solution to try and get me into a different Stelvio with Apple Carplay using "employee pricing". Long story short, there was no solution as the dealership couldn't work anything out because of negative equity!
9. So I spoke with several attorneys on my options. And at this point, my only solution is to never drive an Alfa Romeo again. Like most of us, I signed an arbitration agreement with the dealership saying I agree to handle all disputes via an arbitrator versus in court.
10. So the first option is arbitration. However, before I go to Arbitration, attorney advises me to try and work my only solution with the dealership directly.
11. So I email the two GM's and of course the Dealer owner emails me saying he'd like some time to work a solution. I reiterate I am only interested in getting out of my lease contract and returning the car and give him one week, since it's now December 2018.
12. Dealership owner emails me back saying he has a couple of options for me that his dealership and Alfa Romeo corporate put together, but my only acceptable option is not one of them. Now they want to work something out. The fact that they have two options for me shows they know what is at risk when I go to arbitration. So I am moving to Arbitration.
13. Why am I posting this? Because of the other option my attorney wants to do. Class action against both the dealerships and Alfa Romeo for auto dealer fraud and false advertising. I already committed to leading it. If interested, shoot me an email at [email protected]
. Just need your full name, when and where you purchased your Alfa Romeo and a quick paragraph describing what you were told about Apple Carplay being in your car. Momentum has already started!
14. In the meantime, I'll keep you all updated on my arbitration....