Winter driving horrible - Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Winter driving horrible

What am I doing wrong, help please. I ha e perelli s option winter tires and Stelvii AWD. My car was sliding down driveway and was all over the road. Backend fishtailed.
I had it in dynamic mode from dry roads previous day. I switched it to N and it was a little better but not much.

All the Veela and whistles deactivated. From crash deactivitayed and sensors didn’t work and then the car said to look around my environment for object. Just because of snowflakes. Can someone help me here, please. My VW Tiguan with Blizzaks never slipped. : (
post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM

which Pirelli's?
where are you, ice? deep snow?

Blizzaks are severe winter tires, good for ice and very cold.
your Pirelli's might be for milder conditions and climate, cold rain to light snow.
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I’m in Syracuse, NY. The Perrlli Scorpions are supposed to be fir this climate and they cost a lot. It’s lake effect, a little slushy. Blizzacks didn’t fit the 20inch rims. I was told this car ROCKs I. The snow. I’m scared to drive it it’s so nice, and I heard from others how great it is in the snow.
post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:50 AM

hmm, I put scorpions on mine too, but was away when boston area had it's only real snow.

I've seen them in videos, and they seemed more than up to the task - try A mode, it will likely make you more happy in those conditions

lotsa snow, normal driving, why I bought them (thanks Marzio)

fair amount of snow, fast driving
mc3456 likes this.
post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:33 AM

I made my silly little video and have Pirelli Scorpions on, this is definitely not a tire issue unless you received some really bad tires, or possibly not the correct tires? Did you check to make sure they are really Scorpions?

I just don't see how you could accidentally get the car to slide in N, with winter tires. In D, sure a little if you are going all out, but even then you have to try to fishtail the vehicle.

lost1750GTV and LeoManiaX like this.
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:09 PM

I didn't remember what tires you have, Jay-ten, but that was a great little demonstration of modes.

that being said, everyone has a different tolerance for "slip", and maybe coming from front wheel drive bias to rear bias, and "expecting" only understeer always, to feeling the back end do anything, will take some getting used to for some people.
hunter, maybe play in a parking lot to get used to the different feel, maybe have someone watch to see how much you actually slip (might be a lot less than you think) before the electronics apply corrections.
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:13 PM

I'd agree with @Jay-Ten , I have scorpions and on freshly snow covered roads in "A" mode the car knew how far it could push and wouldn't allow me to accelerate any faster. My experience mirrors the one in the video above. Maybe it was icier than it looked.
post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

You all are wonderful! Thanks so much and I even learned Italian from the videos. : )
So....the car was in D when it fishtailed. And in D when it slid all the way down my driveway. That was surprising. When I got a clue and switched to N it was better.
They are definitely Pirelli but great idea, I will check to make sure they’re scorpion.
What about the safety features disengaging with snowflakes and beeps going off telling me to check my environment. It was only snowflakes. Said super sensir was covered.
Thanks so much!!
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Ahhhh. Ok. I called my service guy! These are scorpions. BUT! This is lake effect snow and it’s slushy. He said he has an amazing 4x4 with snowtutes and he was all over the road. It’s a yucky day and he’s not surprised. Lake effect/slush is no joke. I’ll wait to make my decision on a different snow day. I’ll also practice and keep it in N not D. I do love this car.
post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM

In that case, definitely practice. It'll make you safer and it's fun. Can you describe more what you mean by the safety features disengaging? Are you talking about the stability control? Or the automatic braking for obstacles thing?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page