Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum

Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum (https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/)
-   Alfa Romeo Stelvio Versus the Competition (https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/54-alfa-romeo-stelvio-versus-competition/)
-   -   Audi Q5 vs Stelvio Ti (https://www.stelvioforum.com/forum/54-alfa-romeo-stelvio-versus-competition/10063-audi-q5-vs-stelvio-ti.html)

tipo949 02-06-2019 11:19 PM

Audi Q5 vs Stelvio Ti

While my car is is the shop, I was pleasantly surprised that the rental car company that the dealer uses had an Audi Q5 ready for me

2018 Stelvio 9k miles
2018 Audi Q5 13k miles

Much better standard radio than my HK upgrade in my Stelvio
Stop/start is much smoother with the Audi

Dislikes:
Slower and sluggish
Handled like a Lincoln Continental (well, almost)
Not as nimble as the Stelvio
Front seats had little support. Perfect for soccer moms.

VERDICT: Stelvio TI wins!

JimW 02-06-2019 11:57 PM

tipo949, nice to know. Not surprised the Audi radio was better but was surprised the handling wasn't that good. That's why I bought the Stelvio, performance and handling.

williaty 02-07-2019 12:18 AM

We test drove a Q5 during the round of shopping that led to the Stelvio. Both of us were actually surprised how much the ride in the Q5 was like the ride in our tractor. That's not a compliment.

Knightofargh 02-07-2019 07:11 AM

If you think the Q5 is like a tractor you should go test drive e a Mercedes GLC. It was like driving a well appointed couch.

Matt-Helm 02-07-2019 07:43 AM

I traded in a 2018 SQ5 for my Stelvio Quad.

ViscontiVerde 164L* 02-07-2019 08:33 AM

Q5=yawn

Alfabreath 02-07-2019 10:22 PM

Audi=BORING

tipo949 02-07-2019 11:36 PM

oops.

I left out the microscopic paddle shifters on the Q5. I mean real small.

It's as if they installed them as an afterthought.

edf 02-08-2019 09:34 PM

My last car was a 2014 Q5 premium plus,best part of it was the stereo and the quality of the interior.Drove the new 2018 Q5 and the interior quality is not nearly as good as it was,although it looks nice.

Much rather have my Stelvio

ALFAOFFROAD 02-09-2019 04:25 AM

If the Audi didn't have a nice stereo and nifty interior...no one would buy it.

The platform dates to 2008 with minimal changes. It is built on the B9 platform (MLBevo) which is shared with the A4 and A5 and one of the bragging points is it uses an "overhung" engine placement. That means due to design requirements, the engine has to be mounted mostly in front of the front axles which results in horrible driving dynamics. However those amazing Audi engineers are able to finesse shock rates and angles, play with traction control and AWD algorithms and manage to make it drive pretty good considering. Considering the entire thing is a compromise.....unlike the Stelvio which was engineered for the mechanicals first and the design packaging second.

Means the stereo isn't as good, but the drive is significantly better.

IMO an aftermarket system kills anything in the Audi, but I would never drive an Audi long enough to want to install one...I think I am going to be buried in the Stelvio, so eventually it will have the stereo to rule all stereos and until then the drive is more than enough.