Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Days since car problems - 0 馃が

Took a rock to the windshield on 101, resulting in an 8 inch crack.

Anyone in NorCal have suggestions / costing information?

Thanks,
TSI

Registered
This is a yearly past time here in New Mexico. I added ExoShield to mine after replacing with OEM glass. Basically an opticially clear plastic film (think phone screen protector). I believe it makes it 6+ times more resistant to rock cracks and chips. So far it's worked.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
These are the parts quotes from 3 dealerships in the bay area. Labor extra.
I wonder why the MSRP of the same windshield is $700 more at one of the dealerships.

Maybe @AlfaRomeoCares has an idea as to why?

Registered
2020 Stelvio TI Silver Red/Black
I was on the highway yesterday and a pebble hit my windshield. It's about a half inch chip. Going to Safelite today to have it fixed or see if I need a windshield replacement. Sucks because I've only driven my Stelvio less than 800 miles!

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I was on the highway yesterday and a pebble hit my windshield. It's about a half inch chip. Going to Safelite today to have it fixed or see if I need a windshield replacement. Sucks because I've only driven my Stelvio less than 800 miles!
Oh man! Sorry to hear that - I fully understand how you feel.

Would using an aftermarket windshield void any warranties? Or can Alfa, at a later date, blame the aftermarket windshield for any issues that may arise?

Registered
Oh man! Sorry to hear that - I fully understand how you feel.

Would using an aftermarket windshield void any warranties? Or can Alfa, at a later date, blame the aftermarket windshield for any issues that may arise?
Thanks. Worst part is it's in my line of sight. Safelite said if the chip doesn't shrink in the next few days they'll call in someone to replace the windshield with an OEM one and have it calibrated. Luckily it's all covered under my insurance no deductible.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Worst part is it's in my line of sight. Safelite said if the chip doesn't shrink in the next few days they'll call in someone to replace the windshield with an OEM one and have it calibrated. Luckily it's all covered under my insurance no deductible.
Yeah mine too - no deductible for Safelite,
But my car is too new to go with an aftermarket solution. Not comfortable with that. Have read some horror stories about leaks in their reviews.

Registered
But my car is too new to go with an aftermarket solution. Not comfortable with that. Have read some horror stories about leaks in their reviews.
So what are the options? Have an Alfa service shop replace the windshield? Mine is a 2020 with 1,200 miles on it so I don't want any issues either.

No leaks or any other problems with my Safelite non-oem replacement after more than a year. And it rains a lot in the winter here in Oregon. My Stelvio was only a couple of months old when the rock hit the windshield.

My base Stelvio has none of the fancy features that might involve sensors looking through the windshield. So it's likely that for me leaks would be the only possible problem.

I purchased my Stelvio with the intention of keeping it a long time. So I'm not concerned with lease returns, or resale values. Nor do I care about an Alfa Romeo logo on the glass, as long as it just works. Which it has so far.

Registered
Safelite is ordering OEM windshield from dealership and no deductible with my insurance. Hoping for the best!

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
As our dealerships are independently owned and operated, fees are at the discretion of our dealers.

Alison
AlfaRomeoCares
I can understand about fees, but the prices I posted above are MSRP of the windshield based on my VIN before any dealership fees.

Why would MSRP of the OEM windshield differ if it鈥檚 coming from Alfa itself?

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Safelite is ordering OEM windshield from dealership and no deductible with my insurance. Hoping for the best!
Oh nice! Does Safelite also do the camera calibration after the new windshield is installed? Also, Which state are you located in?

Registered
2020 AR Stelvio sport Silverstone/red interior
I think there is more folks out there having the same issue with weak alpha windshield. My 2006 accord took a rock a size of half egg and survived it. I used to put 40k on the car back in the days and had many instances where the windshield should have been covered with spider web. Must be the Japanese engineering behind it 馃槣

Registered
The Windshield can crack easier because it is a structural memeber.

The engineering behind doing this is incontestablly the greatest engineering ever conceived by humankind. Better than anything the japanese could possibly muster.

....cause it was started by the Germans....back in the late 90's.....Honda was just late to the superior engineering game..

SUPERIOR!!!!!!! TEUTONIC!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts