Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

Registered
I'm currently on my 3rd front windshield and have put around 18K miles on my QV since buying it new in 2018. For reference, I've lived in the same state and driven the same routes for over 20 yrs with several cars and the Stelvio is the only one I've ever needed to replace a windshield (2 actually) for.

Seems to be a "thing" with our Stelvios.

Registered
Dealerships vary in regards to markups. I鈥檝e worked for a few different ones. Funny, but the first was the best. Their parts policy was to maintain a 30% profit margin. BUT, they had a sliding scale regarding markups. Anything under a certain amount was doubled, but their upper end was only marked up by 15%. What I gave seen lately is a 100% markup regardless of their cost. To add insult to injury, the dealers are using the markup even though the parts aren鈥檛 in stock! They are doubling the prucd and then ordering the parts in. They have no overhead to justify the markup! All they have is a dealer network that won鈥檛 tell or break away. This is all true!

Registered
Dealerships vary in regards to markups. I鈥檝e worked for a few different ones. Funny, but the first was the best. Their parts policy was to maintain a 30% profit margin. BUT, they had a sliding scale regarding markups. Anything under a certain amount was doubled, but their upper end was only marked up by 15%. What I gave seen lately is a 100% markup regardless of their cost. To add insult to injury, the dealers are using the markup even though the parts aren鈥檛 in stock! They are doubling the prucd and then ordering the parts in. They have no overhead to justify the markup! All they have is a dealer network that won鈥檛 tell or break away. This is all true!
Sorry for my poor spelling. I didn鈥檛 proof my comment.

Registered
Days since car problems - 0 馃が

Took a rock to the windshield on 101, resulting in an 8 inch crack.

Anyone in NorCal have suggestions / costing information?

Thanks,
TSI
Maybe things are different in Cali(I鈥檓 sure they are). But the 3 or 4 insurance companies that I have used pay for the replacement. That charge has never caused a spike to my premium. I have a hard time contemplating the idea of Cali insurance companies being allowed to not pay for a replacement or to raise rates due to a windshield claim. The claim would be completely about safety.

Registered
I had the back window shattered about 9 months ago. No body damage, just broken glass. Had a very good 3rd party body shop do the glass for roughly half the price of the dealer, and it is OEM glass...had to wait a couple of weeks for the OEM glass, gasket kit, etc.

Registered
2020 Stelvio TI Silver Red/Black
@Shark71 Did you get your windshield fixed?

I got turned away two times already - the dealership has no ETA for when the new windshield will arrive. 馃が
The OEM windshield came in Monday, but it was for a Stelvio without forward collision warning so useless for my vehicle. I was not happy. I was told the correct OEM windshield should be here by Saturday. Sorry to hear about your experience at the dealership. I would try Safelite they are reputable and stand behind their work.

Registered
A good body shop can get oem faster that the dealer... a lot of dealers will sub out glass work to a body shop. When my rear window was broken out of my Stelvio Safe-lite couldn't handle it. I went to a Houston area body shop certified to work on BMW, Mercedes, Audi and more, asked them and they had no problem....ordered oem, a bit of a wait as it had to come from Europe... a few weeks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
The OEM windshield came in Monday, but it was for a Stelvio without forward collision warning so useless for my vehicle. I was not happy. I was told the correct OEM windshield should be here by Saturday. Sorry to hear about your experience at the dealership. I would try Safelite they are reputable and stand behind their work.
I鈥檓 going through Safelite as well!
When I asked the dealer about the windshield install, they said they will outsource the actual install anyway, so bit the bucket and went with Safelite and asked for the OEM windshield.

I asked them to order the new OEM part number based on my VIN. So whenever it gets here, hopefully it will be the correct one. 馃

Registered
When I asked the dealer about the windshield install, they said they will outsource the actual install anyway, so bit the bucket and went with Safelite and asked for the OEM windshield.

I asked them to order the new OEM part number based on my VIN. So whenever it gets here, hopefully it will be the correct one. 馃
Oh ok. So we will see how our experience is with Safelite when it's all said and done. They also have someone come in to recalibrate which I am hoping is done correctly. So far my experience with them has not been great. :rolleyes: I'll keep you posted!

Registered

Oh ok. So we will see how our experience is with Safelite when it's all said and done. They also have someone come in to recalibrate which I am hoping is done correctly. So far my experience with them has not been great. :rolleyes: I'll keep you posted!

Registered
Apple update is scrambling my cookies! Sorry about my posting problems. I worked in dealerships since 1979. I鈥檓 not anymore, though. I started by doing trim and electrical work. When J started we were still using butyl tape to hold the windshield in, though the light duty trucks actually used something like a weatherstrip, with a plastic molding that would tension the strip for a good seal. These methods were not good for holding front seat passengers in the vehicle when in a wreck. Bodies could and would pop the windshield out as they hit. Then the factories switched to urethane. Great! Easy to cut, because the butyl would get gummy, but it was also easy to scrape the paint from the windshield frame. I always used a primer that was supposed to seal the bare metal and improve the adhesion with the urethane. That was and still is important. The dealers started using outside glass companies to replace the windshields because the insurance companies didn鈥檛 want to even pay us the warranty flat rate time to do the job. That is why we are in this place when it comes to windshield replacement. So what I getting at long windedly, is to watch the removal and look for any spots where the knife scraped paint off. Once the glass is in, it鈥檚 done. If the new bead of urethane didn鈥檛 cover and adhere to the metal, that will become a rust point.

Registered
@thesassyindian

New CORRECT windshield has arrived! Getting replaced Friday morning. I will let you know how it goes. Any status on yours? Also, have you or anyone else in this thread bought the pre-paid maintenance plan 4 year/40K mile? If so, did you get a good deal and buy it online or at a dealership?

Registered
Discussion Starter #38
@thesassyindian

New CORRECT windshield has arrived! Getting replaced Friday morning. I will let you know how it goes. Any status on yours? Also, have you or anyone else in this thread bought the pre-paid maintenance plan 4 year/40K mile? If so, did you get a good deal and buy it online or at a dealership?
Lucky you!! I have NO ETA on my windshield :(

Yeah given how many miles I drive, I got the 40k service pack included in my purchase. I鈥檓 3 months in, and just crossed 7500mi :)

Registered
Lucky you!! I have NO ETA on my windshield :(

Yeah given how many miles I drive, I got the 40k service pack included in my purchase. I鈥檓 3 months in, and just crossed 7500mi :)
Wow it should not take that long with Safelite! I would inquire every week. Do you know if you can buy the plan online or do you have to go to a dealership? 1st maintenance is included so how does that work?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts