Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of 0-60 mph times are you guys getting?
What is the best launching procedure?
What are you using to measure 0-60 times?

I tried leaving from a idle and got turbo lag. :-(
I have read that you brake torque to 2500 rpm and count to 3. GO!
One magazine got a 3.3 going up to 3500 rpm *tires started to spin

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have never timed myself but i would have to believe that one magazine. These cars are wicked quick, the other day i was merging onto the fwy and before i knew it i was doing over 100 mph within what seemed like seconds. Also i have never had turbo lag with this car.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Brake Boosting to around 2800 - 3000 RPM.
Dragy is the measuring tool of choice these days I believe.

Which Magazine article mentions holding the brake to 3500?

Temperature is a big factor as we are stalling against a really tight converter with a small engine and Relatively Large turbos.
Cold air helps to build boost but hurts traction.

*** I would avoid doing multiples of these brake boosted launches back to back without knowing your Transmission Temp as this puts substantial heat into the torque converter.

I am amazed that the Factory Alfa programming even allows this.

I wish they had also given us 2WD (for burnouts) and a line lock at the flip of a switch.
Maybe a Tuner is working on something like that as we speak. :)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
if you want to find optimal launch rpm, you need to do back to back runs to eliminate road/temp variations - and should look at your 0-20 times as that removes your 1st shift from the equation.
get that down and then optimal rpm for shift points.

but as noted above, not too back to back as heat is a mechanical enemy. and then there's cumulative stress on a lot of parts.

·
Registered
126 Posts
0-60 Zero to Sixty

With Near perfect conditions this morning I wanted to give it another try.

0-60 - 3.55
0-60 - 3.36 With industry standard 1ft Rollout
1/4 Mile 11.83
1/8 Mile 7.56

Supercar Numbers, and Drag Racing is not even its strength. You gotta Love these things!

I also did some data logging and testing through the OBD2 port and found that it was making between 18 and 20 PSIG of Peak Boost.
I read somewhere that they were making 30PSI when I was researching them but I was pretty sure that had to be BS.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Brake Boosting to around 2800 - 3000 RPM.
Dragy is the measuring tool of choice these days I believe.
Which Magazine article mentions holding the brake to 3500?
we are stalling against a really tight converter
I use Dragy.
I stalled to 2000 rpm and got a 3.6 sec 0-60 mph
I tried 2500 and the tires started to spin.
I have Turbo Lag below 2500 rpms. :sad
Car and Driver launched at 3500 rpm to get 3.3
Road & Track also got 3.3
The torque converter is not tight compared to the old days when you were lucky to get to 1000 rpm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

0-60 - 3.55
1/4 Mile 11.83
1/8 Mile 7.56

Supercar Numbers, and Drag Racing is not even its strength. You gotta Love these things!

I also did some data logging and testing through the OBD2 port and found that it was making between 18 and 20 PSIG of Peak Boost.
I read somewhere that they were making 30PSI when I was researching them but I was pretty sure that had to be BS.
Great times!
35 psi max boost is what is advertised. Not sure if they achieve that though.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
At least I was able to get the 3.6 that Alfa Romeo advertises.
I really want the 3.3 though. Is Race mode the one to use?

I tried 2500 rpm and the tires started to break traction and the Stelvio wanted to move forward before I let off the brake pedal.
Maybe I needed to apply more brake pressure.
I have serious Turbo Lag below 2500 rpms. :sad After that...Hold on!

·
Registered
167 Posts

0-60 - 3.55
1/4 Mile 11.83
1/8 Mile 7.56

Great times!
35 psi max boost is what is advertised. Not sure if they achieve that though.
I hope the tiny 2.9 engine doesn't get 35 psi of max boost.....I can't imagine the kind of stresses on the crankshaft, connecting rods and pistons with that kind of boost....almost twice of the boost values of the Macan's engine....although if you are going to get 510 hp from a 2.9 l engine ......

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
"really want the 3.3"

with that in mind, and remembering it wasn't the magazines car, so they may have given it a hard day trying to find optimum, ignoring wear/stress issues ....
follow their 3500 example.
I would suggest R mode, as you do not want the engine cutting power. Rely on the Q4 to get the best traction where you are - which might not be as good as they had at a dragstrip.
I would let the car handle the shifting, the 1-2 shift comes pretty quick in manual. Unless you get so close it hurts in auto, using manual will just make it harder to be consistently right.

of course be sure you are in a proper and safe location.

caveats - I don't do this with mine (snow/ice/rain testing aside) but have my done my share of race starts with (mostly) bikes and cars.

·
Registered
126 Posts
2.9 Quad Power and Boost

For grins I ran the basic engine parameters through Turbocalc to see how much of a stretch it would be to get 510 Flywheel HP out of these things.

There is nothing exact about the simple program but it has always been Very Close on everything I've used it on over ~20 years.

The actual boost pressure is 20 regardless of any magazine article or video nonsense you might have read or seen.

20 PSIG or Guage is equal to approx. 35PSI absolute but the boost pressure is just 20 and saying it any other way just overcomplicates a very simple and accepted measurement!

First one is 20 and then I Bumped it to 25 and 30 followed by a 7500 RPM screamer just for grins. ???

I'm betting the turbos will become asthmatic at 25psi but with an upgrade .......... sign me up for that 770 ! :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
"The actual boost pressure is 20 regardless of any magazine article or video nonsense you might have read or seen.'

some people get fixated on how much the air has to get compressed to give the desired input boost.
yes, thin air has to be compressed more ....and that's the point of having a turbo, to give a controlled intake pressure.

"the boost pressure is just 20"

you know you are old and the word "just" stands out as an odd way to describe 20 pounds!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Stelvio Quadrifoglio is able to squeeze out a fairly absurd 510 horsepower from its high revving Ferrari-derived
2.9 liter 90° 24 valve V6 engine thanks to a pair of highly pressurized (35psi) turbochargers. That gives it an output of 176 horsepower per liter.
An engine derived from the multiple-IEOTYA-winning Ferrari F154 V8 unit.
The F154 engine in the Quadrofoglio loses two cylinders from the Ferrari unit, but retains the 90° cylinder angle, the 3.405 or 86.5mm bore, 3.228 or 82.0mm stroke and dual IHI-sourced single-scroll turbochargers. Max. Engine Speed 7,400 rpm

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are the Dyno sheets. I'm assuming it was using 91 octane gas. (I use 93 octane)
As you can see they shut it down at 6500 rpm with it still climbing.
They have have stated 7500 rpm max. (I know mine shifts at over 7000)
Who knows what the HP would have been if they had went all the way to 7500.
With the w/in 2% rule they could have advertised the HP as 514.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts