Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2018 Stelvio passed 10K miles and I scheduled an appointment with the dealership for the included 10K maintenance interval. They just called me and said they'd checked their records and they already performed the 10K service.

Turns out that at less than 5K miles, I had a 'change oil' light came on and brought it in. They performed an oil change at the time. It was free under warranty.

Now they're telling me that the service they did back then counts as my free 10K service, and they're asking me to pay $690 for the 10K service.

Looking at the $0 receipt from back at 5K miles, it shows about a half-hour of work for the oil change, but does include a $75 line item for "Alfa Romeo 1st Service".

Am I getting scammed here? I feel like the service at 5K was related to a warranty service issue, and was not the 10K maintenance. And the funny part is I called them to schedule the 10K service when it was at about 9,800 miles, and they told me they don't do it early.

By the way, I'm a glutton for punishment: in addition to our 2018 Stelvio, we have a 2019 Guilia. I've had service nightmares with the Stelvio (the dreaded battery issue, the oil thing), but at 500 miles, the Giulia has been rock solid so far.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
If you had brought your car in at 5000 miles for the free oil change they would have said you were 4500 miles too early for it.
I would expect that the oil change light was based on one year, yours if you owned it close to that long, theirs if it sat on the lot unsold for most of a year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you had brought your car in at 5000 miles for the free oil change they would have said you were 4500 miles too early for it.
I would expect that the oil change light was based on one year, yours if you owned it close to that long, theirs if it sat on the lot unsold for most of a year.
Oh, that's interesting -- so it's triggered by either time or miles? Makes sense. They could have just told me that at the time. I bought this 2018 at the very end of the year, so it was on their lot for a while. Now I feel even more cheated. The 10K service checks all the fluids, belts, tires, etc., which probably wasn't necessary at 5K but might be at 10K.

He also told me today that the next service is almost due, which made no sense to me at all -- unless, of course, they're calculating based on time. We're about a year since the 5K service.

Thanks for this. Not sure what to do about it, but I appreciate it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I got my 2019 about 11 months after date of manufacture. My change oil light (based on the time) came on after only about 1,500 or so miles. Got my free first service with no issue. I can't believe they are telling you that you have to wait until 10k when it would be $$ in their pockets. Since I knew this would happen in advance, I worked it into the nego of the car---not much diff, but every little thing counts to save some $$. Also, the $690 they quoted you for an actual 10k service is a total rip off IMO. Based on other threads in here, it should be less than half that. Do you have another AR dealer near you? If so, I'd suggest calling them.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
DIY @15K.
The 1 yr thing is complete BS IMHO unless you live in the humid south or rainforests and only run to the grocery store. 1 good hour long drive gets all that oil well cycled thru the filter all oil up to temps etc. I have ignored time based service intervals for 20 years. My low mileage rides got done every 2 years which may have been 3-5K miles. NEVER any issues EVER!
Auto folks have had to first let go of the 3000mi BS, then 5000mi BS, then 7500mi BS as oil quality and filtration improved. 10000mi is pretty standard now, many are annual unlimited mileage based. They want your wallet annually basically.

·
Registered
19 Quadrifoglio Trofeo White,black with green/white,Dynamic pack, Pano roof,Carbon wheel, Dark wheel
25 Posts
My quad sat on the lot for almost a year and the time based oil change warning is 40 days away. Anyone do a write up for the oil change on our cars yet. I always change the oil myself. May take it in at the year mark for the freebie next year. Looks like Alfa is pretty specific about the type of oil to use too.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a similar situation. Bought a '18 model with a build date of 7/17 in March of '19 as new. Only 400 miles. Oil change warning came on around 4K. I was driving a lot of miles monthly so just pushed the first change until around 7k miles. Getting close to 17K miles now so it's starting to remind me again for the next oil change. I think the $690 quote you are getting for the oil change is ridiculous. I would call other dealerships. I bought a 4yr/50k maintenance plan with my car. The service cost numbers the dealer showed to "sell" me on the plan was only $ 170 per oil change. So your quote is way off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts