Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any horror stories on the 20" wheels and not so perfect road surfaces?
We are getting a Stelvio with 20” wheels and wondering if getting a tire and wheel insurance would be a wise decision.
Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any horror stories on the 20" wheels and not so perfect road surfaces?
We are getting a Stelvio with 20” wheels and wondering if getting a tire and wheel insurance would be a wise decision.
Thanks!
I just purchased my Stevlio w/ 20 in wheels. I got the wheel/tire insurance (with a discount) just for the peace of mind. One of these wheels cost a good coin so it was well worth it IMO.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We decided to go with the tire and wheel insurance since we got these nice five circles 20"s, and driving in the Northeast the tire/wheel damage is a strong possibility.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Think of all the money you'd save if you put all those "insurance" payments in an account for all the extended warranty crap that is offered to you. Over 30 years, I bet I could buy a new car.....

·
Registered
213 Posts
The tire/wheel warranties in the NE can be really useful although I didn’t get it, since I felt a bit safer on 19” wheels. On my prior xjl, with 245/40-20 front and 275/35-rear, in the course of three years I cracked 3 wheels and bent four others, replaced six tires. That policy had unlimited repair and replace. The Alfa policy had some limitations, check that before signing up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve had 20s on my 2018 sport TI and live in the Northeast and I’ve had no problems whatsoever with rims or tires

·
Registered
213 Posts
I guess on the 19” Ti wheels the sidewall is about 126mm, and on the 20’s it is around 114, so more safety margin than on my old XJL at 96mm. Good luck to you!

I hit a monster pothole on I-78 in NJ and broke two wheels, and a big hole on the Lincoln Tunnel helix broke one wheel on the XJL. At $1000 per wheel from Jaguar I was well covered with insurance, not even counting tires and repairs/refinishing to bent wheels.

For the Stelvio I was actually thinking of going to stiffer, lower HR springs but with 18x9 wheels from Alfa9, 255/55-18 tires. If so could get the Euro FSD-type shocks and 18” wheels I would have good ride quality, handling and I think I would be pretty bulletproof at least from pothole damage, maybe not tire damage. I am driving about 30k miles/yr, so not optimistic I’ll avoid every big hole.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't get a wheel and tire insurance on my Bimmer, and it cost me over 3 grand in the tire/wheel repair department in the first 3 years of ownership, granted by default the tires on my BMW are low profile summer performance Michelin Super Sports (currently changed to all-season Conti DWS, and i have had a separate winter tiire/wheel set for some fun in the snow).
Since the Stelvio is a lease I will have to return it in the same condition with minimal wear and tear in 3 years, I decided it was worth it to get the additional coverage for the wheels (with cosmetic) - since it frees up my BMW from the winter driving it would take more winter abuse. On top of this, we moved from the city (where we barely drove) to the suburbs, and expect to put more miles on our cars.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm in SoCal but this past winter the weather was very bad with non-stop rain storm and unusually cold weather. Potholes were everywhere. No issue with the Stelvio 20". I feel reasonably safe driving it around. My Bimmer is a different story. It has 21" and "paper thin" 35 low profile tires. A front tire popped when it hit a monster pothole. Never again with 21". :crying

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
There are more variables than just tire size.

You have to look at the composition of the tire too. How many plies, how tall the sidewall is, etc.

The All Season Conti's that come stock are a pretty tough tire and they are taller than is on most "performance" models with 20" wheels. Helps them hold up even if the grip is not the most aggressive.

The wheels themselves are also a high quality wheel...strong and light.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Not to mention a little driver skill.

·
Registered
213 Posts
LOL. Yeah I knew somebody would say that, driver skill, which I never had enough (skill or money) to be a pro driver but have sufficient skill and training to have saved my life from other so called “drivers” more than once.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I always got the insurance in the past if my car had low profile tires. Now that I have driven SUV's with higher profile tires, I feel it is not necessary. Haven't had an issue in 8 years.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
LOL. Yeah I knew somebody would say that, driver skill, which I never had enough (skill or money) to be a pro driver but have sufficient skill and training to have saved my life from other so called “drivers” more than once.

Why did I know a pro would respond. I do apologize. It was a bit of cheeky humour. How some of us are always curbing wheels, etc whilst the rest of us just don't.

My bigger point was and has always been, if you add up the number of warranty offers you get, refuse them all, and have an event, you are WAYYY in the black. You are, indeed correct about SUV rims rarely needing replacement. The big dubs phenom seems to be fading just as the fart can did 10 years ago. We now put colored edges on our rims , sticker the tires etc.

Point is, you have training and probably see what I see in time to avoid it because you are used to seeing things at speed.....and of course, YOU NEVER HAVE YOUR HEAD BURIED IN A SMARTPHONE!!!! That was the intent of my cheeky skill joke.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
It may be obvious to all, but there is a skill involved, circumstances allowing.
You dont want to hit a pothole or obstruction with your foot on the brakes - far better to be accelerating so the front suspension is extended rather than compressed , and then switch after the front wheels have cleared the obstacle.
Regardless, wide low profile tires have as much sidewall as a regular tire from not too long ago.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yeah I get it. No offense taken! I feel pretty safe on the taller sidewall 19” wheels. The Alfa wheel package had some limitations and I figure I can find a used wheel if needed.

On my last Jag the 96mm sidewalls were not enough, the tire+wheel package was unlimited repair and replace and pretty cheap, and the wheels were a rare 2011-only option with pretty expensive tires. No, I didn’t see in time the massive hole at night that broke two wheels on the Jag and immediately blew out two tires?. XJL had a wonderful 5.0 SC engine and horrendous headlights. Just bad luck.

Of course the only time I let my kids drive the Stelvio they cut a sidewall on Belgian block, drove for a mile on a flat. Needed two new front matched tires. $500. Insurance would only have paid for one. No wheel damage. Nobody hurt. Lucky. ?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts