Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
March 13, 2018 — Chrysler is recalling more than 1,500 model year 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio SUVs to fix problems with the windshield wiper motors that can cause the software to misinterpret the wiper motors as overheating.

In August 2017, Bosch informed Alfa Romeo that wiper motors made from January to July 2017 contain software that may not be meet federal standards.

Chrysler worked with the supplier to test 35 vehicles in multiple countries in various weather conditions. The automaker didn't find problems with visibility, but did find issues with the wiper software that sent incorrect signals to the wipers.

Engineers say the wipers will continue to work only on low speeds, something that could cause visibility problems in certain situations where a high setting would be more appropriate.

The automaker determined the problem started at first production on April 12, 2017, and ended when the incorrect software was updated August 28, 2017.

Chrysler expects the Alfa Romeo Stelvio recall to begin April 25, 2018.

Dealers will replace the wiper motors in the SUVs, but owners with questions may call 800-853-1403 and refer to recall number U24.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
sounds like this won't really affect many US market cars, as very very few of them match those production dates.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Unfortunately my car door says 7/17 /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif( My car may be effected grrr....is it my responsibility to get in touch w them?
check your VIN
https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html
Thank u for the link just checked and surprisingly my VIN is not effected. I am relieved but at the same time worried they haven’t updated their “effected vehicle” database yet- they still got a month until official recal begins. Is this possible?

·
Administrator
176 Posts
Windshield Wipers Limited to Low Speed/FMVSS 104

**Update with recall documents***

Affected Product

2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V147000

Manufacturer Chrysler (FCA US LLC)

Components VISIBILITY

Potential Number of Units Affected 1,505

Summary

Chrysler (FCA US LLC) is recalling certain 2018 Alfa Romeo Stelvio vehicles. The software for the wiper motor may incorrectly interpret the wiper motor as overheating, limiting the windshield wipers to operating only at the low-speed setting. As such, these vehicles fail to comply with the requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 104, "Windshield Wiping and Washing Systems."

Remedy

Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the wiper motor, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin April 25, 2018. Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler's number for this recall is U24.

Associated Documents

Non-Compliance Notice 573 Report/FMVSS 104

Recall Acknowledgement

·
Registered
536 Posts
mine's not on the list. It's funny, tho the mopar site refers to my nearest dealer being autonation Fiat here in columbus ga, and yet they don't sell alfa? Can fiat service alfas? I'm doubting that.

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
mine's not on the list. It's funny, tho the mopar site refers to my nearest dealer being autonation Fiat here in columbus ga, and yet they don't sell alfa? Can fiat service alfas? I'm doubting that.
They list my nearest dealer as the Jeep dealer down the road.

However YES, Fiat, Jeep, even Dodge dealers should be possible to do service, since they are all FCA family dealerships, and thus all have more or less the same access to the dealer databases and service record systems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Old thread, but...

My car wasn't / isn't on this list but I just had a not so fun ride home. Was stuck in a commute home in the snow / ice for about 3 hours and my windshield wipers kept accumulating ice. Only way to (somewhat) be able to see was to keep the wipers on high and pin the defrost on super hot. Well, at not so great times, my car made the decision that high speed was not really necessary and dropped down to normal mode - even though it was definitely set to high speed. When that happened, I couldn't see anything. Pulling over wasn't really a good option because I was on the highway and cars were sliding around everywhere.

Guess I need to call the dealer. Happily I made it home, as she handles the road great in the snow - just wish I could see a little bit in front of me. Time for some bourbon...

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Winter blades were definitely necessary and you do need to get out and snap the blades periodically if stuck in traffic. You would actually be better on intermittent which would let some heat from the windshield get to the blades because I assume your windshield esp at the base was well melted right??

·
Registered
33 Posts
Good idea on the winter blades. I'll pick up a pair this weekend. Thankfully nothing melted and, yes, I was alternating between intermittent, normal and high for that very reason. Traffic was never at a standstill and I could not find a safe spot to pull over on the highway I was on without risking getting plowed into. My main concern is that the wipers didn't respect my request to stay on high a few times when I thought it was necessary. In fact, I found out that by turning them off for a few seconds, it then allowed the high setting. Never experienced this before in my 30 years driving so I'll have it checked out at the dealer since it seems similar to this recall. Traction was great throughout and I never felt like I was not in control of the drive while others were sliding all around me though!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
The toggle is the manual overifde on the wipers BTW. Ato 1, Auto2, low and high. These are seamless blades so short of the old school rubber boots they are quite good. Those are obsolete because they catch too much wind and lift off the windshield on our newer aerodynamic vehicles.

·
Registered
'19 Stelvio
13 Posts
does anyone notice you cant stand up your wipers to clean the windshield, as the edge of the hood does not allow? i think this is the first car i have ever owned that i cant do this with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
does anyone notice you cant stand up your wipers to clean the windshield, as the edge of the hood does not allow? i think this is the first car i have ever owned that i cant do this with?
You can, but you need to read the owner manual first.

Here is the way to stand up the wipers (page 175-176 in EU owner manual) :

WINDSCREEN WIPER
Raising the windscreen wiper blades ("Service position" function)
The "Service position" function allows the driver to replace the windscreen wiper blades more easily. It is also recommended to activate this function when it is snowing and to make it easier to remove any dirt deposits in the area where the blades are normally positioned, when washing.
Activation of the function
To activate this function disable the windscreen wiper (ring nut fig. 187 in position O) before setting the ignition device to STOP.
This function can only be activated within 2 minutes of setting the ignition device to STOP.
To activate this function, move the lever upwards (unstable position) for at least three seconds.

If, after using the function, the ignition device is set back to ON with the blades in a position other than rest position (at the base of the windscreen), they will only return to rest position following a command given using the stalk (stalk upwards, into unstable position) or when a speed of 3 mph (5 km/h) is exceeded.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts