Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I just bought and had delivered a 2018 Stelvio Ti with 20 inch rims, 20,000 miles on it. The vehicle is gorgeous, drives amazing... But im really struggling with the seats. I did not test drive the vehicle ( nor had I ever driven a Stelvio ) but felt confident I would enjoy it from everything I read and saw online.

I still have 5 days to return the vehicle with no penalty.. so I have basically 2 questions.

1) Man the seats on this TI are really hard. They have literally no softness to them at all. Is this something that your body adapts to? Do you guys find these comfortable? Coming from vehicles over the past 20 years where basically every one of them had soft leather.. this is definitely a change. Its really my only concern in keeping the vehicle.

Which leads me to question 2

2) The seats on the Ti Sport seem to LOOK softer. Is this true? Is there a big difference between the 2? Im fairly certain that if the answer is yes, I will just return this and buy a Ti Sport.

Help me out here guys. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Are you saying that the actual leather fabric is hard like in a BMW compared to soft Nappa leather or that the seat cushioning is hard which is affecting your back, etc.?

If the latter, I'd say I find the Ti seats very comfortable, no worse than my 159 or recaro's that I've had previously. I've never owned a German car but have spent a bit of time in them and I reckon when a seat is less supportive it's more uncomfortable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have owned Porsches, BMWs, Mustangs, Trans Ams, Volkswagens.. and I have never had seats like these ever. They are literally just rock hard. I have a Volkswagen Touareg where i thought that Rugged leather of theirs was hard when I first got it.. That feels like soft Nappa leather compared to these. It could be an adjustment period to get used to it.. but right now i just cant see these being comfortable for me on any drive of distance.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
There are 3 seat choices on the 4 cyl, standard, sport, and lusso. Yours may be standard seats. Your option list will say if you have sport or lusso.
As far as the covering, as I dont drive naked it doesnt much matter if I have crush velvet or rhino vinyl, sweat aside.
But as far as comfort and adjustability was concerned, I much preferred the lusso seats.
Others prefer the sport seats, and plenty are perfectly happy with standard.
You see the same thing with the quads, i prefer their standard seats, while many prefer the more confining, maybe stiffer, and less adjustable sparco sport seats.
I'd suggest driving to a dealer and comparing the three seats, if the tactile feel is your concern, or adjustability, you will likely prefer the lusso seats.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine are definitely the standard seats.. and they just feel insanely hard to me. Are the Sport or Lusso seats softer?

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
The question is, are you referring to tactile or foam density? To the touch or cushion?
I expect in both regards you would prefer lusso, the name rather infers it .... I liked the lusso best of the 3, but have a qv and like them too - the primary issue for me was adjustability which the lusso and standard qv seats have plenty of.
But only you can decide which feel right to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am referring to the cushion feel when I sit on them. It feels like there is no padding at all on the seat bottoms. The backs dont really bother me much. Its the seat bottoms just feel like im sitting on cardboard.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am referring to the cushion feel when I sit on them. It feels like there is no padding at all on the seat bottoms. The backs dont really bother me much. Its the seat bottoms just feel like im sitting on cardboard.
Before ordering her car my wife and I test drove a TI Lusso on the dealer's lot. We didn't try other models but can tell you the Lusso seats bottoms/backs are damn comfortable plus the bottom cushion has more adjustments than the other models ( I think).

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The seats are firm. In all the models. Lusso is the softest of the stiff.

My seats feel barely broken in, and still look new.

Personally I love them that way as a firm seat will keep the driver more attentive on a long drive. Done several, never been uncomfortable. Didn't have problems staying attentive either.

The leather itself is stiffer than that in a BMW or Mercedes.

Because it is pigmented, smooth, full grain leather, which means the leather itself is dyed and tanned, leaving it thicker and stiffer than other leather types used in other vehicles. (That doesn't include the edge piping, which must be thinner semi aniline or full aniline by necessity) Give it a few good leather treatments and it does soften up some.

MBZ uses a leather/vinyl blend even on the upgraded interiors (really..they have been sued for it, - false advertising on the "upgraded", "full leather" interior on the S-class, look it up), and the term "Napa" leather in BMWs , is a standard semi-aniline leather which means the leather is tanned, then given a top coating which contains the pigmentation or coloring. What is the coating made of you ask?? Generally colored plastic/vinyl. Again, look it up, BMW says in thier website the leather is semi-aniline...find out what that term means, dont just think it means "premium" because..BMW. That isnt what it means..actually means, kinda cheap. It's the same leather used in the leather furniture at Costco or your standard rent-to-own place.

It is a softer feeling leather tactily, possibly to you that means it's better. If so, to you it is. However understand, besides being softer it is also thinner and wears faster, and is damaged easier by scratches, also less expensive on the wholesale market....so I consider it cheaper. Also..paying for vinyl-covered leather offendes me. Vinyl should be free, or at least discounted.

VAG uses the same leather types as MBZ and BMW depending on model/options. None of the non-Italian/German-Owned Italian makes use pure leather.

Regardless of the differances in leather-types, the cushioning is stiffer than most competitive brands. Makes sense as they are luxury cars with sporting pretensions.

Alfa Romeo is a sports car/SUV with lux pretensions.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have you got heated seats? Perhaps they were fitted incorrectly and that's the hardness that you're feeling?

I would speak to the dealer for sure. Express your opinion as that's what makes these cars better or if there is an issue, they'd be best to sort it out. But yeah I've spent a lot of time driving Touaregs, an A6 and sportier stuff and like all of my passengers, don't have a single complaint about the Alfa seats.

Butts are different and I guess comfort is subjective... Sorry to hear your drive isn't as good as it could be!

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have the standard seats and they are firm. The leather is thick, so not much give. They will probably last for some time, and look good years from now. I do think the leather quality is excellent. The interior smells like leather. (even today and was made 7/17). I am guessing full grain vs the over processed and bonded leather you find in most main line cars today that have the "leather" options. I have had a few of those.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am starting to get more comfortable in the car.. I moved the seats around some.. and I think im just getting more used to it. However.. I may be returning anyway just on principle. The vehicle was sold to me claiming the only defect was a dent on the exhaust. When it arrived, it had two dents on the body ( small minor ones ) some scratches, scrapes and chips. Nothing major.. but damage nonetheless. The place asked me to get an estimate for the repairs.. it was $1600. I didnt expect that but I was hoping to get enough to get it fully detailed, paintless dent repair etc.. They offered me $300.. I told them to come pick it up on principle lol. But I have loved driving it. It really is fun to drive.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey guys,

I just bought and had delivered a 2018 Stelvio Ti with 20 inch rims, 20,000 miles on it. The vehicle is gorgeous, drives amazing... But im really struggling with the seats. I did not test drive the vehicle ( nor had I ever driven a Stelvio ) but felt confident I would enjoy it from everything I read and saw online.

I still have 5 days to return the vehicle with no penalty.. so I have basically 2 questions.

1) Man the seats on this TI are really hard. They have literally no softness to them at all. Is this something that your body adapts to? Do you guys find these comfortable? Coming from vehicles over the past 20 years where basically every one of them had soft leather.. this is definitely a change. Its really my only concern in keeping the vehicle.

Which leads me to question 2

2) The seats on the Ti Sport seem to LOOK softer. Is this true? Is there a big difference between the 2? Im fairly certain that if the answer is yes, I will just return this and buy a Ti Sport.

Help me out here guys. Thanks!
I’ve had the car a year and base seats are not comfortable at all. Flat and not very adjustable . If it’s in the budget definitely get the better seats.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have an 18 ti sport and the seats are fine as long as I dont drive over 3 hours or so. After that my 58 year old body says enough. Im not sure if its the firmness or the support thats the problem. Even with the bolster extended all the way it seems like the bottom cushion is just too short for me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
In the 2018 Ti Lusso, the seats are VERY comfortable.
Wife and I went on a 750 mi round trip last weekend in her Lusso. In the car total of 12 hrs between the two days and felt like we were sitting on our den couch all weekend when we returned home. Great ride in comfort all the way. Beyond the comfort aspect I got to put those turbos to work on the Lusso's first road trip.:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts