Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a devoted 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio owner. The car has given my family and me great pleasure, with almost no problems and terrific dealer service. The Stelvio does everything. But new US Alfa Romeo annual sales totaled 23,790 in 2019, across all three models. That is down approximately 23 percent from last year's sales, which weren't very good, either, in a market which has been robust (approximately 17 million sales) for the last five years. Never before has the US market sold 17 million+ cars per annum for five years in a row. So I do not understand how Alfa - after four years in the United States - can remain viable. Relaunch? I am intending to lease a 2021 model, when my current lease runs out, but I question whether Alfa will be in the country by then. While older Alfa aficionados here berate millennial and younger Alfa buyers - whose automotive values are different from boomers - and sound like they miss carburetors and ignition points, that is surely only a very minor reason Alfa is failing in the United States. What is the solution?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Unfortunately it seems to be going that way. They have 2 offerings and haven’t had anything refreshes for almost 4 years now. One can argue the 2020 stelvio but it’s mainly interior and headlights. Wouldn’t call it a mid cycle refresh. sedan sales are dropping like a hot rock so that just leaves the stelvio. But the dealer network is pretty bad and most people don’t even know what they cars are.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
drive your car, let people see it works, tell them if they ask.
as an "older", I can assure you most of us don't miss carbs and points - but we do see a lot of the "stuff" as missing the point..
read a WSJ article this morning on the AMG GLC; the bulk of the article was on the myriad of control methods for "stuff'.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's a great car, but no one knows that. When I got mine so many people said "I've never heard of it". Most have heard of Alfa, but not the Stelvio, or Giulia. I feel like a real marketing campaign could help. I haven't seen a single advertisement for Alfa. People won't buy their cars if they don't know anything about them. As it stands now, it feels like it's mostly "car guys" who own Alfas. That will need to change if they want more sales.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Really sad but true...my "eye test" confirms. I hardly ever see Alfa's in Northern California period. Maybe 2 a month. I have seen more in Southern California, but still rare. I see probably 4 to 5 Macans every day!!

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think the point, discussed several times across several threads here and in the Giulia forum, is that not enough launch investment was provided when AR re-entered the NA market. Part of the problem was a decreasing overall auto market, Against these head winds, and with not enough advertising, sales did not take off. As an example, in my Boston market, Kelly Auto Group (no longer selling ARs) has a weekly ad spread. That's where I saw AR ads (among all the many brands). I bought my Stelvio from them. However, not enough sales materialized and dealers started closing. Kelly still has its weekly ads, minus the AR section. The huge Boston metropolitan area only has one AR dealer. Now AR is in a 'holding pattern' game. it is hard to get people to trust the brand. And even though I praise the car to whoever asks, the first thing my neighbor asked: how are the Consumer Reports ratings?. It does not matter if you hate CR, the reality is that AR needs a positive brand perception from the public at large and dealers to buy them from. We will see!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m currently leasing both a Stelvio and a Giulia.
My ideas with focus on limiting R&D investment needed:
1. Cut the marketing budget. Instead, get the Dodge/Ram/Jeep sales people to up/cross sell. Tons of people get expensive Grand Cherokee Jeeps and Rams and they’re probably largely unaware of Alfa. Give the sales folks a referral bonus or something if a sale is made.
2. The perception (and joke) is that Alfas have poor quality. Alfa should do what Hyundai/Kia did and extend the warranty. 5 year comprehensive and 10 year power train would be great.
3. They need a mid level power train offering.
4. Both the Giulia and Stelvio need extended models, similar to what many automakers do on their cars. Extend the wheelbase by 2-3 inches, total length by 4-5 inches. This adds back seat room and cargo room, which is another shortcoming vs competition (American market).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Alfa Romeo is a niche brand. I don't think they'll ever sell 100,000+ vehicles in the USA. If they are comfortable at the corporate level to be selling 25-50k and have solid worldwide sales, I'd think (hope) they'd stay in the USA.

·
Registered
91 Posts
We, AR owners, are now also car salesmen/women whether we like it or not. FCA marketing was too thin early-on IMO considering the $$$ (billions I read) it invested into production and the relaunch into 'Merica. Fortunately, the first question my neighbor asked me was, "how does it drive?" Unfortunately, that same neighbor is already a car guy boomer with a Vette and not in the market for a car right now. Full disclosure, I am one year shy of boomer age myself. Too many folks just don't know what we've got here or have heard of AR but are very cautious (unfamiliarity = hesitation when lots of $$ involved). We, current owners, will be a significant factor for near-term and mid-term sales. Like you, I get lots of looks and have had a few conversations with curious strangers at the store or gas station. We need to continue the "free" on the street marketing. Considering the investment, I really don't think FCA is gonna pull the plug on AR here in the next 2-3 years even if sales stay flat. But in five years...?

·
Registered
38 Posts
As mentioned AR is a niche brand.

AR came back to the US with a reputation of poor reliability, and came back to the US with all the reviewers having big issues with their test cars. So...they came back to the US with a bad rep regarding reliability.

Being owned by FCA doesnt help their case. FCA has a following but not in the mainstream, and not in the luxury world (save some Grand Cherokee owners) And by and large FCA's record for reliability stink.

So, what will the future bring? We shall see. I have hopes for the Tonale.

And I say as someone who has been in the FCA world since buying my first American car in 2010, and having had 4 of them in that time period not counting the Alfa. And having, sadly, just sold one (Durango RT) because while I LOVED the vehicle it was starting to need major cash dropped on it at 65k miles that it just shouldn't have needed. So, its not as if the criticisms and concerns are unwarranted.

People want reliable and not to have to think about it. Some of us want fun and are willing to deal with the consequences of it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does anyone know the sales figures for the 70's? How did they compare with overall auto sales then vs. now? I know that back when I had my '69 spider I rarely saw another Alfa.

Tom

·
Registered
68 Posts
God, I hope you are right .

new fca ceo killing Gtv and 8c for tonale is painful but may help brand more in long run
Alfa Romeo is a niche brand. I don't think they'll ever sell 100,000+ vehicles in the USA. If they are comfortable at the corporate level to be selling 25-50k and have solid worldwide sales, I'd think (hope) they'd stay in the USA.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A lot of comments about not seeing many Stelvios which is exactly one of the major reasons I love mine. Where else can you get a car that is wonderful for $45K to $90K that no on else has? The resale is low so enjoy the ride and let the chips fall where they may.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
24,000 Alfa Romeo sales in the US is a number not even remotely achieved in the past AFAIK. There is an apparent misunderstanding of niche brands. I, for one, am happy to not be experiencing Audi/BMW syndrome which has completely diluted the exclusivity of the brands. They are a dime a dozen just like all the Asian cars now.....even more so in some wealthier areas.....people think they look rich with their leased vehicles.....

Another post that makes me laugh is folks thinking 65K vehicles should be maintenance free. At that age most need major fluids, brakes, rotors.....etc etc etc. 60K tires are the biggest farce of them all. The only way they last that long is if they don't create much friction (grip) anyway. I am very happy replacing my tires every 3-4 years....worn out yet these same folks that complain about tire wear blow money like water at Starbucks etc....to each his own.

Back to Alfa sales....harvest, EVERY SECTOR IS WAY DOWN OVER PAST FEW YEARS....Sergio's single biggest error was ever thinking Alfa and Maserati would be volume sellers. Let them continue to sell in niche volume numbers. Let the Tonale (hottest section of entire automotive market which Sergio missed out on btw) sales hopefully takeoff and let it be their volume vehicle. Even if Alfa dealerships (like Fiat) have to be folded into the rest of the FCA architecture, or maybe more wisely put all the Italian brands under 1 roof, I don't see an eminent demise.I am a classic conquest sales for FCA. I got back into an Alfa showroom and a year later added a Maserati to my stable. I will also be carefully considering another RRS v Levante in next few years.....this stuff takes time. 4C is a great car but definitely not in Evora's league from a driver's standpoint. That market has evaporated so I understand its loss even though a Quad 4C with 350Hp would have been very intriguing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
As an example, in my Boston market, Kelly Auto Group (no longer selling ARs) has a weekly ad spread. That's where I saw AR ads (among all the many brands). I bought my Stelvio from them. However, not enough sales materialized and dealers started closing. Kelly still has its weekly ads, minus the AR section. The huge Boston metropolitan area only has one AR dealer.
Kelly was an Alfa/Maserati dealer and had trouble selling the Maseratis. They wanted to continue as Alfa only but FCA wouldn’t allow them to
With respect to Boston metro, Herb Chambers has thee dealerships within an hour or so drive (Wayland, Millbury and Warwick). There is also a new Alfa/Maserati dealership opening soon on Soldier’s Field Road (not Chambers).

·
Registered
8 Posts
4C is a great car but definitely not in Evora's league from a driver's standpoint. [/QUOTE said:
Sorry, I disagree. I sold my Evora and purchaseS a 4C coupe and have never looked back. I had an ‘11S and, while I loved it, found it too GT-esque for my taste.
The 4C provides more of a raw experience which suits my needs more. As a daily driver, the Evora wins hands down, but I have a Stelvio for that!
Just my .02.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Thanks @sutolarove . I had a nice experience at Kelly so I wish they could have continued. I wonder where in Soldier's Field Row the new dealership will be. According to Google maps is 4.3 miles long. It will be positive for competitive reasons to have another non HC dealership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks @sutolarove . I had a nice experience at Kelly so I wish they could have continued. I wonder where in Soldier's Field Row the new dealership will be. According to Google maps is 4.3 miles long. It will be positive for competitive reasons to have another non HC dealership.
1650 Soldiers Field Road. Old site of Martignetti Liquors.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
drive your car, let people see it works, tell them if they ask.
as an "older", I can assure you most of us don't miss carbs and points - but we do see a lot of the "stuff" as missing the point..
read a WSJ article this morning on the AMG GLC; the bulk of the article was on the myriad of control methods for "stuff'.
Missing WHOSE point? That is my point precisely.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts