Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Model: 2019 Stelvio Sport (New and fresh off the lot)
Leased: February 2, 2020
Milage: 1,300 (as of April 4, 2020)

Greetings Fellow Stelviorians!

Wasn't sure if anyone else has experienced this, but the dealer sent a tech to my residence to perform a recent recall update on April 4th, 2020. While the tech was here, I asked if it was normal for the engine to sound like it was mis-firing every so often. I was told that the Stelvio's tend to run a little rough after first starting and once warmed-up it should go away. I didn't think much of it and just considered that normal.

I drove the vehicle the day after the update and both the Check Engine and the Auto Stop/Start indicators on my dash turned on and stayed on and the engine mis-firing seemed to be more prevalent and much more noticeable.

I called the dealer and they sent the tech back out to scan the vehicle to try to diagnose the problem. The scan did record the engine mis-firing. So, he reset the Check Engine indicator and asked that I drive the vehicle like normal and advise them if the indicator turned back on.

The next day, I started the vehicle and again both the Check Engine and Auto Stop/Start Disabled indicators stayed on. I called the dealer to let them know and they sent a tech out again. Only this time they brought me a loaner and took mine back to their shop.

After a few days, I received a follow-up call from the dealer's service department letting me know that they were still working on my Stelvio and trying to determine if the issue is mechanical or electrical. They can see that the mis-fire issue is happening on cylinder-1. So they moved the ignition coil to cylinder-2 with the same result. (I am by no means a mechanic and will just accept their word on this). They also stated that they were in contact with Alfa Romeo for assistance with the issue.

In my last follow-up call from them, they stated that Alfa Romeo was having them perform compression tests and that they would call me once AR had results.

We're going on three weeks now.

Does anyone have any words of advice? When do I raise the red flag and start asking the dealer to replace it? I certainly don't want a brand new car that has had an engine majorly repaired or replaced.

With all this being said, I still give KUDOS to Maserati of Anaheim Hills. The fact that I haven't had to visit the dealership and that they have come to me during this pandemic exemplifies that they care about their customers and its appreciated. I just don't want to get stuck with a lemon.

I will state that the loaner they sent me is a 2020 Stelvio base model with no installed options. The driving experience, noise dampening and the interior astetics seem more refined. Also, the addition of a touch-screen is something I miss in the 2019 version. Not to mention the feel of all the nobs and dials on the center console don't feel as "plasticy" and placement is much better.

Anyways... That's my story and we will see how it unfolds.

Stay safe!

Steve

·
Registered
60 Posts
Three weeks is a long time for them to track a problem.. it does sound like you have a good dealer and if you have faith in the service department then wait for them to figure it out. Let us know how it works out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Three weeks is a long time for them to track a problem.. it does sound like you have a good dealer and if you have faith in the service department then wait for them to figure it out. Let us know how it works out.
Thanks for the reply. They called me yesterday and said they were going to replace the fuel injectors as advised by Alfa Romeo. So, we shall see... :unsure:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE:

I received my Stelvio back from Service today. Again, with the same white glove treatment and delivery.

The way the car idles now is totally different even when compared to when I first drove it off the lot - It's much smoother and quieter. No more mis-fires that I can tell of or notice. I've attached the repair order in case anyone was interested.

IMG_1016.jpeg

I hope this can help anyone that experiences the same issue.

Thanks for reading and I'll keep this post updated if any other issues arise.

Steve

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sounds like the car came from the factory with defective injectors. So you had no reference to know that it wasn't normal.

My first Alfa was a new 1969 Spider. It had a slight stumble when starting off in first gear. Since it was that way when I drove it off from the dealer, I didn't know any better either. The independent mechanic that I was using finally told me that wasn't right and asked to keep it overnight. He came in after hours so he could work without being interrupted and went through everything in detail. He found that in one of the two Weber Carbs one of the jets was wrong. Probably put in at the Weber factory before being delivered to Alfa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
UPDATE:

I received my Stelvio back from Service today. Again, with the same white glove treatment and delivery.

The way the car idles now is totally different even when compared to when I first drove it off the lot - It's much smoother and quieter. No more mis-fires that I can tell of or notice. I've attached the repair order in case anyone was interested.

View attachment 18946

I hope this can help anyone that experiences the same issue.

Thanks for reading and I'll keep this post updated if any other issues arise.

Steve
Thank you for posting the problem and remedy. I have the same problem, but with a 2020 my Stelvio Quadrifoglio with now just under 1,000 miles on the odometer.

The misfires are on cylinder #1 and #2. Check Engine light coming on didn't happen when I first noticed the misfiring and occurred when I floored the accelerator and the car was about to shift (had in full auto, not using paddles) at 7000rpm redline. Big cut in power, snorting and struggling. Thought something in fuel or filter, didn't press. Ran another couple tanks of gas as works well under normal loads, but again, when I pushed the accelerator it did the same thing and this time threw a Check Engine light.

Next day right to the dealer. They cleared the codes and replicated the problem. Replaced all spark plugs, replaced coil on #2 and shifted the other coils around (reason was when they replicated the fault, only #2 showed misfire). Gave me the car back. Promptly, the same problem occurred and light came on. #1 and #2 again misfiring. Head scratcher and a Star report filed. Like you, they wanted compression test of the offending cylinders as well as an internal video. Cylinder compression within factory tolerance. Star said to change a sensor on the cylinders, did that, but problem came back today again. Back to Star.

I'm afraid, as you were about getting a new motor for a new car. Imagine the potential for problems down the line. I'll guide the tech on the fuel injectors.....

Perhaps this sound byte link works so you can hear my engine misfire..

Mp4 Sound Clip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts