Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We drive the car on Wednesday, and come Friday it's dead. First it unlocked with a key fob button, but when I got inside to start it it said no key fob present. I put the key fob on the charging pad, and tried again. The tach with speedometer did a weird dance with various warning lights flashing on the dash, and then it just died. No lights, no door locks, it's completely dead. Gonna call the dealer and see if they can come and pick it up with a flatbed. The car has under 4500 miles.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My Alfa dealer service manager said that the bad batch of Varta batteries were in the late 17s and early 18s. I've had no problems with my Varta battery on my 2019, but I put a charger/maintainer on it when not using the car for a few days just in case. I did notice that all the 2020s in the showroom are hooked up to battery maintainers (with the hoods shut on the cords) and plugged into outlets in the showroom floor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It is common sense that if the car sat on the lot for too long (typical), or isn't driven enough regularly for sufficient distance (10 mi + without start/stop, in my view) the battery will die. Thankfully, probably warranty for you. Hopefully it isn't wiring harness related instead.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Do not jump. I'd let it try to fully charge first so you avoid spikes in Voltage!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hooked it up to my other car via under the hood ports, and was able to jump it after 20 minutes of donor charging. Every light came on as a malfunction and cleared up after a couple of miles of driving. I guess it’s gonna be a bit difficult to keep the car charged now since we are under stay in home guidelines.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! I remember a month or so ago the infotainment system shut itself off and wouldn't turn on for a bit. Maybe it was an early sign of the battery charging issues. I'll keep that in mind from now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We drive the car on Wednesday, and come Friday it's dead. First it unlocked with a key fob button, but when I got inside to start it it said no key fob present. I put the key fob on the charging pad, and tried again. The tach with speedometer did a weird dance with various warning lights flashing on the dash, and then it just died. No lights, no door locks, it's completely dead. Gonna call the dealer and see if they can come and pick it up with a flatbed. The car has under 4500 miles.
I had the same problem a couple of months ago. A dead battery turned into a three week ordeal when the flatbed that came to pick up my QV damaged the passenger side rear wheel, steering housing and front differential. The reason it took three weeks was the initial parts that were ordered and shipped arrived damaged. The next set of parts had to be shipped from Italy. The loaner was VW Tiguan. Did I mention I was in another state when this occurred? The towing company did cover the $7K bill.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Holy poomonkey!

Glad they covered it, but do you know what they did to do all that damage? These things aren't exactly delicate flowers.

Hoist it onto the bed, while in gear and with the vehicle badly misaligned so the wheels slam into the sides of the bed and force the front wheels to turn while the steering is locked?

....crazy...

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
If a no start, these should be moved with the dollies. Pick it up, slide them under one set , pick up the other end and go.
Dragging onto a flat bed ... bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Holy poomonkey!

Glad they covered it, but do you know what they did to do all that damage? These things aren't exactly delicate flowers.

Hoist it onto the bed, while in gear and with the vehicle badly misaligned so the wheels slam into the sides of the bed and force the front wheels to turn while the steering is locked?

....crazy...
It was in my friend's garage with the wheel's slightly turned. The tow driver, bless his heart, had no clue about putting it on dollies. Nor did he call his dispatcher for help. He dragged it partially out of the garage. In fear of it hitting the doorway of the garage, he tried to jack up the front end to get the front tires off the ground with a wheeled car jack. He set the jack on the housing. He got the tires about 2 inches off the ground. After about 4 inches of dragging, the jack slipped. Down came the QV on top of the jack! He shifted the jack and removed it from under the QV. He continued to drag it out of the garage and onto the flatbed. Getting it off was just as bad. It was "bounced" off the flatbed.

The accountability was either with Alfa Romero Customer Care or the towing company because my first and only call about the issue was to Customer Care. Customer Care initially told me I would have to rent a vehicle on my dime and get reimbursed. I said okay. I informed them I would rent a Bentley Continental or a Rolls Royce Wraith. The rep actually started gasping for air! That is when the director of service, Carson, said "We will find him something to drive." Kudos to Greg Main, service advisor, Carson Garrison, director of service, and Kirk Fredrick, general manager, at Essence in Hurst, Texas. They did a good job under the circumstances. I will admit was not thrilled about not having another Alfa as a loaner. Not having it for that time makes me appreciate more now. I have not had any other issues so far. I really must love that vehicle. I am looking to buy some tires. The rears are pretty bald. Looking at either the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+or the Continental DWS06.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Wow...I would have lost it...

Good for you for getting a loaner...plus, A VW Tiguan??? Must'a been sweet! I mean that's an Audi design...built in a Porsche factory!!! (Depending on the year/model) Thats like a sporty Bentley..probably hard to give back what with all that German engineering superiority and all those "Top-Notch" interior surfaces...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I had a Tiguan loaner last fall when Evora was getting serviced. BORING, anemic ...bland, German Chevy Equinox. Not being sarcastic.. I really hated it!!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I was being sarcastic....the Germans have nothing on this vehicle's quality. (Still rather have a Tiguan as a loaner than a RAV4 though)

2 years later my Alfa interior looks brand new...couldnt even say that about my Boxster.

The Boxster was never exposed to off-roading, never climbed in and out of the interior covered in gritty sand and mud, never had three dogs jumping all over the leather..or any dogs for that matter, I never even ate in the Boxster....in the Stelvio I often grab takeout..drive into the desert and enjoy dinner under the stars. I dont just eat in the Stelvio..I eat Indian food in there...if anthing could ruin an interior it would be the lingering smell of curry....

But like I said..Stelvio is head and shoulders better condition with less obvious wear..especially on the leather.

Stelvio smells like a leather store inside...the Porsche smelled like an old VW.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wow...I would have lost it...

Good for you for getting a loaner...plus, A VW Tiguan??? Must'a been sweet! I mean that's an Audi design...built in a Porsche factory!!! (Depending on the year/model) Thats like a sporty Bentley..probably hard to give back what with all that German engineering superiority and all those "Top-Notch" interior surfaces...
I HAD to show restraint. Going to jail due to losing it would not have made the situation any better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My Alfa dealer service manager said that the bad batch of Varta batteries were in the late 17s and early 18s. I've had no problems with my Varta battery on my 2019, but I put a charger/maintainer on it when not using the car for a few days just in case. I did notice that all the 2020s in the showroom are hooked up to battery maintainers (with the hoods shut on the cords) and plugged into outlets in the showroom floor.
The reason they do that is to keep the battery charged due to, hopefully, all of the door openings, ignition on commands, power lift gate demos... that will drain the battery. They don’t want to nor should they run the engine or put miles on the vehicle just to keep the battery charged.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts