Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope it’s not true, where are the LED headlights?

Since they are doing a refresh why not upgrade the exterior

For the interior look forward to seeing some reviews on the touchscreen infrotainment

·
Registered
109 Posts
It's kindof a big deal to redo the new skins.
Plus then you have to STOCK all those new skins for damage/repairs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's kindof a big deal to redo the new skins.
Plus then you have to STOCK all those new skins for damage/repairs.
They could use the existing headlight housing and just upgrade the bulbs to be LED

Xenon is getting outdated, all its competitors have either optional or standard LEDs

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
You can replace your Xenon bulbs with LED ones if you want...there are aftermarket adapters. Probably won't be impressed with what happens to your lighting though.

Xenon is not outdated.

Xenon is an older tech true...it is also a better tech as defined by shining further down the road,thereby providing better visibility and increased safety when driving at high speeds at night.

Advanced laser lighting systems (not allowed in the US) are the improvements over xenon, not LED.

LED is cheaper for the manufacturer (and for you to replace), more energy efficient (although they contribute to increased heat unless they have external cooling) and are better than Xenon in terms of spread, or width, of the beam, and often have a higher lux rating at the low beam, they also - theoretically - last longer. So they are sold as an upgrade by most manufacturers.

However even with a higher lux, the increased spread of LED bulbs is as much of a negative as a positive. The light spreads wide instead of shining down the road, as such it does not illuminate as far down the road. The light is bright up close but dims quickly as you get away from the source.

90% of those standard LED lights do not pass the NHTSA standards for lighting. The Stelvio on the other hand does very well in those tests low or high beams.

The reason so many owners have an issue with oncoming traffic tending to flash the Stelvio at night is due to the xenon lights having superior penetration over most lights including LED. That means they shine further down the road, and at the same distance (ie: 1000 ft) and elevation they will appear brighter.

As someone who lives in a rural area with little to no street lighting the difference is extreme. My neighbors have the headlights you want...they are all have anxiety driving at night...

I do not.

Again...don't always believe the hype.

If all you care about is "cool-looking" signature lighting designs allowed by LED lights....fine. Many people do define that as "better"...although really, " better by being more impressive to bystanders" is more correct. In terms of providing safe illumination of the road ahead of you at 75mph...they are in no way better than xenon.

Otherwise, there are exterior changes coming to the 2020 Stelvio. Mainly you can get body color side cladding like the Quad has on the 4 cylinder models.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You can replace your Xenon bulbs with LED ones if you want...there are aftermarket adapters. Probably won't be impressed with what happens to your lighting though.

Xenon is not outdated.

Xenon is an older tech true...it is also a better tech as defined by shining further down the road,thereby providing better visibility and increased safety when driving at high speeds at night.

Advanced laser lighting systems (not allowed in the US) are the improvements over xenon, not LED.

LED is cheaper for the manufacturer (and for you to replace), more energy efficient (although they contribute to increased heat unless they have external cooling) and are better than Xenon in terms of spread, or width, of the beam, and often have a higher lux rating at the low beam, they also - theoretically - last longer. So they are sold as an upgrade by most manufacturers.

However even with a higher lux, the increased spread of LED bulbs is as much of a negative as a positive. The light spreads wide instead of shining down the road, as such it does not illuminate as far down the road. The light is bright up close but dims quickly as you get away from the source.

90% of those standard LED lights do not pass the NHTSA standards for lighting. The Stelvio on the other hand does very well in those tests low or high beams.

The reason so many owners have an issue with oncoming traffic tending to flash the Stelvio at night is due to the xenon lights having superior penetration over most lights including LED. That means they shine further down the road, and at the same distance (ie: 1000 ft) and elevation they will appear brighter.

As someone who lives in a rural area with little to no street lighting the difference is extreme. My neighbors have the headlights you want...they are all have anxiety driving at night...

I do not.

Again...don't always believe the hype.

If all you care about is "cool-looking" signature lighting designs allowed by LED lights....fine. Many people do define that as "better"...although really, " better by being more impressive to bystanders" is more correct. In terms of providing safe illumination of the road ahead of you at 75mph...they are in no way better than xenon.

Otherwise, there are exterior changes coming to the 2020 Stelvio. Mainly you can get body color side cladding like the Quad has on the 4 cylinder models.
What's the kelvin temp on the current Stelvio's xenon?

So the xenon output on the Stelvio is even brighter and aiming better than the competitors' LEDs? that being the X3, Macan, GLC, F-Pace, Velar etc? That's interesting to know.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
2019 X3 only the top package has a good score. Otherwise marginal.

2020 Q3 again only Prestige and above trims are good. Notice none of the options provide curve -adaption

GLC the same..top levels loaded with options only...

They don't have a rating for the Stelvio just the Guilia, when looking at the rating, understand the base Stelvio comes standard with the optional Guilia headlights. https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle/alfa-romeo/giulia-4-door-sedan/2019

Article about how 67% of all vehicles rated by the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety) don't pass the headlight tests https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/headlights-improve-but-base-models-leave-drivers-in-the-dark

Sorry I was remembering wrong when I said NHTSA..and the stat percentage, it is a fault of mine when speaking from memory...although I am positive small and midsized SUVs in particular have a higher percentage of bad headlights than other types of vehicles. Point remains, most vehicles have bad headlights and being LED is not the deciding factor in if they are good or not. Even how far the headlights shine down the road is not the deciding factor in how well they work...the real main factors are contrast - which allows a greater sense of depth, equal illumination of both sides of the road, and control of glare. All things the Stelvios headlight excel at...even the base model.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hope it’s not true, where are the LED headlights?

Since they are doing a refresh why not upgrade the exterior

For the interior look forward to seeing some reviews on the touchscreen infrotainment
This was just quick interior and infotainment refresh to address biggest complaints...

Real restyling is scheduled in 2021 maybe as 2022my.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts