Alfa Romeo Stelvio Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several issues with Alfa regarding boneheaded quality shortcuts.

like:
Why is there under hood padding around the 2021 stelvio fender arches? why are wiring connectors under here exposed?
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Bumper

Is this a great way for rust and electrical issues to start?

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I think the only thing that the entier world agrees on is 2021 is worse than 2018.....2018 was freaking sweet. We all want to go back to 2018 and stay there.

Otherwise the padding is probably to address the complaints of road noise. This assumes it's the same on both sides.

The wiring, ehh. Looks more like exposed wires than connectors, but maybe I'm not seeing the right thing regardless, while its not the best finishing job isn't a problem.

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Lusso Verde Visconti
54 Posts
I've had several vehicles with that type of wheel well lining. It's to cut down on noise from road debris thrown from the tires.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to the garage to pull the instrument cluster apart to look for issues. I mean, it's an Alfa right? There has to be something wrong with it somewhere and I'm gonna find it...

·
Registered
2021 Stelvio Ti Sport
261 Posts
I took a look at my '21. Mine are exposed in the back also. The plastic shield though on yours is hanging and not sure what that is from. Mine is a lot cleaner. I only see one shield and its tied so it can't fall off the wire. I have 20s so there isn't much to see on mine as not much room with the bigger wheels. My car was built in 2020 also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The '18 was plastic and covered everything. Never seen that on any vehicle ever. Is that being picky?

If it is then count me out to think about buying used- as it will be a real alfa then, a rusty unreliable **** box, super great for the brand reputation.
Think the brand and the models could be so much more- and with the company not spending a dime more and increasing sales. Just juggle around the options, or on the premium models like the quad have options for interior color, or porsche it out with options for everything (colored wheel caps $300, etc), adaptive suspension, stereo only option, leather dash only option, etc. It just seems very.... italian where the CEO in 2020 was like hey you guys should make the plastic bits match the paint. WFT is the CEO doing? I would be down in engineering with a stopwatch and a magnifying glass at least twice before the model goes live.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
If Alfa rebadged a chassis designed by another brand...they'de have money for all the window dressing too. Just like Porsche does. If Alfa ran thier company like Porsche they would have rebadged a Jeep, added special chassis tuning and a bespoke interior, a billion options and called it a day. (Basically what Jeep and Maserati are doing with Alfa) Which would have been cheaper and easier than what they did.

Instead they built a brand new factory and a brand new chassis. Which is too expensive for Porsche, who has been known to build their cars at the same factory as VWs. Porsche makes an amazing vehicle..so does Alfa. Arguably more amazing, definitely better looking.

As far as the insulation causing rust..how would that be? You think plastic shrouding doesn't cause rust? What, like water doesn't get under the plastic? The body is treated and painted to stop rust..that isn't what the insulation/cladding is for.

You realize Mercedes uses that type of insulation under the wheel wells, Lincoln....lots of brands, over lots of years. The only real problem with it is it's heavier than what was used in 2018...

·
Registered
275 Posts
I am no automotive manufacturing expert (although I hail from the great state of Michigan home of the Motor city).
At any rate, my claim was back in '18 the stelvio volumes were so low that it was basically a hand-built vehicle. They didn't have time or resources to automate it or cut corners. Meh..I guess you could argue if its hand built it's subject to
assembly errors...but 2 years down the line (bought mine in 19)...it's been rock solid.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I hate to be that new person, but I am, and I guess I will be.
I just don't get what the negativity here is about in this thread, the early cars were no paragon of quality, between preventable water ingress issues, assorted recalls, for all intents the 2022 model cars are the same platform as the 2016, 17, 18, 19, 20, and 21, if anything reliability and build quality have improved over time.

Are there any real and hard facts as to why someone would be adamant the newer production vehicles are that bad? I'm not seeing that in forum posts.

I don't understand "oh no, they removed options and the cars are now all crap" either.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I hate to be that new person, but I am, and I guess I will be.
I just don't get what the negativity here is about in this thread, the early cars were no paragon of quality, between preventable water ingress issues, assorted recalls, for all intents the 2022 model cars are the same platform as the 2016, 17, 18, 19, 20, and 21, if anything reliability and build quality have improved over time.

Are there any real and hard facts as to why someone would be adamant the newer production vehicles are that bad? I'm not seeing that in forum posts.

I don't understand "oh no, they removed options and the cars are now all crap" either.
Oh my....you're asking for it! 😆😆😆 I do have to say I chuckled when I heard low production made these cars hand build.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts